Looking at some Overdrive pedals.

I have $80 in hand, and I start a new job at Gamestop this weekend, so I can probably be able to afford a pricier pedal very soon.

A few that I'm looking at are (in order of my ranking based on the sound samples at musicians friend):

1) BOSS ODB 3 Overdrive
2) GK Deisel Dog
3) MXR Blow Torch
4) Electro Harmonix Metal Muff

The thing that I like most about the Boss pedal is that it doesn't seem to hurt the low end at all. On the Electro Harmonix, it sounds like the demo was done with a guitar, which is definitely NOT what I want.

The GK and MXR pedals didn't have any samples, so I'm just going by word of mouth.

Anybody have any experience or recomendations? I want a solid sounding OD that doesn't kill my low-end.
that Boss is pretty sick, my friend owns one
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Well, first of all, The BOSS ODB-3 is the only real "overdrive" pedal on that list. The rest are distortion pedals.

I have an Ibanez PD-7, and it's pretty good. You can have anywhere from a edgy, dirty bass tone to a grating distortion.

I would also recommend the Fulltone Bass Driver - expensive, but from the sound clips I've heard of it, worth every penny.
i use a Boss ODB-3 There good for what they do. You can also use them as a boost pedal.
go for the muff (Looks over shoulder and sees the fitz charging at me with machete in hand)

seriously get the ODB 3 i use it live and it cuts through nicely but you still keep your low end
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Ibanez PD-7 for an excellent all-around pedal, Boss ODB-3 for serious fuzzy, dirty distortion, Ampeg Bass Scrambler (more expensive) for smoother tube-like growl and drive.

Also SansAmp BDDI are popular as both an overdrive unit and a DI box.

Ihave a PD-7 and an ODB-3 for different levels of drive/distortion and I'm happy enough.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I own the ODB-3 and I love it. It's really easy to use and gives me exactly the sound I want. I think it's best for that slightly crunchy naturally overdriven sound (which I personally am in love with and use it quite often in my band's compositions). You get the distortion AND the 'oomph'! But that doesn't mean you can't get the greasy over-the-top sick distortion out of it.

It's a great pedal, you won't regret buying it.
Like Charlatan_001 said, the Fulltone is fantastic, and that's what I use. However, it's meant as a pedal that pisses off your clean tone, instead of giving you a totally different tone. If you have the opportunity to get a Fulltone but instead get a Metal Muff, I'll ATTACK!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
There also exists the digitech bass driver which has distortion, overdrive and fuzz sounds. Why hasn't anyone mentioned it yet?
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by pagiatis
There also exists the digitech bass driver which has distortion, overdrive and fuzz sounds. Why hasn't anyone mentioned it yet?

Because while it's quite versitile, it has a digital-ish sound, and it isn't quite as good as the Diesel Dawg, doesn't have the EQing capabilities of the BlowTorch, and it isn't the Fulltone Bass Drive. It's a good pedal, but it's more in-line with the ODB3 than the others. However, I do recommend it over the ODB3 sight unseen.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Charlatan_001
I always found the ODB-3 to sound too "buzzy" and somewhat like a muffled fart.

Keep the gain lower and you get a lovely vintage overdrive, which enhances the tone and gives a little fuzz bit on the edge,
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Just wondering fitzy, can you get a tube-esque grind out of that fulltone? And out of that list I would recommend the blowtorch, great pedal.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Just wondering fitzy, can you get a tube-esque grind out of that fulltone? And out of that list I would recommend the blowtorch, great pedal.

That's EXACTLY what the pedal does. Me, I'm more into the fire-breathing overdrive (but not distortion), but the pedal clips and distorts like a class A tube amp. That's what the manual says, anyway. What you have to understand is that there's no active EQing or anything; there are 2 distortion channels (independant of one another), volume, and a tone roll-off. You're basically taking your clean tone, boosting it to hell, and playing it as is. I never understood what 'tonally transparent' meant until I got this pedal. Every nuance of your playing will ring through clearly, except louder, angrier, and grittier. You can just roll off the tone if the grit is too harsh.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
My local shop just had a big shipment of fulltone pedals so I think I'll take a trip down and try one of those babies out then!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
tech 21 XXL and tech21 bassdriver are the best overrive pedals imo
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
^Yeah, but the Bass Driver is meant to be much more than an overdrive pedal. Actually, the DI in it's name is a bit of a giveaway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Emergancy Exit
tech 21 XXL and tech21 bassdriver are the best overrive pedals imo

