Hey guys, I've been lurking these boards forever, finally have a reason to post. Right I have a Fender Blues Junior 15W amp, Gibson Les Paul Special (main guitar) and a Fender Strat. I also plan on buying a Ibanez RG1570 in the near future, as I'd love to have a guitar with a decent trem, so keep that in mind. I'm playing in a band and the time has come to upgrade to something with some more volume for gigs, as well as some more features. I'm planning on selling my Blues Jr. which will leave me with about $800 to spend on a used amp head, which I'm going to buy an Avatar 2x12 cab for. I play mostly rock and blues, some classic rock, no metal whatsoever really. As for influences, definitely first and foremost Muse and Radiohead; some others would probably be Incubus, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, with some Satch and Van Halen thrown in for good measure. Quite a variety, I know. I've done a lot of research and have mostly been looking at the Mesa Rectoverb and Peavey JSX, honestly leaning more towards the JSX at this point. I'm going to guitar center this week to try these amps out, I'm just looking for some opinions and maybe suggestions of other amps I should look for while I'm there. If they don't have a used one at GC I'll probably end up buying on ebay, or if I decide on the JSX I've been talking with a guy who's selling one on craigslist in my area. Anyway, I guess that's it. Thanks!
the jsx is a metal amp, i'd just get the mesa.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
the jsx is a metal amp, i'd just get the mesa.

I disagree, It's got great cleans as well, and does an all around decent job at most tones, it's pretty versatile.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Bump, need more opinions!
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by bite_the_bullet
the jsx is a metal amp

lern 2 gain knob.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Na, go with the Carvin V3. Best bang for the buck at any price point.
i'd have thought either of those is too modern for what you want.

around $800... my problem is i'm not too well up on US pricing, apart from the most talked-about stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The carvins sound pretty good from the clips I'm hearing, I'd rather be able to play it myself first though =/ Any other thoughts? I think I'm also gonna look into orange, probably out of my price range but one of my friends is raving about his and if it's really that great it might be worth saving up some more for.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat

yeah oranges are quite nice, but expensive in the US.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Traynor YCV Blue?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Hyp0critical
The carvins sound pretty good from the clips I'm hearing, I'd rather be able to play it myself first though =/ Any other thoughts? I think I'm also gonna look into orange, probably out of my price range but one of my friends is raving about his and if it's really that great it might be worth saving up some more for.

Yeah. Its a shame you cant play one. I bit the bullet and just ordered on a month ago and I absolutley love it. Way more features than amps twice its price and the tones can go from Mesa style to Marshall crunch to a very good clean.
Quote by Hyp0critical

An Orange Rocker 30 would probably be great for those tones.

>_> . . . <_< . . . there's one for $775 (with shipping) on eBay right now . . . <_< . . . >_>
One last bump before tomorrow's trip to GC...
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat

Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd have thought either of those is too modern for what you want.

around $800... my problem is i'm not too well up on US pricing, apart from the most talked-about stuff.

400 pounds.
i'm well aware of the exchange rate, it's just prices are rarely a direct comparison... US-made stuff is generally better value in the states, while EU-made stuff is generally cheaper in the UK...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mesa Recto-verbs are killer amps, but its all in taste really.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Well the Recto will be WAY too modern for what you play. It's a metal amp basically. The JSX might work, but it might be too modern.

I'd say Orange, either a Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50, it's perfect for what you play.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well the Recto will be WAY too modern for what you play. It's a metal amp basically. The JSX might work, but it might be too modern.

I'd say Orange, either a Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50, it's perfect for what you play.

I disagree, saying the Recto-verb is a metal amp is crazy. It's extremely versatile, especially if you have a graphic EQ. But I do agree that the Rocker 30/Rockerverb would meet his needs better.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by Gabel

yep, that's what i said further up... unfortunately few seemed to even notice...

Nice avatar by the way...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by omarrodrigez
I disagree, saying the Recto-verb is a metal amp is crazy. It's extremely versatile, especially if you have a graphic EQ. But I do agree that the Rocker 30/Rockerverb would meet his needs better.

Maybe, but it's not an amp for classic rock and blues.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
word. it's versatile if you play at least 50% modern hard rock and metal. it's not really going to satisfy a dyed-in-the-wool classic rocker.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hm, after playing the JSX... I think I am going to go try the Rockerverb 50, from what I've read it may be right up my alley. It's funny because guitar center didn't carry orange, but the tiny little music store in my town is one of two resellers in the state. $1900 new though... hopefully one pops up on ebay.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat

Oh, I was talking about the head. I'd rather have the head + 2x12 cab than a combo.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat