basically all i need to no is, if a wah peddle for an electric guitar can be used for a bass guitar. I want to buy my friends old one ive already tested it out and it seem to work fine buy will their be and damage or is their not difference between a wah for a bass or guitar?
the frequencies are different, it won't hurt the pedal or your bass, but try out a bass wah to see if you like it more.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Should work exactly the same without any trouble..I don't see what could go wrong with it.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by AvengedThrice
Should work exactly the same without any trouble..I don't see what could go wrong with it.

It'll sound like shit, that's what will go wrong with it. Wah pedals often struggle to leave guitar tones intact. They will completely destroy a bass guitars tone.

Threadstarter: Buy a wah pedal designed for bass. There are enough out there.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Yaay! It's been way too long since I can respond to a post like this.

I'm willing to say your guitarist's wah didn't work well with your bass at all. Just because you heard it go wah wah doesn't mean it'll work well. Wah pedals roll of a whole heaping tonne of bottom end so when you sweep downwards the tone doesn't muddy up and you don't get horrible distorting.

There's a reason there are bass wahs and there are reasons there are guitar wahs. Most good bass wahs have a low-pass filter. The filter does exact what it says it does - it passes all the low frequencies. That way, when you step on the wah, you don't disappear when playing with a band. Sure, a guitar wah might sound cool if you've never ever heard a proper bass effect in your life, but in a band, you'll just drop out. Secondly, the vocal quacky wah range of a bass and a guitar are totally different. The guitar frequency range that quacks is near to the top of the bass range, instead of in the middle, where it should be. Therefore, you'll be wahing in the bass-treble range, leaving the cutting mids out of your signal, while completely rolling off your bottom end. Why don't you just turn off your amp?

But of course, Cliff did it. Yep, he did it. The fact that there were no bass wahs back then is a total coincidence, because he probably would have used a guitar one anyway, right? Oh, and he died horribly, so everything he's ever done was the greatest thing ever. Yes, that just happened.

Anyway, I've always been against certain guitar effects on bass - wah and distortion. No, the pedal won't physically damage anything, but I might
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ok thanks for the help. ill probably end up saving for a bass wah but until then i might as well buy his cus hes selling it to me for half price
Quote by SystemOVADown
ok thanks for the help. ill probably end up saving for a bass wah but until then i might as well buy his cus hes selling it to me for half price

If you buy it, even at half the price, you will be wasting your money, will sound like utter crap and will be a fool. But go ahead.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by thefitz
Yaay! It's been way too long since I can respond to a post like this.

I'm willing to say your guitarist's wah didn't work well with your bass at all. Just because you heard it go wah wah doesn't mean it'll work well. Wah pedals roll of a whole heaping tonne of bottom end so when you sweep downwards the tone doesn't muddy up and you don't get horrible distorting.

There's a reason there are bass wahs and there are reasons there are guitar wahs. Most good bass wahs have a low-pass filter. The filter does exact what it says it does - it passes all the low frequencies. That way, when you step on the wah, you don't disappear when playing with a band. Sure, a guitar wah might sound cool if you've never ever heard a proper bass effect in your life, but in a band, you'll just drop out. Secondly, the vocal quacky wah range of a bass and a guitar are totally different. The guitar frequency range that quacks is near to the top of the bass range, instead of in the middle, where it should be. Therefore, you'll be wahing in the bass-treble range, leaving the cutting mids out of your signal, while completely rolling off your bottom end. Why don't you just turn off your amp?

But of course, Cliff did it. Yep, he did it. The fact that there were no bass wahs back then is a total coincidence, because he probably would have used a guitar one anyway, right? Oh, and he died horribly, so everything he's ever done was the greatest thing ever. Yes, that just happened.

Anyway, I've always been against certain guitar effects on bass - wah and distortion. No, the pedal won't physically damage anything, but I might

You beat me to it!

But I believe, the power wah boos that good ol' Cliff used has the boost function, which i have a feeling causes a wider filter pass for a small amount of time. I'm not sure though.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
You beat me to it!

But I believe, the power wah boos that good ol' Cliff used has the boost function, which i have a feeling causes a wider filter pass for a small amount of time. I'm not sure though.

Yeah, but put after a Big Muff, it really doesn't matter. It's already a guitar.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I swear one day i'm just going to buy a big muff just to annoy the crap out of you.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
I swear one day i'm just going to buy a big muff just to annoy the crap out of you.

