Hey all .
Looking for a little help if possible.
I have wired several guitars but they were pretty straight forward 2 wire set ups.
I bought a couple of rail p/ups and received an old single coil p/u with them.There are no identifiable markings on it. It has 1 black 1 red and 1 blue wire. It looks like any other s/coil except that it is twice as tall and a little fatter.At first I thought maybe it was a stacked p/u and that might explain the extra wire but when I tried to take the cover off I noticed that the big bar magnet is on the inside instead of on the bottom,also while trying to remove the cover it looked like everything was going to seperate from the steel base plate so I stopped. Resistance across the black and red wires is 7.9.
Anyway too late to make a long story short but does anyone know anything about this type of p/u and what do I do with the blue wire. Sorry no pics of it yet....

Thanks in advance.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
sounds like a stacked/double coil of some sort. whats the resistance from the other wires? thats where youll find your answer.
I can't believe I did not put that in the first post.(Brain Fart)...
The only reading I can get off the blue wire is 0.00 and that is by grounding to the steel plate if I ground to any of the other 2 wires the meter stays blank. there is no bare ground wire on this pick up just the black red and blue.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
I'd imagine that the blue is ground. The red is hot and black is negative. But they may not be the case. Plug into an amp and play with it until you figure it out would be my best advice!
I've got a few old s.c pups and they are like that... try connecting the red and blue and then take a reading... on my pups, 1 wire is hot, 1 is coil ground, and 1 is case ground (they have metal covers...they are from the '60's so yeah...)

EDIT: Just in case of a misunderstanding: twist the red and blue together and connect the meter to the black and to the connected red/blue. If that doesn't work, try other combos of twisting the wires together.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 14, 2007,