Page 1 of 2
This is mainly for metalheads, but I put it in the pit, so I guess everyone can share their opinion.
So I've been playing football for 3 years (this is my 4th) and whenever we lift weights we've always listened to metal (we used to listen to nu-metal, but we ended that.)
All of a sudden, the other day I didn't have my ipod w/ me & this one kid starts playing some crap that I would probably tolerate usually, but not when lifting weights. (The reason we listen to metal for weights is because it gets us pumped)
So my friend (one of 3 who actually listen to metal on the team) changed it to Cry of the Blackbirds (Amon Amarth) & he got yelled at by the seniors (except me, but he's a junior, and we lift as juniors/seniors)
He then had to put the crap back on while me & the 2nd metal kid (who was doing squats @ the time) were verbally protesting. So I then said, "c'mon tyler let's take 'em out" but he was on squats so I jokingly acted like I was gonna start kicking ass.
Anyway, it basically became an argument where the majority of the juniors/seniors were opposing metal, saying it sucked and that they hated it. So the three of us retaliated w/ the talent factor, saying how metal has much more talent than pop/rap music. One kid continually suggested that rap has more talent than metal b/c all they do in metal is "scream."
So I then said "Did you just say rap and talent in the same sentence without the word 'no'?"
But he was trying to say that rap has much more words compact in it, which means it requires more talent.
So I explain to him that most rap is just one person talking over a keyboard with a beat playing about how much money he has or how many people he's killed or how big his dick is or how big his rims are, etc. I'm aware that not all rap is like this, but I used to listen to it, so I know plenty.
I guess what I'm saying is, do you think rap/pop (American pop) has more talent than metal? if so, please explain why.
What do you listen to when lifting weights or are trying to get "pumped up."?
I'm not asking for any sympathy or any of that shit, and I've already rubbed icy hot on people and almost got my ass kicked for it, so none of that.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
In Israel in the GYM they used to put Psychedelic Trance! UGGGHHHH!
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I thought Rap had something to do with mathematical patterns and rhythm? Sure seems like talent is required to play the guitar rather than using a synth.
Quote by the spiker
I thought Rap had something to do with mathematical patterns and rhythm? Sure seems like talent is required to play the guitar rather than using a synth.

those are called time signatures, and metal has them too.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Of course it takes more talent. But with my team I just put on whatever the hell I want, and jsut make mix cd's of a bunch of ****, nu-metal, black metal, death, etc... I don't get the real point of this thread
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Unce unce unce
Gear:
Ibanez RG2ex2
mega distortion md-2
Metal Muff
Marshall MG microstack
Line 6 spyder hd75 halfstack
Sonic Stomp
Schecter Damien 6
Why can't you guys mix it up? Have someone make a mixed cd of songs that cover everything you all like so that everyone gets a bit of what they want.

EDIT: And far as what takes more talent: It depends on the artists quite frankly.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Sep 14, 2007,
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Of course it takes more talent. But with my team I just put on whatever the hell I want, and jsut make mix cd's of a bunch of ****, nu-metal, black metal, death, etc... I don't get the real point of this thread

I asked if you think metal has more talent (which you answered) and what you listen to in the weight room (which you also answered)
So, even though you didn't get the real point of the thread you still contributed I guess.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by urik
In Israel in the GYM they used to put Psychedelic Trance! UGGGHHHH!

I DO THAT TOO. YIPEE! I TOTALLY 2ND THAT DUDE.

Rap is just a poetic form of expression, which for me doesn't have a lot of feeling to it. Metal equals emotions and feelings. Deepness for that matter.

Metal > Rap. It's so logical, it doesn't need to be questioned .
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
Quote by the spiker

I doubt most rappers can do math.
Quote by terrencemaddox
Why can't you guys mix it up? Have someone make a mixed cd of songs that cover everything you all like so that everyone gets a bit of what they want.