I might buy one just to up my UG cred.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I might buy one just to up my UG cred.

Buy one and then sacrifice it in a display with lots of fire and explosions. Tape it so we can watch.

But yeah get a bass wah. And if you notice Cliff didn't use heaps of effects when he was not a bass solo.
what wah is it? I know I've seen two or three wah pedals that advertise themselves as adjustable enough to use for guitar or bass... granted they probably still sound absolutely horrible on bass...
you can buy a guitar wah, and convert it to bass with a 5 cent part...

change the 0.01 uF sweep cap to 0.068 I think it was
Quote by -heartbreaker-
you can buy a guitar wah, and convert it to bass with a 5 cent part...

change the 0.01 uF sweep cap to 0.068 I think it was

Yeah, that'll lower the sweep I was talking about, but the low-pass filter is what's just essential.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I thought that was the only diff between a bass and a guitar wah?

Because some people (me being one of them) buy a cheap, used bass crybaby and just chnage the sweep cap to bring it back to a guitar wah
Quote by -heartbreaker-
I thought that was the only diff between a bass and a guitar wah?

Because some people (me being one of them) buy a cheap, used bass crybaby and just chnage the sweep cap to bring it back to a guitar wah

Not even close. The 105Q has a volume and Q control, and is totally voice differently, aside from swept differently. It's also auto on-off with no stomp switch. And, once again, it has a low pass filter. That way, when you wah, it doesn't sound like the bass disappeared. The Original Crybaby Bass, GCB-100, was a pile of crap. It was basically a normal wah with a different cap. The volume was much, much lower, and the instrument just disappeared when you stepped on it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
HEY EVERYONE I USE A GUTAR WAH AND I LUV IT LOL

No seriously, USE A GODDAMN DUAL AMP! It actualy does sound really cool! I can keep my clear low end and sweep those higher frequencys! It sounds cool if you put distortion AFTER it. And I can get a surprizingly fat sound out of my wah on the bottom of the sweep and the disotrtion!

But yeah, use a practice amp (for highs) with your big amp or something. You CAN ACTUALLY GET A GOOD SOUND OUT OF IT, but it won't be what you are expecting.

And for the record, it isn't the Big Muff Distortion, it is the Arion Bass Distortion!
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Sep 13, 2007,
Quote by Fast_Bear
HEY EVERYONE I USE A GUTAR WAH AND I LUV IT LOL

No seriously, USE A GODDAMN DUAL AMP! It actualy does sound really cool! I can keep my clear low end and sweep those higher frequencys! It sounds cool if you put distortion AFTER it. And I can get a surprizingly fat sound out of my wah on the bottom of the sweep and the disotrtion!

But yeah, use a practice amp (for highs) with your big amp or something. You CAN ACTUALLY GET A GOOD SOUND OUT OF IT, but it won't be what you are expecting.

And for the record, it isn't the Big Muff Distortion, it is the Arian Bass Distortion!

Bi-amping is an overly expensive but suitable way around using a guitar wah. It makes it's own makeshift low-pass filter. But what's more realistic: getting a $150 bass wah, or buying a whole new amp?

Also, what do you mean by the Arion Bass Distortion? I have no idea what you're talking about. I hope you're not saying Cliff used an Arion and not a Big Muff... he used an ARIA bass and a Big Muff for distortion.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Sep 13, 2007,
To be honest, you dont' NEED that powerfull of an amp to biamp. I have done it for almost a year with a crate 100W and a 30W practice amp. you need a loud bass amp to DRIVE LOW FREQUENCY. Not highs. It could work with a simple cheap little practice amp for lower volume stuff.

Also, this is the distortion I use.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Arion-MDI2-Bass-Distortion-Pedal-?sku=150517&src=3SOSWXXA

It sounds cool! Yes it is Arion, I guess I was a clan member in a past life or something.
Ah, yes, I thought you were saying Cliff used the Arion for some reason. I was looking into that, but then I happened to a Fulltone, and then....
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Caustic
It'll sound like shit, that's what will go wrong with it. Wah pedals often struggle to leave guitar tones intact. They will completely destroy a bass guitars tone.

Threadstarter: Buy a wah pedal designed for bass. There are enough out there.

yeah i use a bootsy signature wah pedal, its mint and cheap