This is from a lesson on this site.
About Contrapuntal Motion

Similar.
Similar motion is when 2 parts move in the same direction simultaneously while compensating for the key. This is quite a bit more complicated than parallel motion. In order to harmonize using similar motion, you must first determine the key of the original part. The example's key is the key of C. Now, figure out the scale degrees of each note for that particular key.

..Note: C D E F G A B C
Degree: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

Pick an interval you wish to harmonize in. Most common are 3rds and 6ths. I'll use 3rds as an example. Find the note of the interval above the key. For the example this would be E, since E is the 3rd of C. Now determine the mode that suits that note - in our case this would be E Phrygian.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/counterpoint_explained_contrapuntal_motion.html

How do you figure out the mode ?
I know what modes are btw.
Just dont know how to figure when to use them ??
But how do you figure out whats in the red text?
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Last edited by iruka2998 at Sep 13, 2007,
Since E is the third note, you would use the corrosponding mode, which would be Phrygian. The order of the modes is the same for whatever you do, so:

Ionian C
Dorian D
Phrygian E
Lydian F
Mixolydian G
Aeolian A
Locrian B

^See how it's E Phrygian? Third note and third mode.

That's the order of modes, you can memorise them and then apply them to any major scale, so that you can find out what modes to use, like you could use G Mixolydian or whatever, depending on what ya wanna do.

You probably already know this knowing about modes and all, just the wording of the lesson is perhaps a little confusing.
yeah I did know that, but what you said has cleared up for me

so just to make sure I get it, if it were the 6th note, you'd use A Aeolian ?

What if your in a key other than C-Major, would the Modes still be in the same order ?
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Quote by iruka2998

What if your in a key other than C-Major, would the Modes still be in the same order ?

the modes would be in the same order just corresponding with that key's major scale, the way i remember it is changing the spaces between the notes with tones and semitones so major is TTstTTTst and you just move the order around.
If i were to harmonise E-Major in 3rds, would this be correct

E MAJOR: E F# G# A B C# D#
DEGREE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G Phrygian G# A B C# D# E F#
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Quote by iruka2998

Yeah, it would be A Aeolian. The guy above me basically said it.

And the order of the modes is the same no matter what key you're in.
i think so, but you made some spelling mistakes phyrigian and locrian are the correct spellings (sorry i just feel the need to correct things) im pretty sure you've got it correct.
If i were to harmonise E-Major in 3rds, would this be correct

E MAJOR: E F# G# A B C# D#
DEGREE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G Phyrigian G# A B C# D# E F#

--- and yeah sorry for the spelling mistakes, im bad when it comes to those dodgy mode names
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Quote by Fenderboy-'06
what do you mean by harmonising E-major in 3rds?
it looks like you have the idea though.

Like what was done in that lesson below

Pick an interval you wish to harmonize in. Most common are 3rds and 6ths. I'll use 3rds as an example. Find the note of the interval above the key. For the example this would be E, since E is the 3rd of C. Now determine the mode that suits that note - in our case this would be E Phrygian. Line up both keys along with degrees as shown:

...C major: C D E F G A B C
...Degrees: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
E Phrygian: E F G A B C D E

Now you know that whenever a C occurs in the original part, you must harmonize it with an E. D harmonizes with F, E with G, etc. Note that the interval between D and F is a MINOR third, not a major one. This will bring out the characteristics of your harmonization and key.
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