Page 1 of 5
With the recent addition of Psych, John and I got to talking, about something.

Something turned to nothing and an idea came of nothing.

So after much more wordplay, we realized that we don't have any ideas ourselves. So we are turning to you the mighty MT regulars. We want to know what ways you think we could improve the forum, be it with interesting thread topics, some sort of FAQ re arrangement, new information that is much needed, or a different moderating style.

If you have any ideas , or just the beginnings of ideas that you would like others to refine, post them here and we will turn this Thought Ghetto into a breathtaking Theoretical Hills : 90210

Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Whens the last time we had an awards thread?

Just throwing that out there (even though im not really here -_-)
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Cool, I'm glad this is being taken seriously.

another awards thread would be fun, someone has to take Z4twen's Killer award away!

More game/contest/challenge threads would rawk. I always wanted to get into the comp threads, but they aren't that accessible all the time because not everyone has recording gear or is good at guitar pro.

I missed you nighty
Quote by nightwind

another awards thread would be fun, someone has to take Z4twen's Killer award away!

Haha, i actually thought for a good 5 minutes for stuff, but nothing came to mind.

But yes, like cowboy up said, more threads that get people involved. Get the quiz back again, that was always good, the comp thread (make it easy though, dont wanna scare away everyone), and stuff like that.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
So you guys want some interactive sort elements. Hmm.

The quiz can definitely come back, the comp thread might enjoy a rebirth in the form of something more like an MT jam.

John (and psych if he ever gets on MSN) and I will see if we can come up with anything.

How about more sub-forums?

Could really do with an Original Composition help sub-forum...
I see a lot of people on here who are looking for answers about how they should go about writing the music for songs...
Quote by JustZeroes
How about more sub-forums?

Could really do with an Original Composition help sub-forum...
I see a lot of people on here who are looking for answers about how they should go about writing the music for songs...

We already have the song writing/lyrics forum.
Quote by CowboyUp
We already have the song writing/lyrics forum.

All I see in there is lyrics, maybe we could rename it lyrics, and bring a songwriting forum into MT seeing as S&L is only used for lyrics...
I think that instead of the usual comp thread that gives us outlines theoretically, that we make a "developmental" or "Variations" thread, where we could have a theme and people would compose a development of the theme or a series of variations if they felt so inclined. I think that would be fun, and give a lot of helpful practice to everyone around here. =)
I'll be on MSN more, I'm just working out my schedule with school at the moment.

But, I like comp threads, in particular Erc's idea. An awards thread would be cool, but I personally think such things would be best if they only occurred at most about twice during the year.

Quizzes were good, but in terms of getting people to learn stuff, I wonder if a revision of the procedure might help... like, offering a study guide a week in advance. That way, people can actually go out, learn the material over the week, and then test their new-found knowledge on the quiz.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Erc
I think that instead of the usual comp thread that gives us outlines theoretically, that we make a "developmental" or "Variations" thread, where we could have a theme and people would compose a development of the theme or a series of variations if they felt so inclined. I think that would be fun, and give a lot of helpful practice to everyone around here. =)

I'd like that. It'd be easier to get into and less daunting and vague than "Compose a song."
A mode sub-forum.

Seriously though, I could bring up the comp thread again. They always end up to be to freakishly hard for some users. Keeping things nice and simple would be better for alot of the users.

Quote by Erc

Thats pretty dice. I like it.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
A mode sub-forum.

haha

There ought be a big sticky titled: "HEY YOU! GUY ABOUT TO ASK WHAT MODES ARE? WE KNOW THAT YOU SORT OF GET THEM BUT WANT MORE INFO, COME IN HERE!"
Quote by CowboyUp
More game/contest/challenge threads would rawk.
True...

Quote by psychodelia
Quizzes were good, but in terms of getting people to learn stuff, I wonder if a revision of the procedure might help... like, offering a study guide a week in advance. That way, people can actually go out, learn the material over the week, and then test their new-found knowledge on the quiz.
That'd rock man... I was gonna suggest taking quizzes back but that's even better!

Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Mark mentioned an MT Jam to me last year. Let's try for that? How would we do that though? Are there any programs we could use? We would also need to plan what piece to play or if we are just going to jam and things like that.

Time zones would make things a bit difficult, though. I like the study guide idea. I think that the comp thread should come back and that Erc's idea of a collaborative effort is great too.

So many ideas!
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I was curious about possibly having a daily or weekly (something) quiz on chords. I got the idea from the quiz that was recently held in MT. I enjoy sitting down and trying to figure out chords, but whenever I walk into the new Name That Chord thread, it isn't a chord that has been posted, so stopped going on there.

So for this idea, could you have a quiz each day/week/whenever asking for a specific voicing on certain chords for the first 5 answers and the names of chords for the second 5? I think that would be a cool edition to the MT forum.

Hoping to see a reply soon. Thank you for your time.

