I need some advice. We haven't written our own music yet. We haven't got to just jam yet because everyone but me knows absolutely no theory.

Our vocalist never even practices that I know of and almost every song we try to cover just for practice, he's like "Guys my voice can't hit this tone!!" and he can't scream. We tried to teach him, use your stomach, and don't let out all your air, but he won't. He is dedicated, but we never can get together.

Our drummer is pretty decent, but he can never practice because of other things he has to do. I forgot, he is completely closed-minded to classic rock.

Our bassist is the most undedicated person I have ever met. He is always on the phone so when we call him, we can't talk to him. And his excuse for that is "Well, I have other friends besides the band!" and I think he is just doing it to impress chicks. And he wants to put off learning scales for some reason. I thought him the minor pentatonic on guitar, but that doesn't help much with bass. I want him to know scales so I am not on my own writing all the music.

I play guitar. I don't think I am that good, but other people always seem to. I practice at very minimum, 1hr per day. There are a few times where I wouldn't be able to practice, but that doesn't really matter because most of the time, I can, and because all the other members wouldn't be able to anyways.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 14, 2007,
Well, what should I do? Our vocalist wants to practice all the time, when he could be practicing on his own, he just bitches that we can't practice.
To complicate things even more:

The drum set is not even out drummers. Our vocalist's mom bought it for use because she is really supportive and because out drummer could bring his drum set for whatever reason. Which sucks anyways.
On a serious note I would say kick the bass player because if he is in it for the chicks he will not be very helpful to your music making and he probably WILL get all the chicks cuz the entire world is a sham.
A band of my very own:

Pyknic
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. The thing is though, it's with my friends. I don't want to end any friendships over this stupid thing.
You tell your vocalist that he should stop being a little bitch about practicing. You say to him, "Look, if you want to practice then do it yourself at home. Otherwise help me get our slacker-ass bassist to go to our damn practices!" And then go, "I'm sorry, but you left me no choice because you were whining like a little bitch, and as a friend I had to tell it to you straight."

And you tell that punk ass bassist of yours that if he's not going to go to practice then he's not going to be in the band. If he get's all pissy pissy about it, then just tell him, "If you don't want to practice, it's fine. You have no talent anyways and therefore contribute nothing to the band even when you're here. So, we're kicking you out."

Seriously though. Just tell them sincerely to stop being an ass about everything. If they're your friends they'll understand.
I like your methods of reasoning burndttoast they seem very... whats the phrase im looking for ... honest, in a i'll cut you if you dont listen kinda way
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
behringer pedal:TO800, UD100, EQ700
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
-have succesful first show
Form another band maybe?Then get out of your original band
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Teach your singer diaphragmatic breathing, and unless he's just a good friend or something, if he can't learn it, can him. You can never do anything as a band if noone else practices. The bassist, tell him if he doesn't get it together he'll be canned.

The drummer needs to be open minded about CR music, because you guys will be learning music for each other, and he needs to learn some stuff for you guys too.

As for the bass thing, I prefer my friend not knowing any theory whatsoever because I can write whatever I want for the bass on my songs. They are mine, and ultimately I get to decide what goes down there, and he's comfortable just playing what I tell him to for my stuff. He says the same thing that I do; "It's your stuff, so it should sound the way that you want it to."
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
As for the bass thing, I prefer my friend not knowing any theory whatsoever because I can write whatever I want for the bass on my songs. They are mine, and ultimately I get to decide what goes down there, and he's comfortable just playing what I tell him to for my stuff. He says the same thing that I do; "It's your stuff, so it should sound the way that you want it to."

Good point.
Well, the drummer thing sucks. I'm not in a band, but before I left for college me and a drumming buddy would jam every now and then. The vocalist thing we never dealt with... only vocalists we knew were taken or were in chorus for broadway .

The bassist thing, on the other hand, has an easy solution. Go to him, as a friend, and tell him this band is important to you. Give him an ultimatum; show up, and work, or you're out. Offer to jam with him when he's not busy if you have to kick him out.
The whole refusal to learn theory makes me laugh, because I wonder if my bassist friend is related to that guy. He did the exact same thing. I was at the point where if I heard "Don't bother me, I'll just play it by feel!" one more time, I wouldn't want to deal with any more. Btw, he couldn't play it by feel...
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
i have pretty much the same problem, the other guys i jam with barely know what each chord is called, and know no scales at all. This makes my suggestion of "jamming in a key" sound alien to them, and one of them just ****s off and plays his own thing

luckily, i've been writing my own stuff and me and the drummer will probably keep rehearsing on our own just to show the other 2 how slack they are.

And you tell that punk ass bassist of yours that if he's not going to go to practice then he's not going to be in the band. If he get's all pissy pissy about it, then just tell him, "If you don't want to practice, it's fine. You have no talent anyways and therefore contribute nothing to the band even when you're here. So, we're kicking you out."QUOTE]

brillant, pure and honest. i agree with burndttoast.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")