I'm gonna have to agree with this guy. tech 21 bass di was the best thing to happen to my rig since I picked up the bass guitar. Amazingly heavy but subtle crunch that takes nothing away from the low end (common w/too much distortion). If you can wait until you get 200 bucks, it will be well worth it.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
is there a way that could get good tone from a guitar pedal but using it on a bass. i have the df 7 dist factory. but idont want to get rid of it and i need a dist pedal for bass
The boss OBD-3 really is a great bit of kit, I own one myself and it's a joy to use, if you take some time fiddling then you can get some great sounds!
I'd get the GK or the Dunlop
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by metalhead089
is there a way that could get good tone from a guitar pedal but using it on a bass. i have the df 7 dist factory. but idont want to get rid of it and i need a dist pedal for bass

Be careful with this. Usually distortion or overdrive pedals designed for a guitar will boost the crap out of your mids/hi-mids while all but eliminating your low-end. This happens especially with "metal" style pedals. I would stick with one designed for a bass guitar.

One thing you could try would be using that guitar pedal with your bass and listening to your low end through your rig, see if it makes a difference when you play with the levels on the pedal. I tried this with a bunch of my old guitar pedals and never found one I really liked.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
the fulltone bass drive if you can afford one.....

otherwise i'd just go for the boss bass overdrive... its really good actually..... the problem with it is that it is like......................... half distortion and half overdrive........ its not really a 100% overdrive pedal like the fulltone.......
Today I tried out a Digitech Overdrive/Distortion

And it was crap. Going to keep looking, not impressed by Digitech at all.
GK Diesel Dawg. I don't own one, but I own one of their amps with the same distortion circuit, and it sounds br00tal.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Anybody ever tried a Danelectro Fab Tone Distortion pedal or can tell me much about it?

I found one on Talkbass that I might be willing to haggle for if I like the sound
Quote by BlueShox
Anybody ever tried a Danelectro Fab Tone Distortion pedal or can tell me much about it?

I found one on Talkbass that I might be willing to haggle for if I like the sound

I actually did. Danelectro pedals turn EVERYTHING into the exact same sound. Hell, you could plug in a piano and it'll sound like a distorted guitar.

You know Fab Tone pedals are $20, right?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Not until I checked it out on Zzsounds.

The seller made it seem quite "rare" as well. :/
So much for an honest salesman.

Oh well, onto the next. I'm going to try and hop around the local music shops this week, see if I can't play a few more things.
Quote by thefitz
I actually did. Danelectro pedals turn EVERYTHING into the exact same sound. Hell, you could plug in a piano and it'll sound like a distorted guitar.

You know Fab Tone pedals are $20, right?

I have to agree with that. Danelectro stuff is cheap as chips and sounds it, but I'd rather take a Danelectro and get a generic, "meh" sound than a Behringer pedal and get an abomination of a sound.

Shame, I've heard some of the old vintage Danelectro stuff is fairly decent, though not for bass.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
the danelectro equalizer, cant remember whats its called, i think its 6-band only sounds pretty cool for the price.... dunno about the rest..
Anyone know how to get Geddy Lee's half overdrive sound out of a pedal?

I heard he uses 2 amps, 1 clean and one OD. Don't know if this is true.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I'm still waiting for my new amp setup till I get the beast that is the EBS Valvedrive. That thing is a monster.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Woogles
Anyone know how to get Geddy Lee's half overdrive sound out of a pedal?

I heard he uses 2 amps, 1 clean and one OD. Don't know if this is true.

I believe he DI's his bass, and the "crunchy" part of his tone comes from a Tech21 SansAmp RBI
Quote by FullMetalBass
So how bout that Snarling Dogz wah/distortion pedal? Does it have good distortion?

It's a fuzz pedal, not distortion. Fuzz has a very unique sound that's an aquired taste. If you're looking for a transparent distortion or overdrive, this is the exact opposite of what you're looking for.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
It's a fuzz pedal, not distortion. Fuzz has a very unique sound that's an aquired taste. If you're looking for a transparent distortion or overdrive, this is the exact opposite of what you're looking for.

Transparent meaning all the distortion on the high's?
Quote by FullMetalBass
Transparent meaning all the distortion on the high's?

No, not at all. Transparent meaning it does not change or affect your clean tone beyond getting it to overdrive. Tonally transparent pedals will capture all your nuances when playing and won't add it's own tonal character. This is a desired feature when your other gear is good because pedals like that tend to make all basses sound the same. However, if you're playing with crap, then you might want this.
Quote by Cody_Grey102