Well today one of the captains said we'd only listen to classic rock from now on (which I have no problem with, but I'd rather listen to something that gets me pumped...(metal) but I don't know how long that will last...)
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
In my weight room we today had in order:

AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long
Linkin Park song.
POD Song - Youth of the Nation?
CCR - Traveling Band
And other crappy pop songs.
In all honesty you probably shouldn't even play music then, because if you like it someone else won't, and vice versa. Normally it wouldn't make a difference but seeing as how your lifting weights it has a real effect on you. The whole which style takes more talent argument is pointless. Thats like trying to say one instrument is easier than another, or a certain sport is harder than the next. It's all opinion plus there's no standard on which to judge.
Quote by Pertenozzo

Metal > Rap. It's so logical, it doesn't need to be questioned .

That's what I've always thought, which is the exact reason I acted so incredulously when I heard this kid say rap has talent, nonetheless more talent than metal (one of the most talent-requiring types of music.)
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by nebraskan
Well today one of the captains said we'd only listen to classic rock from now on (which I have no problem with, but I'd rather listen to something that gets me pumped...(metal) but I don't know how long that will last...)

You should tell him that his decision isn't very captain-like. He should do what is best for the team, yeah? Well, what he is saying sounds selfish. Tell him, but be respectful haha.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by terrencemaddox
You should tell him that his decision isn't very captain-like. He should do what is best for the team, yeah? Well, what he is saying sounds selfish. Tell him, but be respectful haha.

But when you think about it, most people love classic rock (just not for lifting weights IMO)
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by nebraskan
That's what I've always thought, which is the exact reason I acted so incredulously when I heard this kid say rap has talent, nonetheless more talent than metal (one of the most talent-requiring types of music.)

Even though my favorite band is Iron Maiden and I listen to a lot of metal, IMO Jazz, Classical , blues, and many other genres require more talent than metal.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Dude, I don't mean to sound rude, but you just acted like a douche in front of those guys. So what if the music doesn't get you "pumped up"? Just ignore it and the next day bring your iPod. and no, none of them is harder since both have their ups and highs, and music is not a race to play the fastest stuff ever.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by blarnbatt
that does sound like high school
Hah! +1
I think that rapping is a simple idea, but when you set out to do it (and do it well), it requires just as much talent as metal. I think a lot of people rag on rap is because they don't care to try and like it and understand the artistic value in it. So I guess that I'm saying certain rap is requires just as much talent as metal, just not the same type of talent.

As for workout music, I listen to anything with a nice beat and rhythm. I focus better that way. Or songs that remind me of something else that pisses me off. I have a lot of those.
So hold on... you usually play metal in the weight room every time you lift weights, and you got mad at some people that didn't want to listen to metal?

That sounds about right.

Why don't you just suck it up and listen to something else for a day?

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure any rapper could make good metal, if they practiced at it hard enough.
Quote by urik
Even though my favorite band is Iron Maiden and I listen to a lot of metal, IMO Jazz, Classical , blues, and many other genres require more talent than metal.

those three are the ones I was thinking of when I said "one of the most"
probably classical & blues more than jazz b/c I play guitar in the Jazz band @ my school & it's not that hard, not harder than metal anyway (but I'm sure there's some really hard stuff out there too...)
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
This thread is pretty much an utter fail. Who cares how much talent it takes to play music, when that has nothing to do with how the notes go into your ear. And I don't think adrenaline is terribly necessary when you're lifting weights. I mean you do a set, and then you stop... You don't really need any momentum, so what's the point? Not to mention I get way more pumped listening to AZ then Metallica. A rapper spitting a mind-bending multi is way better then anything metal can do.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Yeah well it's all relative. Composing may be harder in some genres, but playing in others, while in some it's harder to show emotion than in others.
I just tend to say that after a certain point, there isn't harder or easier and there isn't better or worse.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by AngusIsMyHero
So hold on... you usually play metal in the weight room every time you lift weights, and you got mad at some people that didn't want to listen to metal?

That sounds about right.

