This is just f**cking wrong in my opinion... the MPA is going WAY to far...

Check these out:
http://jasonf-blog.blogspot.com/2006/07/guitar-tabs-are-now-illegal.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm
http://apcmag.com/3778/mpa_attacks_guitar_tab_websites
(there are lots more articles)

And here's a link to an organization trying to save guitar tabs:
http://www.guitarzone.com/musato/

Sorry if this has been posted before (I'm not here much.. I did look for one though).

Anyways, my point is... is Ultimate Guitar in danger of becoming a target of the MPA? I come here a lot for tabs and would hate to see anything happen to it...

Fricken greedy MPA...
Umm...older news than 'The Earth is Round'.

UG was targeted long ago. I think that was the RIAA, and not the MPA, but still.
<Han> I love Hitler
I remember reading an article on here awhile ago about how UG isn't subject to being shut down by the MPA because they're based in Russia.
This has been an issue for quite some time. Several guitar tab websites have been shut down because of this. Fortunately because UG is based in Russia (among other things), UG is relatively safe.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by DarK_AssassiN
Sorry if this has been posted before (I'm not here much.. I did look for one though)

Quote by article
Thursday, July 20, 2006

no... never ever posted on UG. the most popular tab site ever.
Yep it's illegal bc it's a derivative work based on the composition....which is a seperate copyright to the actual sound recording. The MPA is just trying to protect the artists and publishers. Afterall the artist normally gets 1/2 the income coming in on that copyright.....some get more depending on their publishing deal. I'm a recording industry major...this is what we talk about and learn
Even though UG is based in russia, we still pay royalties for the tabs.

We are, in no way, shape, or form, in any danger of being shut down.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by rockersrkewl
Yep it's illegal bc it's a derivative work based on the composition....which is a seperate copyright to the actual sound recording. The MPA is just trying to protect the artists and publishers. Afterall the artist normally gets 1/2 the income coming in on that copyright.....some get more depending on their publishing deal. I'm a recording industry major...this is what we talk about and learn

It's no where near as much as half of the royalties. Though it does all depend on how the song is used, the artist rarely gets a large chunk of the royalties, unless they are the songwriter of said song. Usually most of the money goes straight to the label cause most labels try to get the artist to sign all their works over to the them.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
It's no where near as much as half of the royalties. Though it does all depend on how the song is used, the artist rarely gets a large chunk of the royalties, unless they are the songwriter of said song. Usually most of the money goes straight to the label cause most labels try to get the artist to sign all their works over to the them.

That is true, and I was assuming the best scenario...where the artists is the songwriter ect ect. Plus not in with a label publishing where there is crosscollateralzation (i can't spell so if I spelt it wrong sorry).
Quote by rockersrkewl
That is true, and I was assuming the best scenario...where the artists is the songwriter ect ect. Plus not in with a label publishing where there is crosscollateralzation (i can't spell so if I spelt it wrong sorry).

I hear ya man, I'm having to learn all the stuff as well. What school are you attending?
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

well I have a feeling we are in the same school since you have M'boro listed...I'm at MTSU in Publishing this semester
Quote by rockersrkewl
well I have a feeling we are in the same school since you have M'boro listed...I'm at MTSU in Publishing this semester

Well I'll be damned. I didn't know that there was anyone else from MTSU on UG
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
Well I'll be damned. I didn't know that there was anyone else from MTSU on UG

Yep I don't get on here that much. I normally just read things for amusement. So I'm guessing you are on the music biz side as well? Are you taking Publishing?
Quote by rockersrkewl
Yep I don't get on here that much. I normally just read things for amusement. So I'm guessing you are on the music biz side as well? Are you taking Publishing?

No, I'm Pro Tech. I've always been more into the musical side of things
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Clownmite
UG is based in Russia, US copyright laws don't apply.

God bless Russia
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
If someone wants to implement copyright laws, I think we should first implement proper property rights (proper property )
Quote by Metal-X
No, I'm Pro Tech. I've always been more into the musical side of things

Yeah I'm a little more business oriented, and I love working with bands and watching them do well, and try to keep them from getting screwed! Hopefully one of these days make it where some good music can get heard again instead of all this crap that is clogging everything up.
Quote by rockersrkewl
Yeah I'm a little more business oriented, and I love working with bands and watching them do well, and try to keep them from getting screwed! Hopefully one of these days make it where some good music can get heard again instead of all this crap that is clogging everything up.

I hear ya there. Once the industry learns to embrace and work with digital downloading, then everything should start getting better.

At least I hope so...
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
I hear ya there. Once the industry learns to embrace and work with digital downloading, then everything should start getting better.

At least I hope so...

