So anyways when I started guitar 4 months ago I inherited my sister's Mexican Stratocaster. Recently I learned that I can't play hard rock and metal because single coils aren't built for high gain. Should I save up and buy a guitar with humbuckers or buy the Seymour Duncan single coils and a noise suppressor? Also I was wondering if I should get a Roland Cube 60 or 30 for a better tone? I'm also probably going to get a digitech RP250 or Zoom g2.1u for playing through a computer and I don't have enough money to buy like 10 decent pedals costing upwards of 80$. Would the noise suppressor on a MFX pedal also work?
Take the pickguard off and see how it's routed. I bet its routed H-S-H. Get a humbucker, a new pickguard, and put the humbucker in the bridge. Problem solved.
You're a f*ck!ng retard dude. I have a Mexican strat and it does hard rock and metal just fine with the stockers; admittedly it's one of (if not the) best mexi strat I've every played, but still.

If you must, slap a Duncan or GFS single-sized humbucker in the bridge, but don't diss the strat. They handle high-gain and compression just fine, people on this site are just Ibanez wh0rez.
If your guitar isn't routed for H-S-H, or even H-S-S, you can always get stacked single coils or blade pickups. They're basically miniature humbuckers that fit in single coil slots.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Quote by ECistheBest
^they don't sound too great tho.

Rail pickups like the Duncan Hot Rails and DiMarzio chopper are usually good choices in that respect. However I agree that stacked humbuckers can be hit or miss. A lto of people seem to like Duncans though.
^ Lots of people will disagree with you. Tom Morello being one.

But I'm sure we can all agree that they don't sound like real humbuckers.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Yeah all single coil slots, someone told me that single coils were bad for high gain and horrible feedback and that a humbucker would be better. Judging from the replies I should A. Find him and kick his ass, B. Get a EMG single or SD single for the bridge C. Get a good pedal/amp then rock out?
Quote by CJRocker
Rail pickups like the Duncan Hot Rails and DiMarzio chopper are usually good choices in that respect. However I agree that stacked humbuckers can be hit or miss. A lto of people seem to like Duncans though.

those two rails are horrible imo. nothing like anything. if you say they're supposed to sound like humbuckers, no. but as themselves, they're okay. not for vintage sound tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
those two rails are horrible imo. nothing like anything. if you say they're supposed to sound like humbuckers, no. but as themselves, they're okay. not for vintage sound tho.

I mean in terms of overall tone. they are humbucking and high output, but I agree they don't hit the humbucking tone. As for vintage tone, only a true humbucker can hit that if you want something humbucking.
Quote by Hellfire999
If you're not too busy arguing, are the emg and sd singles silent?

All EMGs are silent.
Quote by Hellfire999
Even single coils running on a gain of 8-10?

All Active EMGs are completely silent.
u should be able to play hard rock with a strat easy. if u really want to play metal get a hss
I'd just buy a different guitar, if you're going to go invest in expensive pickups. Or, just get the better amp as you stated earlier.

Oh, And I PMed you ECistheBest!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Hot Rails are awesome in the bridge imo. look into the JB jr. imo there better than hot rails and have less output, thus smoother sounding