I am thinking of purchasing one, and I want to know how it sounds. Does it do really heavy distortion? and how is the clean? Tube circuit? I'd be playing it with my ESP LTD EC-1000 (EMG 81/60)

any help appreciated. thanks
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
I have the bigger version and don't generally play with heavy distortion, but I do like the Nu-metal setting and then turning up the gain knob. It does every genre very well... it's probably the most versatile amp I've ever played. I will however buy an AC30 soon to get a full tube amp. The cleans are beautiful. I generally play clean since that's my style. It's crystal.

Hope that helped.
I have a VoxAD30 which I use with a Gibson Les Paul. I find the cleans are fine and there's plenty of distortion (if you want it).

There is also a Vox Valetronix website that gives you settings that other people have found good (just in case you have truble dialing in something you like)
The valvetronix is one of the most versatile amps. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a setting you like.

Definately better than a spider...
i nvr liked them. Your using emgs so im not too sure about it. obviously when i tried out i took the vc30 instead, the price gap isnt that big but im not too sure if it could handle emgs well
hmm its not gonna do very well for metal, you should try out a roland cube 30 or save up for something you will really love.
i have the ad50vt and i love it. its really versatile. and the distortion it has already sounds over the top to me, i dont know how much heavier u need to get....
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I think that the original valvetronix (not the XL) can do metal fine. Turning the gain to full isn't a good idea, because on the higher gain amp models it gets muddy, so anything beyond UK '80s in the way of high gain shouldn't be pushed much further than halfway imo. Its quite good fopr heavy stuff if you use UK modern, Numetal or US highgain settings, but nothing spectacular. Although UK '80s is listed as a heavy metal amp in the manual i think its more for hardrock. The XL series is meant for metal but i've only heard one opinion on it so far and it wasn't positive - apparently its very thin sounding and disappointing.

Its the AC30TB setting on my AD50VT that does it for me. It sounds amazing clean, sounds good with gain cranked. Also the black 2x12 setting is PWN for cleans.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I have the XL model and it is great for metal....I can't say I find it thin sounding at all. As with the standard model there is no need to push the gain past 12 o'clock....

The only negative thing I can say about the XL is there are only 2 clean models, all the others are high, or very high gain so it's not as versatile as the standard model.

If they could only add a few more clean models it would be so much better, but if all you want is high gain metal sounds then this is the amp you want....
Quote by Blompcube
I think that the original valvetronix (not the XL) can do metal fine. Turning the gain to full isn't a good idea, because on the higher gain amp models it gets muddy, so anything beyond UK '80s in the way of high gain shouldn't be pushed much further than halfway imo. Its quite good fopr heavy stuff if you use UK modern, Numetal or US highgain settings, but nothing spectacular. Although UK '80s is listed as a heavy metal amp in the manual i think its more for hardrock. The XL series is meant for metal but i've only heard one opinion on it so far and it wasn't positive - apparently its very thin sounding and disappointing.

Its the AC30TB setting on my AD50VT that does it for me. It sounds amazing clean, sounds good with gain cranked. Also the black 2x12 setting is PWN for cleans.

my logic is that vox knows how to re-create their own sounds better than other amp companies sounds.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Between the AD30VT and the Cube 30, i would o for the Cube if you want a more metal-ish sound. But on the other hand, the Vox is a more versatile amp then the Cube, and has some great built in effects. Try both of them out side by side and then make your decision.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by breadstick
my logic is that vox knows how to re-create their own sounds better than other amp companies sounds.

yeah, it does make sense that the AC15 and AC30TB settings sound more authentic. Also they'd want them to sound good so that people later upgrade to one of these amps rather than any of the others modelled on the Valvetronix. Its convinced me to get an AC30 at some point.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I'm not sure it will handle your EMG's well.
but for sure it will handle them better than a solid state,
Look at the laney Lc series
My friend as a AD30VT and I love it, I almost bought one except I got a good deal on an old musicman which isn't nearly as versatile, but suits my needs more specifically. The AD30VT can do a few things very well, and does everything at least decently. I don't think you can do better for the money.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
i had it. i loved the sound in my room.

if youtr just usin it as a practice amp, id sayu get the 50watt instead, just for that excess volume and maybe less feedback

otherwise, dont btoher. its nice and sounds alright, but for some reason (least on mine) if you didnt have the gain on to some degree it wouldnt get volume, the gain was half the volume, so cleans are a muther****er to get, and if your in a band the AD30VT will NOT cut it -.-
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
ok, thanks guys. Don't get me wrong, even though I have EMG's, I still love my cleans, which is why I got the 60 in the neck. but really, how heavy is the distortion?
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by nan0
any vox with tubes is worth getting.

period.

Its got one tube.

But its still a good amp, and if you replace the tube it should be very good