I really want to learn how to play death metal. I am not exactly sure what I should be practicing and learning.

Anyone have any suggestings on what I should learn/practice?
try something heavy but easy.

go learn entombment of a machine from job for a cowboy.
then get into some more difficult stuff till you can play an autopsy from the faceless =P
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
Quote by SpedGangster
learn to chug.
a lot
and learn to drop your guitar to drop C
haha

also drop B if you want a lower sound.
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
get your head out of your ass and learn how to play guitar, not rock guitar, not blues guitar, not metal guitar, just guitar. Then learn how to play metal.

Please, oh please, don't be another casualty of the chug chug chug tritone repeat mentality.
"Love truth, Pardon error."-Voltaire

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Gibson Black Beauty
Schecter Avenger
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshal 1962 4X12 cab
Dunlop Jazz III's
1. get used to dropped tuning.
2. Pinch harmonix.
3. Backflips.
4. sweeping
5. shredding.
6. using pinky.
7. Find out cool stuff to burn.
8. Become a pyro.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Start with the basics first and then move on to death metal. Some people would say death metal is easy but it depends. Plus, if you know a little of the basics and have practiced other styles as well it'll be easier and less frustrating when you want to try death metal.

It's not just chugga chuga chug all the time, theres more to it. Besides, what kind of death metal are you after?
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
ok first of all i am not new to playing guitar i have been playing 2 or 3 years. What i was asking for was guidance on what to learn. I was to play stuff like through the eyes of the dead and from graves of valor.
Quote by ThroughtheHaze
get your head out of your ass and learn how to play guitar, not rock guitar, not blues guitar, not metal guitar, just guitar. Then learn how to play metal.

Please, oh please, don't be another casualty of the chug chug chug tritone repeat mentality.

Quoted for truth, and for just generally being a very sensible bit of advice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by within the war
ok thanks i know how to play death metal now.

sorted then...

seriously, if you have to ask how to learn something then you might as well jack it in...the guitar is a musical instrument and requires a certain degree of commitment and self-motivation. If you want to learn a specific genre you listen to it, a lot and analyze it to work out what they're doing. If you've been playing 2-3 years then you should have all the basic techniques required at your disposal...if not then wtf have you been doing?

That being the case it's simply a matter of listening, understanding, learning and doing...nobody can tell you how to do that, you need to do it for yourself otherwise you'll never actually learn. I never had to ask somebody how to learn to play in that way, obviously I had to learn specific techniques...how to palm muute, how to bend etc. But as far as learning how to "play" I just did it, I learned the stuff I liked listening to no matter what it was - the worst thing you can do is approach guitar with tunnel vision.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn stuff like Old MacDonald Had a Farm and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
I honestly don't play that much death metal but I'd get some tabs for songs from black metal bands you like and have a look at where they're similar, where they vary, and watch videos on YouTube and whatnot to see if you can get an idea of their techniques. Sorry I'm not much help.
Quote by DevilMayCare
I honestly don't play that much death metal but I'd get some tabs for songs from black metal bands you like and have a look at where they're similar, where they vary, and watch videos on YouTube and whatnot to see if you can get an idea of their techniques. Sorry I'm not much help.

This is the best advice you'll get (except the black metal part, since you wanted death metal). If you want to learn to play a particular genre of music, you must study it and learn the techniques.
Tune down to C if you really wanna get heavy.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Tuning in my opinion doesn't make you heavy....Metallica and Megadeth are heavy as **** in Standard so I say find a tuning you feel comfortable in to write death metal....You'll probably want to learn a few darker scales, probably some minor scales etc...Work on tremello picking....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by MedicreDemon
Tune down to C if you really wanna get heavy.

Real men play in E.

Learn the diminished scale.
learn come six feet under, that will teach you the basic kind of rythem things for death metal, then you should learn some cannibal corpse which can be a fair bit harder, then try some iron maiden and cradle of filth and try to incorperate them into your death metal playing
Dawn of the Angry by Morbid Angel isnt overy hard, its just fast. That was a stepping stone for me to play some harder stuff but it took a while to get it down.
1. Get tabs for your favorite bands.
2. Play them.
3. Repeat step 2 as you wish.
4. Repeat. with different songs
5. Use these influences to write your own songs.
Death - Crystal Mountain.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Being the death metal expert I am I shall answer your question swiftly and effectively.

There's 80's death metal and 90's death metal... then it kind of all went to hell with
the dawn of the new millenium. 80's death metal is considerably easier than thrash so
it can certainly be considered a progressive route.
The things you'll need to improve are: speed and tremelo picking (not every song makes use of these) but it will help.

From 80's death metal I suggest you move on to Thrash and then onto your
Cannibal Corpse & Malevolent Creation & Nile & such and you'll be a pretty wicked player.

Try learning and listening to the following classic death metal albums:

Sepultura - Bestial Devastation, Morbid Visions
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness, Blessed Are The Sick
Possessed - Seven Churches

All of this lot is very easy stuff considering the 'sick' reputation you need to play
death metal.

If you can't afford the albums search for the album titles on you tube or some song
titles from thoose albums. They should be easy to find and you can listen and learn
from there.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
trem picking
pinch harmonics
minor scales
playing fast
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by kyrreca
This is the best advice you'll get (except the black metal part, since you wanted death metal). If you want to learn to play a particular genre of music, you must study it and learn the techniques.

Damn it, my proof reading skills failed me :P
Quote by o d y s s e y
Learn some death, then the fermented offal discharge solo and your set

YES YES! Fermented solo FTW!

Diminished runs are great for death metal. You can just throw in simple or complex diminished bits anywhere.
Wow this threads posts can get bad at times....

Anyways threadstarter, you dont have to tune lower than E standard, you dont have to learn any covers (for now at least)

Quote by within the war
ok thanks i know how to play death metal now.

...What. You learned how to play death metal in... *checks post times* about 5 hours?! Take on fusion next then .

No but seriously. Just play alot of power chords, use distortion, alot of heavy palm muting here and there, tremolo picking, MAYBE sweeps if you can do it. Use frets 0 1 4 5 7 8 11 and 12 on any string, and youre good to go. Try that for now.