I'm sure a lot of you will have seen this but there isn't a thread or anything on it and it amazes me really.

Anyway here we go;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D28-Authentic-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513360

I just do not understand how someone can justify spending that much money on a guitar. It's built using the same materials and methods as a pre-WW2 guitar apparently, it's a shame I don't really give a crap.

As far as I can tell, its a collectors item, but you'd have to have some serious cash lying around to think about them. And there's not going to be $40,000 worth of sound is there. The maximum I'd ever spend on a guitar is £3000, guitaring is just a hobby and I have much more important things to spend my money on.

And the person who reviewed it said every string on the guitar snapped after a couple of months because the neck warped so badly. Not quite what you'd expect for a guitar which is actually worth more than its weight in gold. In fact you could have 2 kg of solid 99.9 pure gold for that price.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 13, 2007,
man if i were to strum that guitar, i would have to hear angels singing.......
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
The guy who reviewed didn't get the point. This may sound weird but that is a show guitar. Your not really supposed to play it (alot) its more of a work of art, you just display it.
Replicates the specs, materials, and processes used in the construction of the original pre-WWII instrument.

This is why you buy the instrument. Obviously, guitar making was not as refined as it is today.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I don't think just playing the guitar would cause the neck to bend enough to snap the strings, unless it was extreeeemely old. there is no excuse for a 40,000 dollar guitar to break from simple playing.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
@ Gregray88 - No it's not, its a fully functioning normal guitar. They even recommend what strings to put on it for the right sound. Not to mention, why the hell would you want to display this;

You could only display it if everytime someone walked past it you had a little speaker say 'This guitar cost $31,000"

@ Nightwind - Why does it matter what methods were used? I still don't think it justifies that much money.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 13, 2007,
Would you rather have a $40,000 guitar, or a $40,000 baseball card. That is if its just a collectors item.
epic7734
If you've got that kind of money, then why not ?

Martins usually do appreciate over time, but $31K does seem pretty steep already.

You can also buy a $40K BMW and in a few years it will only be worth half of that and in 10-15 it probably won't exist anymore and in 20-30 years this Martin will be worth a heck of a lot more than it.
Just throwing this out there.... but has anybody considered that the guy reviewing the guitar flat out made that whole thing up?
Quote by jimtaka
Just throwing this out there.... but has anybody considered that the guy reviewing the guitar flat out made that whole thing up?

That was honestly my first impression of his review. How many people have really bought this guitar for the shop guy in his review to say they all had the same problem.
epic7734
from a poor guy like me..
i'd say nothings special from it...
hahhahah it looks like a guitar and obviously will be sounding like a guitar
its a guitar! hahaha...
ill prefer to spend my $30k[if i have tho] to buy a car or a house hahahah
I'd probably buy it just to say i own a $40,000 guitar. wait a couple years, then sell it for 50,000
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
Quote by crystalh
I'd probably buy it just to say i own a $40,000 guitar. wait a couple years, then sell it for 50,000

But hey hey, that's just the list price...musiciansfriend is letting it go at a steal for $32,000...sure, you don't get to play it before it arrives and you get a fake review to judge the purchase w/, but hey, why the hell not if you've the money? That kind of stuff is like pocket lint.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

@ Nightwind - Why does it matter what methods were used? I still don't think it justifies that much money.

I definitely wouldn't spend, nor would I recommend anyone spend that much money on a guitar. There is a quotation by a billionaire, I can't think of who, but it goes "What do you get a guy who has everything? More of the same."
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
I'm sure a lot of you will have seen this but there isn't a thread or anything on it and it amazes me really.

Anyway here we go;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D28-Authentic-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513360

I just do not understand how someone can justify spending that much money on a guitar. It's built using the same materials and methods as a pre-WW2 guitar apparently, it's a shame I don't really give a crap.

As far as I can tell, its a collectors item, but you'd have to have some serious cash lying around to think about them. And there's not going to be $40,000 worth of sound is there. The maximum I'd ever spend on a guitar is £3000, guitaring is just a hobby and I have much more important things to spend my money on.

And the person who reviewed it said every string on the guitar snapped after a couple of months because the neck warped so badly. Not quite what you'd expect for a guitar which is actually worth more than its weight in gold. In fact you could have 2 kg of solid 99.9 pure gold for that price.

This is one of those instances where you are playing $35,000 for a bran name

Luthiers can built guitars like this with pre ww2 specs and they will even hand tune everything to make sure it sounds good. A luthier will charge you 5,000 to 7,000 for a guitar like this. When martin make s a guitar like this they charge you 35,000 and everything is made by machine. You don't get that luthier making sure everything is just right.

My advise would be to buy a hand built guitar from a luthier and spend the extra money to buy yourself a house, or a car.
Not taking any online orders.
As someone else said, you can think of it as a collectors item. I mean while the guitar may be made from the 'finest' materials, meticulously hand-crafted, and features beautiful ornamentation, we can pretty much all agree qualitatively speaking, that the 35,000 guitar is not 12x better than a 3K Martin (especially in regards to sound)--and so we can't justify spending that much. Realistically, you are only going to buy that guitar if you are very rich (filthy rich) and/or a serious collector.

BTW, check out the Martin D-100 Deluxe: http://www.fqms.com/Martin_D100_Deluxe_W144C1525.cfm

It can be yours for only $100,000
Last edited by Negative Burn at Sep 15, 2007,
^^ Fugly.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by jimtaka

no one with that kind of money says things like "Crapppy" and better yet, "biggest piece of crap ever"

sounds like a thirteen year old with no money and lots of time.
It's the real deal people. Link below is from the Martin site, and the price is the same as the list at MF. I love how they state at the bottom of the specs, "Available Left-handed at no additional charge". lol. Yet no interior label? What gives?
No thanks, I'll stick with my $350 Alvarez. Probably sounds better anyway.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=D-28%20Authentic%201937