Is there some sort of conversion method for wattage? Like how much is 15w Tube in SS? Or 30w tube? Cheers
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
Quote by Hellfire999
Tube amps sound like 2.5 times the wattage of a SS...

at least.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It varies from amp to amp, but a good rule of thumb is that tube amps are roughly 2.5 times louder for the same wattage than SS amps.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
It varies from amp to amp, but a good rule of thumb is that tube amps are roughly 2.5 times louder for the same wattage than SS amps.

It definatly varies amp to amp.

Fender Twin's are relatively quiet, at 100watts tube, it is about as loud as a 60watt solid state amp. My mesa boogies on the other hand, at 1/4 they can do gigs, while a SS amp of the same wattage would probably be cranked to about 2/3. Fender Hotrods are the loudest wattage/volume amp I've ever played by far, and they're only 60 watts!

Your biggest concerns for going from SS to tube is the cost, and how much more dynamic a tube amp is. Trying to shred on a tube amp with the gain at 10 feels like you're playing a solid stage amp with the gain on 1. Tube amps make you work for credibility as a guitarist, not just give it to you like an SS will.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Sep 13, 2007,
There isn't any solid mathematical formula. Tubes actually are not louder, they are perceived to be louder because of quirks of the human ear. A decibel is a decibel, and a watt is a watt. 2.5 sounds about right to me though.
^^ those are devilles, and theyre thought of as louder because of their silly volume pot that goes to 90% volume at 2 in the knob.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
^^ those are devilles, and theyre thought of as louder because of their silly volume pot that goes to 90% volume at 2 in the knob.

That is true, but they're loud as fack!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^I really hate that about those amps.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...