if i want to swap out the duncan designs in my ltd m200 for the passive emg hz h4's i took out of my other guitar how the hell do i wire it to the 3 way slot switch. i understand all these 3 way diagrams but mine has the 8 posts all in a row with one on each end of the casing. so instead of looking like the one above, it looks like this...

=[][][][][][][][]=
???? lol You've confused me with the question. You want to wire to a 3 way switch, but it has 8 pots?
It has 8 lugs. The wiring is the same as a regular 3-way blade switch, but I don't know which lugs are which.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
lol, now i got it, but i'm of no help. O.o phase super... 5 way.... oooooo la la... Lol I might think about that for my next guitar.
yea, revamp all the electronics! the pots for active PUPs have drastically lower resistance than passive PUPs (or is it the other way around?)

so if you need to replace the pots, go ahead and swap out the switch too.

to (try) to answer your question though, when you just have all the lugs on one side its like the 2 sides are just put end to end. i cant tell you which end is which, but you should be able to figure it out with a little trial and error.
dg-guitarist,

I'm gonna take you through this step-by-step, telling only what you need to know, not confusing you with too much extraneous info.

1 - Make a DRAWING or take a clear PICTURE of your present wiring to the switch.
The picture will show several connections between the lugs there are only 3 connections you must make a note of:
a - black wire from bridge pickup.
b - black wire from neck pickup.

duncan and emg passives use a slightly different color code, but in both cases, the red and white connect to each other, and nothing else. Green is connected to ground, and black is hot. Occasionally those are reversed, but as long as both bridge and neck are connected the same way, it won't matter.

2 - Disconnect the Green wires of your Duncans.

Make note of where they are connected,

3 - Disconnect the Black wires of your Duncans.

be CERTAIN to note which lug of the switch has the black from the BRIDGE, and which the black from the NECK.

4 - Remove the Duncans and install the EMGs

5 - Connect the green wires of the EMGs where the Duncans were connected.

6 - Connect the black wires of the EMGs
Refer to your notes. Make sure they are connected to the switch in the proper places according to the notes.

7 - DONE!

notes:

You only had to make 2 ground connections, and 2 connections to the switch. This wasn't that hard, was it?

You don't need to replace your pots. The EMG HZs are passive, just like your Duncan Designs. I think you already know this. I only mention it for others who might be reading.

Don't bother with the link Jim_Fear posted. It's for a Les Paul 3-way switch. It will only confuse you. Your switch is called a Tele import switch. You may be able to find a drawing that uses one of those, but you don't really need it.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by blind nate
yea, revamp all the electronics! the pots for active PUPs have drastically lower resistance than passive PUPs (or is it the other way around?)

so if you need to replace the pots, go ahead and swap out the switch too.

to (try) to answer your question though, when you just have all the lugs on one side its like the 2 sides are just put end to end. i cant tell you which end is which, but you should be able to figure it out with a little trial and error.

You are correct active PUPs Pots are a lower resistance 25kohms to be exact, and a HM PUP passive is 250kohms, 500kohms, or 1Mohm

<also I didn't think he had actives> I know duncan makes a set, but i don't belive this is it.

Woot, thanks for the note SYK, I just read that.
Last edited by WickedBeast666 at Sep 13, 2007,
i originally wired everything to match how the duncans were set up on the switch and it didnt work. i know the pots are wired right because i took all of that out of my ex260 and put it straight into the m200. but like i said i copied the setup the duncans had goin and i still didn't get anything. my h4's connect to the switch with red wires and theres a black wire and a white wire that are paired off, and green wire and a bare wire that are paired off. but i left everything exactly how it was out of the ex and just transfered it to this m so i know its something with the switch. i would post pictures but i dont have my camera handy right now my sister borrowed it, so i'll do that later tonight hopefully. i did manage to find a pic of the "import tele switch" and this is the exact one im dealing with...
Attachments:
importtele.jpg
theres 5 wires right? the green and bare go to your pot , the red to the switch and the black and white should be paired off, they do not connect to anything but eachother just wrap some electrical tape around em and leave em alone! lol
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
*big post*

Good luck,
SYK

Jesus Christ, I wish every UG'er answered like that.

I think just reading that bit of helpfulness actually made my day.
Ben
try this......the lugs are like this right =[][][][][][][][]= okay the "=" lug should be the ground for the switch i think connect it to the pot then the pick up wires should match up each with two lugs by connecting the lugs together like this =[]-[] []-[] []-[]= one pick up on each end then the middle two lugs connect to the the lug on the left of the volume pot