Some of you might remember me complaining about what I think is ground problems my amp (a buzzing sound that goes away *mostly when I touch the bridge or the strings). I took it into my local shop Tuesday night and got one of the techs. Heres what I got:

We played my guitar through about 5 different tube amps, even the one I own, and no buzz what so ever. It sounded beautiful. It can't be the guitar

I brought my amp and we played through that with a different guitar and it also had no buzz. We then played my guitar through my amp and no buzz.

Ok, well its not the guitar my guitar or amp, it could be an interference. I turned off EVERYTHING in my basement, including lights, and played guitar. It sounded much better, BUT it was still there.

So what do you think? it has to be either the cable or the outlet. I tried two different cables with the same result (but both were CBI Cables) I am going to get a new cable anyway though, a La Grange. http://lavacable.com/Klotz%20Cables.htm. I tried multiple outlets on different floors of my house with no luck, still a buzz

Hopefully this is my last thread on this, i want to friggin figure this thing out!
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

You may be able to call your electric company, and have them check your house's service for any issues. Give 'em a couple extra phantom symptoms to get 'em out for you (lights flickering, etc).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You may be able to call your electric company, and have them check your house's service for any issues. Give 'em a couple extra phantom symptoms to get 'em out for you (lights flickering, etc).

how much do you think it would cost? I mean my house is like 35 years old so it would make sense that its an electrical problem
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Should be free.

It is where I am, I work for the utility. They perform services like this to help offset the fact that they're a monopoly.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Some amps hum when the line voltage drops even slightly from their optimum design supply voltage. They should be stable, but lowered voltage at your house, due to your position in the line relative to the preceding transformer, and what your neighbors are drawing electrically, can cause issues. You should take your amp to the store and try it there. If it doesn't buzz, check the voltage at your house and the voltage at the store. That might give you a clue. Use all proper precautions of course when sticking probes in wall sockets.
^i think he did take it in.

anyway, cable first, take the cable into the shop if u have to, then check the house.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
^i think he did take it in.

Oops. Shows what happens when you read quickly after half a bottle of wine.
there are actually little cheap things you can get that can greatly help this problem... Some that ive found.

Firstly, there is to better protect your guitar from other electronic crap.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Copper-Shielding-Tape?sku=364741

simply lining your cavity works great, although some people would swear that tin foil works too... but I dunno, this seems easier.

Also I have found this... although have not tried it, it actually looks like it would be a simple solution, although I swear ive seen something for half the price...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ebtech-Hum-X-Hum-Exterminator?sku=150452

muscians friend actually has several things that accomplish this... just do a search for "hum"
some interesting stuff
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
there are actually little cheap things you can get that can greatly help this problem... Some that ive found.

Firstly, there is to better protect your guitar from other electronic crap.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Copper-Shielding-Tape?sku=364741

simply lining your cavity works great, although some people would swear that tin foil works too... but I dunno, this seems easier.

Also I have found this... although have not tried it, it actually looks like it would be a simple solution, although I swear ive seen something for half the price...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ebtech-Hum-X-Hum-Exterminator?sku=150452

muscians friend actually has several things that accomplish this... just do a search for "hum"
some interesting stuff

I have an epiphone sheraton II. it is a solid wood guitar meaning the only the way I can get to the inside of the guitar is through the F holes. How would I use that copper shielding, is it possible?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

I see what you mean, that would be a little difficult. I dont know much about them, but they had to of put the elctronics in there somehow. I guess they could have done it before the top was off or something... Maybe you can get to the electronics cavity from under your pickguard.

haha but im really not sure
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
depends how they set the pickups. if there's a cavity under the pup they you can foil line it.

but honestly. that's if you thought the guitar was the problem.
wasnt it working fine in the store?

if so, you check the cable then the house.

they have a pedal too. never tried it...
http://www.music123.com/Electro-Harmonix-Hum-Debugger-Hum-Eliminator-Pedal-150136-i1171535.Music123
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
depends how they set the pickups. if there's a cavity under the pup they you can foil line it.

but honestly. that's if you thought the guitar was the problem.
wasnt it working fine in the store?

if so, you check the cable then the house.

they have a pedal too. never tried it...
http://www.music123.com/Electro-Harmonix-Hum-Debugger-Hum-Eliminator-Pedal-150136-i1171535.Music123

ehh, i heard some mixed things about the Hum Debugger. I don't want anything to sacrifice my tone and pretty much ANY pedal will affect tone at least a tiny bit.

I talked to my dad about this to see if he knew any electricians. Apparently, there is an outlet in my dining room that was put in a few years ago with better wiring and all that crap. I am going to see if plugging into that outlet makes a difference

Ill update later
tie a thread round the top of the pots, pull them out through the F-hole, cover into electric tape and then pull them back through the holes with the thread.