Page&HammettFan

There's a copy of a PM I sent ages ago to the (then) Mods of this forum. I think the lineup was Elven, you, and VR2005. It's changed so much, though. Anyway, it's some of the stuff you guys ask in the Name That Chord thread are really difficult questions, and though I've tried to answer the questions in the past, I'm never right. It'd be cool for those of us who aren't as good as the people in that thread to have a place to go for theory related things, like naming chords, intervals inside of chords, harmony questions, etc.

Like, once a week, or as often as possible, something asking:

What chord is this: ____?

What form of harmony is this: ____?

What scale(s) did said harmony use?

What notes make up a ____ Chord?

Stuff like that would be absolutely amazing for me, if you guys wouldn't mind doing it.

Sorry for bringing up an old PM, but I thought it was a good idea, and the rest of the Mod team said they did too, but they wanted to discuss with the other two Mods, and I never got an answer back. So I thought I'd try again, since you're asking for what you could do to make this place better. Thanks for the time.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Perhaps a style file, saying what chords, sounds ideas are common in genre X of music and how to play it?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
-An MT UGer of the week, name someone who was particularly helpful or on a roll that week or something, itll keep users wanting to be more and more active/helpful/participating

-A UG composition thread, but it should have multiple songs being worked on, of different genres, so everyone can try. You can have a metal song, a classic rock song, jazz song, maybe one song from each band sub-forum? I dont know, but then the songs can be found on the first post, and when someone posts an updated version, you just replace it in the first post, so that everyone can just get into the thread, read the first post, download the file (preferably GP), add his part, upload it, and feel like he accomplished something.
^
I like that idea quite a bit...
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
On the ADA forum (ex-company who made old rack gear), they have jams in which someone records a backing track, and then people download it and record a solo over it, then they put all the solos one after the other and add an intro and outro, so you have one big awesome sounding jam in which you see how different forum members tackle the same backing track.

I think that would work really well here because you could have for example a jam for each mode, or a jam over ii-V7-Is in lots of keys, so people could hear in practice all the stuff they get taught. It would also be fun and interesting to see how different people tackle it.

I'd also appreciate a thread of crazy ideas that are waaaay beyond the normal chord-scale stuff, that most people (including me) won't have even heard of. This is because you can't ask questions about something you've never heard of, so it would let people learn even more.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by marmoseti at Sep 14, 2007,
Oh, MT Revolution .
I would really like to see quiz pop up more frequently.
Same goes for SOTMs, Autumn Leaves one was really helpful for me.
Guess I'm not too creative.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Personally, I think we should exert our superiority on the other inferior UG races. We are the Musicians. We have the power. A curfew should be set for the pit, under penalty of after birth abortion by Nightwind himself. All other UG guitarists should be required to pay us for the useful information we post in here. Our cabinet will consist of Nightwind, the supreme dictator, and John and Danny can be the prime ministers (we NEED two). After a government commisioned lesson on modes, given out to all, if they do not understand, they are not worthy and must be killed.

We need to start with a hostile take over. Everyone go to the other boards and begin to tell them that they are under new leadership. Be sure to post lots of angry face smilies to let them know we mean business. Don't listen to ANYONE who says the internet isn't very serious business. If they do, drop kick them in the teeth.

This, my friends, is what we need to do to make the perfect world.
OBEY!

Your idea rocks C-Up.

Keep coming with suggestions, we definitely have some worthwhile stuff here. Some ideas are already en route to the stomping grounds, where with the secret help of magical black bears, we will refine them into a paste, package them, and make them available in threads all across the forum.

Quote by CowboyUp
Personally, I think we should exert our superiority on the other inferior UG races. We are the Musicians. We have the power. A curfew should be set for the pit, under penalty of after birth abortion by Nightwind himself. All other UG guitarists should be required to pay us for the useful information we post in here. Our cabinet will consist of Nightwind, the supreme dictator, and John and Danny can be the prime ministers (we NEED two). After a government commisioned lesson on modes, given out to all, if they do not understand, they are not worthy and must be killed.

We need to start with a hostile take over. Everyone go to the other boards and begin to tell them that they are under new leadership. Be sure to post lots of angry face smilies to let them know we mean business. Don't listen to ANYONE who says the internet isn't very serious business. If they do, drop kick them in the teeth.

This, my friends, is what we need to do to make the perfect world.

Resistance is futile!

EDIT:

And everyone knows that MTers are just better race.
We could do Pit Monkey Holocaust.
Nightwind, be my fuehrer!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Last edited by DarTHie at Sep 14, 2007,
A composition sticky/subforum. That said, it'd have to be kept clean, bc I guess questions like "what scale do I use over this chord" can be a composition question, but I'd prefer that those questions stay in the regular MT forum...

Also, I agree with CowboyUp's imperialistic goals.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by marmoseti
On the ADA forum (ex-company who made old rack gear), they have jams in which someone records a backing track, and then people download it and record a solo over it, then they put all the solos one after the other and add an intro and outro, so you have one big awesome sounding jam in which you see how different forum members tackle the same backing track.

