I figured I'd come out and ask the question. I've been looking for a type of pick that I might like. I've tested quite a few with many dissappointments about feel. I'm down to my last Snarl <never buying again> and about to go get another dozen of picks. I'd just figured I'd ask people what they recomend sence you guys seem to be pretty bright and uniqe to yourselfs. I know i'm going to get a bounch of diffrent ideas. I like to play pretty quick, but I do like the heavier style picks.

Thanks for your time of reading my ramblings.
if u can dadi classic 0.58's are what i use for quicker picking but i use a like .75 mm tortex for blues.
I personally use 2mm Dunlop Big Stubbies. You can get them in 1mm and 3mm as well, but I find the 2mm ones to be absolutely perfect. I can't even play properly with a "normal" pick anymore now...
I have used the tortex, I always seemed to drop them, but I was using 1.16mm

List of what I've used
Tortex 1.16mm
Epiphone Standard "Size wasn't said but medium"
Fender Mediums
Snarl Dogs .56 < big mistake
Pick of Desteny <I couldn't resist the temptation>
Guitar Center's Standard
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I use my fingers.

Props to you man, I wish I could use my fingeres, I get really confused when I try.
Quote by Dayn
I personally use 2mm Dunlop Big Stubbies. You can get them in 1mm and 3mm as well, but I find the 2mm ones to be absolutely perfect. I can't even play properly with a "normal" pick anymore now...

I have heard some good things about the Stubbies, but sadly enough guitar center doesn't have them in my area... Or they are sold out? lol.
Dunlop Jazz III's
the ultimate picks!
"Love truth, Pardon error."-Voltaire

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Gibson Black Beauty
Schecter Avenger
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshal 1962 4X12 cab
Dunlop Jazz III's
dunlop tortex, i use the 1 mm and the .88s, whichever i feel like using at that moment. usually 1.0 for heavy rhythm and .88 for strumming or a bit of both. good picks, they last forever.
dunlop jazz 3 and jazz 3 stiffi. amazing picks. kinda small, but very fast and they also last forever (most dunlops last a while). excellent articulation, i can't use the tortex picks for anything but rhythm after I picked up a jazz 3. John Petrucci uses the stiffi. i believe they are 1.38 mm only.
3mm dunlop big stubbies. solid. last forever. sound great. no pick floppyness.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by ThroughtheHaze
Dunlop Jazz III's
the ultimate picks!

see? this guy knows what he's talking about.
Quote by Nightfyre
dunlop tortex, i use the 1 mm and the .88s, whichever i feel like using at that moment. usually 1.0 for heavy rhythm and .88 for strumming or a bit of both. good picks, they last forever.
dunlop jazz 3 and jazz 3 stiffi. amazing picks. kinda small, but very fast and they also last forever (most dunlops last a while). excellent articulation, i can't use the tortex picks for anything but rhythm after I picked up a jazz 3. John Petrucci uses the stiffi. i believe they are 1.38 mm only.

The stubbie seems to be a jazz III but using a diffrent material for it's creation. O.o hmmm

Anyone know what the diffrence is?
Quote by Dayn

I couldn't agree more I use the 1mm for acoustic, 2mm for most all electric, and 3mm for my les paul with the .070 ghs zw boomers. absolutely cannot play any other pick anymore
hmmm so it seems to be a shot between the jazz III and the stubbies lol which seem to be almost the same pick design just diffrent material.
Quote by WickedBeast666
The stubbie seems to be a jazz III but using a diffrent material for it's creation. O.o hmmm

Anyone know what the diffrence is?

depends on which jazz 3, i think the stiffi is a different material. also, the jazz 3 is smaller and has a jazz style tip (much more pointy). i think the stubbie is older than the jazz 3.
kk, just checked that, Stubbies use lexan
and Jazz III's use Nylon, Ultex <are they making words?>

Hmmm lol, is there a diffrence from the material. I think there should be a pick testing station at some guitar stores just for this mess.
Quote by WickedBeast666
kk, just checked that, Stubbies use lexan
and Jazz III's use Nylon, Ultex <are they making words?>

Hmmm lol, is there a diffrence from the material. I think there should be a pick testing station at some guitar stores just for this mess.

dunno much about lexan, but ultex is somewhat flexable and obscenely hard to break. i think it's the longest-lasting of the three. speaking of which, their ultex picks are pretty good (basically a tortex made of ultex with a rhino on it.) nylon's firm when it's thicker, and also wears well.
the only material i reconized out of the 3 was nylon O.o am I just read, or are they making up words? Lol, so out of the 2 Jazz's the ultex would be the choice is what i'm hearing.
Go for the black jazz III, if you go red, its waay to flexible, and IMO lame.

Also: the difference between the stubbie and the and the Jazz III is that the stubbie is super fat, whereas the the Jazz III is regular thickness.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
ah, i didn't even look at the thickness untill now, But the jazz III comes in 1 size, 1.38 i belive, and the stubbie comes in 1mm, 2mm, 3mm. Wouldn't the 1mm be thiner then the jazz III? lol
I've used lots of dunlop, and I can tell you I prefer Cool Picks over them. I know they sound like a no-name, but they the boutique pick maker, the best quality picks, with great grips. I hate playing any other kind of pick out there in comparison. The biggest thing they have over others is the grips on them, they are just amazing.

http://www.elderly.com/brand/COOL%20PICKS.html

I specifically like the JURATEX models.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Sep 14, 2007,