What pickups for a strat, and amp (combo) would be I'd be better off using to get a frusciante tone. I've noticed he gets the same tone through his strats and teles, so I think it's more of the amp/effects.

but what pickups?

found some vintage ones here:

http://guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_stratvintnoisel.htm
For pickups get the Dimarzio area 61' pickups, they are made for vintage strat sounds. John uses a 61' and 62' stratocaster mainly. As far as effects his bread and butter are a Boss CE-5, a Big Muff, the discontinued hard to find Ibanez WH10 wah pedal, and his Boss DS-2. He uses Marshall Silver Jubilee heads and Marshall major cabinets.
Go for the Dimarzio 61' pickups, I have used them they provide that clean, bell-like clean tone John has, and a Fender. Marshall Silver Jubilee's are discontinued so I personally, if you have the money say go for a Fender SuperSonic or 65' Twin combo.
If your strapped for cash, look into some GFS (or something like that) pickups. For the price they are amazing.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

seeing as uses plexis and other vintage marshalls... anything by orange should really do the trick...

as for the pick ups ... the 60's set of pick ups from the fender custom shop should also complete the setup
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
fender custom shops are jokes. they cost way too much.

go talk to CorduroyEW here on UG. he's the pickup meister of UG. seirously. he talked me into buying his $180 handowund boutique pickup set. but i've heard they're really worth it. true vintage stuff.

GFS pickups are cheap and good. but they're not vintage sounding at all. even the ones that say "vintage" they sound modern.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
he's a really good guy. u'll find pleasure to negotiate with him.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by myearshurt
is john's sunburst with rosewood fretboard strat '62?

I 1962 i believe, but i would really go for a new amp before you buy a new guitar.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

His tone doesn't even depend on the amp, because he uses so many pedals. Just get a tube amp, get some delay, fuzz, reverb, and all the good stuff.

Use a Strat or Tele, most preferably an American Vintage one (or just vintage) on either the 60s or 50s.
Sent from my iPad.