You and me both! Plus they need to get away from being so much about image...just bc a band looks pretty doesn't mean that there is any talent! Especially when there are some really talented and amazing bands that could really do well if given a chance, but no the label is looking for a fast hit.
Quote by rockersrkewl
You and me both! Plus they need to get away from being so much about image...just bc a band looks pretty doesn't mean that there is any talent! Especially when there are some really talented and amazing bands that could really do well if given a chance, but no the label is looking for a fast hit.

Well they are are looking for something that they can continue to market out to the public. A lot of bands out there have a some good songs, but the A+R people aren't looking at how talented the band is, but how much they can exploit them to the public so that they can make more money.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
Well they are are looking for something that they can continue to market out to the public. A lot of bands out there have a some good songs, but the A+R people aren't looking at how talented the band is, but how much they can exploit them to the public so that they can make more money.

Yeah that is true, I guess that I'm looking for more then just a catchy hit. Or something that sounds like something else that is big (look at Creed, Nickel Back, Hinder) so you know it will market well. The whole thing is an endless cycle really of A+R finding something new and catchy that could hit and then that being released and then they make something else that falls into that same kind of sound, and no real artistic growth. I'm only meaning mainstream hits...I'm not meaning that there isn't anything out there that is good, and shows growth and has meaning.

Eh things reminds me I should really be reading my marketing recordings stuff tonight lol.
Quote by rockersrkewl
Yeah that is true, I guess that I'm looking for more then just a catchy hit. Or something that sounds like something else that is big (look at Creed, Nickel Back, Hinder) so you know it will market well. The whole thing is an endless cycle really of A+R finding something new and catchy that could hit and then that being released and then they make something else that falls into that same kind of sound, and no real artistic growth. I'm only meaning mainstream hits...I'm not meaning that there isn't anything out there that is good, and shows growth and has meaning.

Eh things reminds me I should really be reading my marketing recordings stuff tonight lol.

Haha, yeah I got a studio out my garage that I need to finish, but I probly wont get around to it for another few weeks... or whenever my drummer gets the PA back here.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
Haha, yeah I got a studio out my garage that I need to finish, but I probly wont get around to it for another few weeks... or whenever my drummer gets the PA back here.

Haha yeah. A friend of mine in the protech side agreed to record my friends band who are down in Athens, GA for one of his projects. So I'm trying to work everything out for them (well the singer/lead guitarist, guitarist, bassist) to stay here. The drummer lives in N'ville (long story). So now we're working at booking a gig for the same time they will be up here in Nov. Here is a link to their stuff www.myspace.com/criticaldarlings. Their called Chris McKay and the Critical Darlings they are a power pop rock band. Might not be something you'd like, but I think they're pretty good. Their live stuff blows away the recordings they have up. Have any suggestions to help me get them booked?
Quote by rockersrkewl
Haha yeah. A friend of mine in the protech side agreed to record my friends band who are down in Athens, GA for one of his projects. So I'm trying to work everything out for them (well the singer/lead guitarist, guitarist, bassist) to stay here. The drummer lives in N'ville (long story). So now we're working at booking a gig for the same time they will be up here in Nov. Here is a link to their stuff www.myspace.com/criticaldarlings. Their called Chris McKay and the Critical Darlings they are a power pop rock band. Might not be something you'd like, but I think they're pretty good. Their live stuff blows away the recordings they have up. Have any suggestions to help me get them booked?

Link doesn't work....

Actually promoting that band would be great for your resume, especially if they do well..... hmm, I'm not well aware of all the great venues nashville has to offer, but some good places to start would be The Boro, Bluesboro, Wallstreet, try to get them on the local buzz (Gibson Showcase), and if you can Exit Inn is where most bands play right before they get signed.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
Link doesn't work....

Actually promoting that band would be great for your resume, especially if they do well..... hmm, I'm not well aware of all the great venues nashville has to offer, but some good places to start would be The Boro, Bluesboro, Wallstreet, try to get them on the local buzz (Gibson Showcase), and if you can Exit Inn is where most bands play right before they get signed.

Yeah that is part of the reason I'm doing it, and I really beleive in these guys. A nice mix of old and new stuff that you can swear you've heard it, but then it's something new and exciting. Just try to copy and paste then http://www.myspace.com/criticaldarlings would be the site. If that doesn't work if you do a google search for Chris McKay and the Critical Darlings I know it will show up. I saw them live like 3 times over the summer...helped out with some stuff and wrote concert reviews as well in the process, and this just reassures me of how good they are.

I know about the M'boro places, and if we have to we'll go with those. I have also been to the Exit/In (saw Butch Walker there last April) and I love that place. I've also been to The Rutledge. I'm 20 so I can't quite get into most places yet. Infact this summer I got into the Darlings show bc I "work" with the label (they are signed so a very very small indie label and I volunteered with them all summer another resume builder).
There are a few other concert venues in Nashville.... but I'm not sure if they are genre specific (like the Muse). You might try Rocket town though....
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"