Yeah, couple of (what probably are actually pretty simple) math questions im a little stumped with right now. You don't have to give me the answer, but I'm not going to hate you if you do, I just more so what to see how its set up (in a Algebra type way).

76.) You paint 2 square yards of a community mural in 3 hours and a friend paints 4 square yards in 5 hours. How long does it take the two of you to paint 11 square yards when working together?

11.) A chess tutor charges a fee for the first lesson that is 1.5 times the fee for the later lessons. You spend $315 for 10 lessons. How much does the first lesson cost? How much does the later lesson cost?

12.) You buy some calla lilies and peonies at a flower store. Calla lilies cost $3.50 each and peonies cost $5.50 each. The total cost of 12 flowers is $52. How many calla lilies and how many peonies did you buy?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Dude. What grade are you in?

No one help him. He needs to learn.

EDIT: Well, maybe that's a bit harsh.

I'll set the problems up algebraically for you. Just hold up. Algebra's a pain to type.

1) This one I might be wrong on. I think the right way is 1 over how how many jobs over how long it takes to do a job (let's say one job is 2 square yards) plus how many jobs over how long it takes. I'm not sure though.

2) I can just see what the answer is. Not sure how to set it up.
Just kinda common sense I guess. EDIT: For the sake of not looking stupid, I'll just give you the answer. 45 and 30.

3) 3.5x + 5.5 y = 52 because x is the number of calla's and y is the # of peonies.
X + y = 12 You bought twelve flowers in total.
System of equations.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Last edited by abcdboy at Sep 13, 2007,
You don't have to give me the answer, but I'm not going to hate you if you do, I just more so what to see how its set up (in a Algebra type way).

Seems like he's interested in learning, to me.
76.) is 880 mins....3 hours equals 180 mins, 5 hours equals 300 mins...combined they equal 480 mins...so that means they paint together 6 square yards every 480 mins...cross multiply and divide with 11 yards and you get 880 mins
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
the answer is as follows:

e^3 ((b*4/5*pi)/2n) i

e = 2.71828183
b = mass of brain wave synthesis
pi = 3.14
n = stupidity of not trying for yourself
i = imaginary unit
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by abcdboy
1) This one I might be wrong on. I think the right way is 1 over how how many jobs over how long it takes to do a job (let's say one job is 2 square yards) plus how many jobs over how long it takes. I'm not sure though.

2) I can just see what the answer is. Not sure how to set it up.
Just kinda common sense I guess. EDIT: For the sake of not looking stupid, I'll just give you the answer. 45 and 30.

3) 3.5x + 5.5 y = 52 because x is the number of calla's and y is the # of peonies.
X + y = 12 You bought twelve flowers in total.
System of equations.

I'm still pretty confused with number one, and I'm sure your answer is correct for number two, just I really need to see how its done, I'd be much better off that way. Thank you though.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
I'm still pretty confused with number one, and I'm sure your answer is correct for number two, just I really need to see how its done, I'd be much better off that way. Thank you though.

10.5x = 315.

There you go.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Well since I like to help out, my interpretation of #1:
You paint 2/3hrs = 0.66.. /hr. Your friend paints 4/5hrs = 0.8/hr. In total, your team paints 1.466 .. /hr. To find how long the whole job takes: 11 / 1.466... = 7.5 hrs.
Hope this helps.
Feel the fire of barbecue
Burning in the hell
Everybody's gonna bring
A lot of beers and meat

MASSACRATION!!!
For #2:
Let x represent the standard lesson rate.
1.5x + 9x = 315
x = 30
The first lesson is 1.5x = 45.

#3 you can do yourself I suppose ...
Feel the fire of barbecue
Burning in the hell
Everybody's gonna bring
A lot of beers and meat

MASSACRATION!!!
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Yeah, couple of (what probably are actually pretty simple) math questions im a little stumped with right now. You don't have to give me the answer, but I'm not going to hate you if you do, I just more so what to see how its set up (in a Algebra type way).

76.) You paint 2 square yards of a community mural in 3 hours and a friend paints 4 square yards in 5 hours. How long does it take the two of you to paint 11 square yards when working together?

11.) A chess tutor charges a fee for the first lesson that is 1.5 times the fee for the later lessons. You spend $315 for 10 lessons. How much does the first lesson cost? How much does the later lesson cost?

12.) You buy some calla lilies and peonies at a flower store. Calla lilies cost $3.50 each and peonies cost $5.50 each. The total cost of 12 flowers is $52. How many calla lilies and how many peonies did you buy?

Thanks for any help you can give.

76.) (your jobs/hour) + (friend's jobs/hour) = (total jobs/x)
2/3 + 4/5 = 11/x
x = 7.5

11.) (Fee for first lesson) + 9(fee for every other lesson) = (total cost)
1.5x + 9x = 315
x = 30, so $45 for first lesson and $30 for every lesson after that

12. (cost per Calla)*(number of Callas) + (cost per Peony)*(Total Peonies) = (total cost)
(number of Peonies) = 12 - (number of callas)
3.50x + 5.50(12-x) = 52
3.50x + 66 - 5.50x = 52
14 = 2x
x = 7, so 7 callas and 5 peonies.

Hope that helps.
Quote by LochieW
Thats it, attackofnose wins LochieW's Official Trophy of Using His Googling Skills to the Max!

Hooray!
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Oh my gosh guys, thats wonderful!

Thank you all.

No problem. I'm going to be a math tutor this year so I guess I need the practice.
Quote by LochieW
Thats it, attackofnose wins LochieW's Official Trophy of Using His Googling Skills to the Max!

Hooray!