I think that would work really well here because you could have for example a jam for each mode, or a jam over ii-V7-Is in lots of keys, so people could hear in practice all the stuff they get taught. It would also be fun and interesting to see how different people tackle it.

ooohh oohhh, can we can we???
According to this new regime of terror, what happens to us that are regulars in both the pit and MT?

Surely a modest amount of sexual favours can fix the mess up...this said, they won't be mine.

On a serious note I think we could copy the bass forum and have a technique of the month, but rather than technique, it would be an aspect of theory, or some examples. Yay, or nay?
have a jazz chords thread put up, where there will be formulas for those jazz chords i.e

C-b6(or aeolian chord) : 1 b3 b6 7

and to make it more like interesting have modes that fit the chords
Quote by nightwind

if you try to take my award i will be forced to retaliate with an ocean full of dead bodies.....
Wouldn't that just be more of a body pit and not much of an ocean?

Standard of the month was a great idea, as was the quiz threads. I think splitting up the vocal thread into a subforum with a sticky or two would make info easier to access and cut down on the same questions being asked.

Composition is also a huge thing for this forum, the FAQ being especially helpful for theory. I like the jam idea - I can write a song but I'm crap at improvising, something like the jam would let people like me get feedback.

Awards would be fun, we should be allowed to have a little campaign - be helpful to get people talking to each other and create a friendlier community.

****NOTICE****

I'm going off to do music technology at uni as of tomorrow - if anyone wants pictures of a studio or stuff like that, or could think of anything I could do to help someone out here involving that please PM me. I'll get back to you ASAP.

I'm also thinking of doing a Nolan Whyte and writing a story revolving around musicians in my spare time, anyone be interested in something like that?
Quote by nightwind
Wouldn't that just be more of a body pit and not much of an ocean?

well there will still be water and fish..... cannibalistic man eating fish.... and bodies.... lots and lots of bodies.....
Quote by z4twenny
well there will still be water and fish..... cannibalistic man eating fish.... and bodies.... lots and lots of bodies.....

Someone's trying to hold on to their award...

And frankly I'm too scared to object
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by jimmypage1904
have a jazz chords thread put up, where there will be formulas for those jazz chords i.e

C-b6(or aeolian chord) : 1 b3 b6 7

and to make it more like interesting have modes that fit the chords

C-b6 would be 1 - b3 - (5) - b6. There is no major 7th in Aeolian, it has a minor 7th.

Anyway - about this idea. Do you mean this just as resource thread that has a big ass list in the first post with loads of chords and their modes, or more of a general discussion/Q&A thing.. or both!?

I don't see the point of just having a thread with a huge list of chords and modes.. when that is just something that we can just put in the FAQ..

So could you elaborate on what exactly you mean... thanks.

Quote by DarTHie
Oh, MT Revolution .
I would really like to see quiz pop up more frequently.
Same goes for SOTMs, Autumn Leaves one was really helpful for me.
Guess I'm not too creative.

Regarding SoTM - I don't think anyone came forward and actually posted anything besides Elven.

If SoTM is going to work - we need people to actually be posting one every month and making the effort to put whatever they can up.

It doesn't have to be a full blown harmonic analysis with esoteric chords and scales and reharmonization, just something to get people accustomed with the chord changes and basic structure of the song and to help them along - maybe this is something that people didn't feel comfortable doing in case they thought their analysis wasn't hip enough, or the voicings they used were to simple.. it doesn't have to be like that.
Quote by marmoseti
Someone's trying to hold on to their award...

And frankly I'm too scared to object

* fires up the chainsaw * wonderful.... any other takers?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Regarding SoTM - I don't think anyone came forward and actually posted anything besides Elven.

If SoTM is going to work - we need people to actually be posting one every month and making the effort to put whatever they can up.

It doesn't have to be a full blown harmonic analysis with esoteric chords and scales and reharmonization, just something to get people accustomed with the chord changes and basic structure of the song and to help them along - maybe this is something that people didn't feel comfortable doing in case they thought their analysis wasn't hip enough, or the voicings they used were to simple.. it doesn't have to be like that.

Signups somewhere, maybe? Even here? I could certainly do one.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by insideac
-An MT UGer of the week, name someone who was particularly helpful or on a roll that week or something, itll keep users wanting to be more and more active/helpful/participating

-A UG composition thread, but it should have multiple songs being worked on, of different genres, so everyone can try. You can have a metal song, a classic rock song, jazz song, maybe one song from each band sub-forum? I dont know, but then the songs can be found on the first post, and when someone posts an updated version, you just replace it in the first post, so that everyone can just get into the thread, read the first post, download the file (preferably GP), add his part, upload it, and feel like he accomplished something.
That'd be nice... cause I like the UG compositions but they're always jazz/blues.... Metal ftw! \m/
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
John and I agreed that this is going to require some effort from all of us, so keep your eyes open for a sign up thread which will have sign ups for any ideas that are in need of ... fruition.

Page 1 of 5