Page 1 of 3
i wrote all of a punk song, except for the solo.... what should i do for the solo?

im trying to stay away from just flat out shredding....

also, what are some good examples of punk soloing?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
operation ivy, yelling in my ear if you call it a solo. the remake of little bitch by big d and the kids table i got more just let me find them
Last edited by rtbsmgsmf at Sep 13, 2007,
It depends. I personally like Mick Jones's (The Clash) style. He just played what he thought sounded good. He didn't worry about speed, and I doubt he worried if it was "punk" or not. Greg Ginn's (Black Flag) stuff sounded like free jazz in some ways. Some guitarists copy the vocal melody for the most part. Some play bluesy solos, others don't. Some don't even solo at all. I think you should just play whatever you feel like playing.
Dead Kennedys have some simple solos that work well. Nothing too flashy, but still adequate.

Check out Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables. Kill The Poor, Let's Lynch The Landlord, When Ya Get Drafted, Stealing People's Mail, and Holiday In Cambodia all have good examples of punk solos.

Just keep it simple is the best advice I can give you. Make it fast, make it simple.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Dude, if you're capable of shredding, do it. Just because it's punk doesn't mean you should shy away from good instrumental stuff. Just look at Black Flag and the Reagan Youth.

As long as you keep it reasonable, and the solo sounds good, there's nothing wrong with some shredz.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Just keep it short and to the point!
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Dude, if you're capable of shredding, do it. Just because it's punk doesn't mean you should shy away from good instrumental stuff. Just look at Black Flag and the Reagan Youth.

Reagan Youth never shredded.

Are you on some fancy new-age designer drugs or something?

:stickpoke
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
Reagan Youth never shredded.

Are you on some fancy new-age designer drugs or something?

:stickpoke

Not technically "shredding", but they had some pretty wicked solos on the second half of "A Collection Of Pop Classics". In fact, some of the solos on that CD were pretty long, but never boring. That's what I was getting at. Don't be afraid to solo, but if you do, make it as good as you can!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Captain Sensible (The Damned), Mick Jones (The Clash), Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls/Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers), Bob Quine (Richard Hell), Wayne Kramer/Fred "Sonic" Smith (MC5) and East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys). All have great solos, so listen to them and learn.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Not technically "shredding", but they had some pretty wicked solos on the second half of "A Collection Of Pop Classics". In fact, some of the solos on that CD were pretty long, but never boring. That's what I was getting at. Don't be afraid to solo, but if you do, make it as good as you can!

You could have said soloing, but yeah I definitely would have not called it shredding. It's true, the songs on A Collection Of Pop Classics are great. But the solos were actually pretty slow. It's the opposite of shredding really.

You still didn't answer my question.

Are you or are you not using drugs? Why are you avoiding the question? Are you so hyped up you can't type an answer? Or are you too busy breaking into other people's car to answer?

Must be all that MTV and Rock n' Roll you kids are so into.
Quote by rtbsmgsmf
operation ivy, yelling in my ear if you call it a solo. the remake of little bitch by big d and the kids table i got more just let me find them

Also check out the original version of Little Bitch. The hammond organ solo is divine.

On the subject of solos, however, I don't think they're necessary in most cases.
I think it depends on if you have two guitars or one.....and what kind of punk you play, I often try to play solos (I improvise), like Greg Ginn or Reagan Youth and we have just me on guitar, but with soloing it´s always better to have two, otherwise the song gets a bit down and the crowd stops pogoing
listen to the song anarchy in the u.k

Perfect example of a punk solo. It's simple, effective and thats all you need i think
Toy Dolls have some pretty good geetar playing. And The Damned.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by axeslash
You still didn't answer my question.

Are you or are you not using drugs? Why are you avoiding the question? Are you so hyped up you can't type an answer? Or are you too busy breaking into other people's car to answer?

I've never used drugs or even drank

But I think when I'm sleepy, I talk/type like I'm high. With no sleep, my vocabulary greatly diminishes, as does my word choice. Probably why I confused you.

Or it's because I'm still not sure what the definition of "shredding" is.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Listen to some damned, their guitarist adds solos into most songs, and theyre fast but not shreddy, im fairly sure theyre mostly improvised
Quote by werty22
It depends. I personally like Mick Jones's (The Clash) style. He just played what he thought sounded good. He didn't worry about speed, and I doubt he worried if it was "punk" or not.

Yes he did.

You just haven't read the interview with Micky Foote
Listen to Brian Setzer. He sweep picks on the clean channel and is more technically proficient and diverse than ANY metal band's guitarists. He shreds, but makes it interesting.
^ Jesus Was A Communist.

That intro is like... beginner level stuff.

The solo to that song is very impressive though.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
^ Jesus Was A Communist.

That intro is like... beginner level stuff.

The solo to that song is very impressive though.

Yeah but it's still shredding, just easy shredding.
go ****ing Dethklok, man.

haha man i love metal. its so fun. and it makes me tired so i have na excuse for lazing around watching tv, my mom goes "why are you so lazy today"

"i played metal today, mom"

"oh, okay, no problem"

but anyways, yeah, dude, go with the damned, one of my fave bands, great guitarist.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Yes he did.

You just haven't read the interview with Micky Foote

Do you think you could link me to that interview? I Googled it but I couldn't find it.
Quote by devourthekitten
Just do dumb random stuff like Black Flag...It sounds hardcore.

Greg Ginn thought through each every one of his solos.
Quote by werty22
Do you think you could link me to that interview? I Googled it but I couldn't find it.

Buy me a scanner and I'll do it.
make a bass solo or something.. a short one.. in the end
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
the rezillos are a talented punk band with guitar solos.
try the dead kennedys police truck too
and of coarse mick jones
Quote by devourthekitten
Yes, but it was random, and that made it sexy.

not really, he was really one of the greatest guitarist of his time cause he actually knew theory and ****, so he could actually do that.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Buy me a scanner and I'll do it.

MAiL IT 2 MEH ILE SEND U TEH STAMPS
Quote by original=punk
not really, he was really one of the greatest guitarist of his time cause he actually knew theory and ****, so he could actually do that.

Ok, but I prefer random stuff that sounds like you're barely fretting notes...
Page 1 of 3