Page 1 of 2
How did y'all pick your lead and rhythm guitar? Me and my friend are starting a band and were kind of torn between who is who.
I used search bar, nothing.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

Because we only have 2 guitarist. And you i don't think it will sound very good w/o a rhythm.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

the more skilled in keeping beats and playing chords right should be rhythm

the one who can solo and improvise better should be lead.
im in the same perdicament
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Medium head

Ibanez RG1570 Black with Green Dimarzios (For Sale)
Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/59)
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)

Ibanez Tube Screamer
Metal Muff
DOD Death metal
Cry baby Wah
Quote by TOAOIsaac
Because we only have 2 guitarist. And you i don't think it will sound very good w/o a rhythm.

No you fool, im saying, why cant both of you, BE BOTH ? As in, you play lead sometimes, rhythm sometimes, and switch off with him? Its more fun like that for both players, no one feels bad for not being able to solo, and you both get center stage as guitar players.
both be lead and rhythm. Alternate between who plays lead in what songs etc etc..

Edit: beaten to it
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
when my band first started, i was strictly rhythm. my lead player was rhythm AND lead, clearly because there are some parts in the song where there are no solos/lead type overlays. as we've progressed and gotten better at song writing, and I myself have improved my lead chops a bit, we share roles. some songs, we each have 1 or 2 solos. some songs, unlike when we first started, I am the only one with a solo.

what im getting at is, what someone up above said, the player who is better at lead playing is obviously the solo guy. now, as time goes on, the 2 of you will inevitably get better, so if you are feeling up to it, you can have a go at some solos too. there are no set rules that once a person is the lead player, that no one else can play solos, that would just be crazy.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
alternation is key. the only reason most bands put lead guitar and rhythm guitar in the liner notes is due to the fact one doesn't solo and doesn't want to, while the other does.

look at metallica (back in the day when they were good). hetfield (now a terrorist ) and hammett both pulled off equally awesome solos, and harmonized while no rhythm guitar was going.

another thing to realize is there are times it's perfectly acceptable to have the drums and bass keep rhythm while both guitars do some great harmonized melodies. one person doesn't always need to be full on chords and the other full on lead.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
one who has the best amp wins.

lol jk. in my band, we switch off leads, and when ur not playing leads, u play rhythm. it works out quite well.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I know I'd rather be a rhythm guitarist. But I think I'm in the minority, probably.
I made you a cookie but I eated it.
Well, if one of you is singing, that one should probably be rhythm because:

a) They wont be hogging the spotlight through solos and singing and

b) Its quite hard to sing along with playing lead licks from time to time.

Otherwise, if neither are singing, you should share the roles.
Hello
I think giving guitarist's a label like Lead or Rythm is pretty much a bad thing...

A "GUITARIST" should know his/her instument!

If you get sum1 that sez they're only rythm then they arnt serious about being the best they can be and why would you want that in your band?

Same does for Lead.

A real dedicated GUITARIST should know his/her instrument! its not a matter of doing one or the other!! Both guitarist should be capable of both solo's and rythm in my opinion. Also roles should be shared between band members!
You could do some WILD stuff with two guitars.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
You know, you can switch off depending on the song. For example, should your guitarist A write a good lead and then make it into a song, let him/her play lead for that song.
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him

LOL Sig'd
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
DOUBLE SIG THATS EPIC

To Seanula:

Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
..make that triple sig!
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by synth002
..make that triple sig!

Make that quadruple...as soon as I get off my lazy ass and put it on there
Quote by insideac
No you fool, im saying, why cant both of you, BE BOTH ? As in, you play lead sometimes, rhythm sometimes, and switch off with him? Its more fun like that for both players, no one feels bad for not being able to solo, and you both get center stage as guitar players.

No Alonso i think that you have to be careful with that, the one that is better at rhythm can keep beats, is more skilled with chords should be rhyhm guitarist.
The one that is good at improv. and soloing should be lead guitarist.

IMO the rhythm guitarist is more important that the lead guitarist, hey but that's just my honest opinion.
Looking for a new sig!
Its easy, dont differentiate between lead and rhythm. The songs Im playing in my band now dont have solos, whether theyre covers or originals. So you could go to that extent, or you could judge each guitarists commitment to the band, if its equal, they get equal solos. If one guitarist is slacking off (missing sessions, not learning songs) then they get less interesting parts.
As the angel kisses me once again
You scream poison as you glare
Your bow and arrow by your side
As if you cared

It's a mour......astral congregation
Theodore mage's way sounds kinda interesting, although it reminds me a bit of school.
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by samerika
No Alonso i think that you have to be careful with that, the one that is better at rhythm can keep beats, is more skilled with chords should be rhyhm guitarist.
The one that is good at improv. and soloing should be lead guitarist.

IMO the rhythm guitarist is more important that the lead guitarist, hey but that's just my honest opinion.

The lead guitarist should be just as good, if not better, at keeping time, because solos shouldn't be off-time either, and lead guitarists don't just solo, they play the rhythm parts too.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Just switch whenever. For my band, the other guitarist wants to play rhythm, so that's how it is. But if you can't decide, just switch roles every once and a while.
+1 really funny hahahahaha!
but im not gonna sig

because i play bass lol
well my band was easy.. i wanted to be lead and the other guitarist wanted to be rhythm. problem solved. lol.. best way is to find out who wants to play what role
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I've got a good natural rhythm, good knowledge of rhythm technique and stuff and i'm also the vocalist so i'm mainly the rhythm guitarist of my band...
Whoever's better? I don't understand. In my bands, everyone gets a solo, even the bassist, because dammit, it's high time that someone besides the singer heard the bassist.

I think that everyone who wants one should get a solo. You don't have to have equal technical skill levels to get solos. Look at Iron Maiden for god's sake. Or at Metallica. Or... Dragonforce.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
and of course if you both want to be the lead player do it in a way that leaves your ego at the door if the band agree's you wrote the better lead for a certain song it is yours.if the other guitarist style fits better over another song it is his.dont hog the lead spot because you are afraid if you dont that people wont think you are as good.simply put whoever does it best in that song should do it
Quote by IAMIDY
Make that quadruple...as soon as I get off my lazy ass and put it on there

*chuckles*

Pentruple.
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
Quote by Count Seanula

Yeah, good one, but honestly I like bass solos like Cliff Butons (R.I.P.) work for example.
ya,look into a slayer type setup...one guy doesnt have to play all the leads
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
have two leads switch between solos and dont get the ego **** happening just say ur both better than the bassist and play onnnnnn!!!!!
Ok, I think we are going to have me play rhythem because only I can do barre chords. But on some songs with fingerpicking I will do the solos. We will work it out.
Thanks for all the help.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

Why don't you just write two guitar parts, and see who's better at each. Its absolutely ridiculous to start a band out saying "hey you're lead, and I'm rhythm", and then getting this idea in your head, that the lead guy will never play a single chord, and the rhythm guy will never play a solo. Just f*&%ing play.
Page 1 of 2