My guitar is an ESP LTD F-50. No matter how much I tinker with the truss rod and string height, I cannot achieve a playable action without unacceptable fret buzz (to the point of not being able to hear some notes). I have had this problem with standard string sets with gauges varying .10 to .13 (I tune D standard and drop C).

The main problem is on frets 8 and 12+ on the low string, though also somewhat on the higher frets of the top two strings. I have to raise the action to an unplayable level to eliminate fret buzz here. If I tighten the truss rod, then I end up with buzz on the lower frets, indicating that the neck needs more relief. However, the buzz remains.

Is there an easy answer? Even when the action isn't very low, it seems like the string, when fretted, contacts the next fret, thus not permitting the note to sound.

Should I just buy another guitar? If so, what's a relatively cheap (budget $400 used max) guitar with 24 frets and at least 1 humbucker (in bridge position), and no problems with the action like I'm having?
I believe the strings I am currently using are Ernie Ball .011, .014, .018, .028, .038, .048. A set of .09 does not retain tension when downtuned, in my experience.
Quote by dopaminergic
I believe the strings I am currently using are Ernie Ball .011, .014, .018, .028, .038, .048. A set of .09 does not retain tension when downtuned, in my experience.

i have this guitar, but i expirience fret buzz on the low e and i use 10's (tune halve step down)
If you are good at adjusting the truss rod and careful about setting the action, then the three things left are: High frets, warped neck or possibly the nut is cut too deep.
The nut can be replaced fairly cheaply.
High frets can be planed. Warped necks (twists, other things beyond truss rod adjustments) need to be heat-pressed. If you determine either of these is the problem I would advise taking it to a tech, if the guitar is worth the investment.