Alright, so I've been thinking about buying a rack EQ lately to see if it works any wonders on my amp and give it more of the tone I want out of it, since I can't seem to find any decent amps around here that I'd want to buy.

Currently, I'm looking at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/dbx-131-Single-31Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=183525

Are there any others you'd suggest over it?

What do I need in terms of a power conditioner (or do even need one)? What exactly does it do?

Also, is there anything else you guys would suggest I get for the rack? I might consider a newer Sonic Maximizer, but the last time I tried one, it didn't sound much better when an EQ was run with it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 14, 2007,
I can't answer your question cause I have the same one. We have a similar set up and I have a question for you...Do you get a lot of feedback with your pickups and your peavey? I have a terrible ring coming out when my volume gets around 3-5. Does that ISP Decimator cut that out? Thanks!
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser w/ EMG 81-85 Humbuckers
Peavey 6505+
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 4x12 Slant Cab w/Vintage 30's
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
Danelectro Fish N' Chips EQ
i dont feel that an EQ thing would do much for tone in general. an EQ thing like that, in my opinion, is for when you really want to fine tune an existing tone. i would just fiddle with the settings on your amp to get a good one.

another solution is to get a distortion pedal, they are usually able to deliver a wide range of tones/sounds. they are probably much less complicated than that EQ thing too.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
Quote by ThisFireBurns22
I can't answer your question cause I have the same one. We have a similar set up and I have a question for you...Do you get a lot of feedback with your pickups and your peavey? I have a terrible ring coming out when my volume gets around 3-5. Does that ISP Decimator cut that out? Thanks!

Yes, I do, but the Decimator kills it. It's still possible to get it, but it's more of a controlled feedback not a "Oh my god shut that damn thing off before my ears explode" feedback.

Quote by ConstableMurtis
i dont feel that an EQ thing would do much for tone in general. an EQ thing like that, in my opinion, is for when you really want to fine tune an existing tone. i would just fiddle with the settings on your amp to get a good one.

another solution is to get a distortion pedal, they are usually able to deliver a wide range of tones/sounds. they are probably much less complicated than that EQ thing too.

Well, it's not really the "tone" that I dislike, it's more that the sound gets muddy when playing and I want something a little more deffined and figured an EQ might be able to give me that.

I also own a Maxon OD808, it just wouldn't fit in my sig
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
An EQ can, without question, help to shape your tone beyond the stock EQ on the amp, and is never a bad investment.

A power conditioner stabilizes voltage coming from an AC source. Basically anything that's on the same power grid that you are on will affect the precise voltage that the amp gets from the power source, this includes drop offs and surges caused by air conditioning compressors, grandma next door turning her bedroom light off, and the drunk guys down the street having another Halo tournament. With a conditioner, the voltage is significantly more stable, dependent upon how much the power conditioner can handle. It also is never a bad investment.

Personally, I'd rather burn my gear than have a sonic maximizer. While it can make harsher sounds more audibly friendly, it can deplete a good tube amp of some of it's finer nuances.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
An EQ can, without question, help to shape your tone beyond the stock EQ on the amp, and is never a bad investment.

A power conditioner stabilizes voltage coming from an AC source. Basically anything that's on the same power grid that you are on will affect the precise voltage that the amp gets from the power source, this includes drop offs and surges caused by air conditioning compressors, grandma next door turning her bedroom light off, and the drunk guys down the street having another Halo tournament. With a conditioner, the voltage is significantly more stable, dependent upon how much the power conditioner can handle. It also is never a bad investment.

Personally, I'd rather burn my gear than have a sonic maximizer. While it can make harsher sounds more audibly friendly, it can deplete a good tube amp of some of it's finer nuances.

Yeah, I was never really impressed by the Maximizer either.

Are there any specific EQs and conditioners you'd recommend? I'd preferably like to keep the cost of both down to like $300 or so, but I could extend it a bit if it's really worth it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Kendall

Exactly!

But tbh its only useful if you playing pretty crap venues! Their stage power would be the same circuitry as all over the venue, unlike proper venues which would have a specific circuitry for stage.
An EQ might help but i dont think you need a 1/3 octave EQ unless your dead serious about tone shaping. I've used PA systems with EQ's that have had less bands before, 31 jsut seems like overkill for a rack. But like i said, if your serious about it, go for it, but maybe try something like a 10 or a 7 band EQ pedal first, see if you can save your money.
Quote by outerlimit501
An EQ might help but i dont think you need a 1/3 octave EQ unless your dead serious about tone shaping. I've used PA systems with EQ's that have had less bands before, 31 jsut seems like overkill for a rack. But like i said, if your serious about it, go for it, but maybe try something like a 10 or a 7 band EQ pedal first, see if you can save your money.

Yeah, good idea, I'll see if I can head down to a local shop and bring my amp and see if that does anything with a pedal EQ first.

As for a power conditioner, it basically kills like hum on the amp when idolling, etc by keeping everything at the same voltage? Or?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah - as always experiment to and try out different gear. Just a note though that a 31 band EQ will take MONTHS to dial right. A 7 or 10 band EQ will become slightly more manageable in a few hours - so see if you can get good results with one of those first.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
Yeah - as always experiment to and try out different gear. Just a note though that a 31 band EQ will take MONTHS to dial right. A 7 or 10 band EQ will become slightly more manageable in a few hours - so see if you can get good results with one of those first.

Well I've actually used the DBX, my old bass player and I used to record other bands and that's the same one we'd always use. I know pretty much what settings I used to record my amp, but I've never actually used one extensively going through my amp before so I don't know how big of a difference it would make.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Are there any specific EQs and conditioners you'd recommend?

I've seen excellent things happen with the DBX and will probably end up getting one if I ever need that much EQ.

Regarding conditioners, I really hate to admit it but the Monster's are pretty much the best bang for the buck. I'm not a Monster fan, but everyone eventually does something right.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
I've seen excellent things happen with the DBX and will probably end up getting one if I ever need that much EQ.

Regarding conditioners, I really hate to admit it but the Monster's are pretty much the best bang for the buck. I'm not a Monster fan, but everyone eventually does something right.

haha

Thanks for the info, I'll look into them!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The power condition might reduce hum or whatever but I'm pretty sure it's main job is just to prevent power surges and whatever the opposite of a surge is, from ruining your gear. Most rack gear and amps too I guess are pretty sensitive to the power so it's more like insurance in case there is a big surge or something and will stop all your expensive gear ****ting itself.

As for a 31 band EQ ..

I find it fiddly to play with a 10 band. I'd sooner shoot myself than try and dial in perfect tone on 31 bands Lol

I think just go try EQ pedals and see if they do what you want them to.
Parametric EQs are the best some say.

Try to find some used Rane parametric EQs, like a PE-15 or PE-17.