Why don't you just suck it up and listen to something else for a day?

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure any rapper could make good metal, if they practiced at it hard enough.

trust me, I was the mildest of the 3 of us when the music was changed, I really didn't do as much as them to protest (one reason is because it was early in the moring) because I figured it would happen eventually, I had just hoped it would go differently I guess.
And to your edit: I'm not so sure about that...
(nice avatar lol)
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by nebraskan
But when you think about it, most people love classic rock (just not for lifting weights IMO)

Maybe on your team (I have no way of knowing), but in general not necessarily.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by nebraskan
those three are the ones I was thinking of when I said "one of the most"
probably classical & blues more than jazz b/c I play guitar in the Jazz band @ my school & it's not that hard, not harder than metal anyway (but I'm sure there's some really hard stuff out there too...)

Well, it's easy to play blues. It's just hard as hell to make it sound good.
Quote by AngusIsMyHero

"blues is the easiest music to play and the hardest to feel" -Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by AngusIsMyHero

Mmmh it quite depends. BB King may be easy to play.
But for example check the solo of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0

It's really hard to play
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

it pisses me off so much...in the locker room for football they play the SAME RAP SONG EVERY ****ING DAY it is so annoying....i'll be walking to the locker room hearing something about pineapple juice, malibu, and making baby girl come.....every day....and FINALLY someone puts in tool...i mean seroiusly, the same thing everyday, and no one gets annoyed by it? oh yeah, and our locker room has like, four 5x3 speakers in all the corners on the wall, and the volume is always on like, 40....
you should listen to iron when in the weight room, great metal band, that really gets you pumped
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Quote by TheClincher
it pisses me off so much...in the locker room for football they play the SAME RAP SONG EVERY ****ING DAY it is so annoying....i'll be walking to the locker room hearing something about pineapple juice, malibu, and making baby girl come.....every day....and FINALLY someone puts in tool...i mean seroiusly, the same thing everyday, and no one gets annoyed by it? oh yeah, and our locker room has like, four 5x3 speakers in all the corners on the wall, and the volume is always on like, 40....

Yeah, our speakers are pretty shitty, that's why our other metal kid (a weird kid, he seems to only like a few metal bands like Opeth & Dimmu Borgir) doesn't want to hear metal in there but the rest of us think it's fine. (maybe it's because I've heard the songs before enough to know what's going on?)
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by nebraskan
trust me, I was the mildest of the 3 of us when the music was changed, I really didn't do as much as them to protest (one reason is because it was early in the moring) because I figured it would happen eventually, I had just hoped it would go differently I guess.
And to your edit: I'm not so sure about that...
(nice avatar lol)

Well, I understand not wanting to listen to it, it's just that these guys have sucked it up for a long time (if I'm reading it correctly), and your friends protest when they have to listen to it for one day? That doesn't seem right to me.

And I'm pretty sure anybody could learn to play metal, that is if they put enough time and effort into learning it. I know a guy that loves rap more than anything else, and he is just as good at guitar as I am. Not that it is saying much, but you get the picture. If he really tried learning metal, he'd be able to do it. Just like somebody would be able to learn how to rap.

And I put this avatar on here a while back and haven't changed it. Chamillionaire is one of my favorite rappers.

Quote by nebraskan
"blues is the easiest music to play and the hardest to feel" -Jimi Hendrix

Exactly
Metal and rap are two completely different genres, and it's hardly fair to compare them to each other, talent-wise or not. Sure, it takes some talent to play, say, an Atheist song, but it sure as hell isn't easy to freestyle rap (do it well at least) or to write some deep meaningful lyrics.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
In terms of talent, radio rap is way near the bottom.

Gonna rate it personally.

Fingerstyle
Classical (interchangeable with fingerstyle)
Metal
Jazz
Classic Rock
Blues

I know I've left out more than a few genres of music, but that's my two cents.

This is technical proficiency by the way, in terms of musical enjoyment, I can't dictate.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
Page 1 of 2