Okay, so I am new to bass. I have been playing guitar for about 3-4 yrs now, and I decided to lend one of my guitars to my gf, while I get to borrow her bass Anyway, is playing with fingers the same as strict alt picking, as in index, middle, index, middle etc. ?

Also, would it mess up my playing if I play bass one day, then guitar, then bass, then guitar etc. or should I just do what I feel like (but bass likely wouldn't be played that much )

pepsi
You finger however you want to. I tend to alternate between:

4 finger for presistant chugging
3 finger alternate for gallopping, string skipping and the like
a weird 2/3 finger technique for everything else.

And I play guitar and bass in the same day and it doesn't mess it all up. You'll be fine.
Like Del said, you do it how you like, but most people, me included just do the standard index middle, and yes it is a strict alternate pick. You can implement the drag (a kind of economy pick) but I don't like to because I picked up really bad habits when I dragged, then I had to work them out, it was a whole ordeal. I always recommend strict index middle.
Most bassist do the index-middle. I use 'the drag' however. I'm not sure how it makes my playing better/worse, it's just something I've been doing from the start. I guess I can move down the strings faster, but to be honest it doesn't really matter that much.
I tend to think of the drag as an asset, as it reduces the amount of energy used to play the same number of notes, thereby improving your endurance.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Drag can seriously get in the way when you start playing superfast stuff. If you use "drags", then you'll have a bit more difficulty co-ordinating your fingers for the faster stuff.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Can someone explain this "drag" I hear so much about? I've heard people talk about it several times, but I still don't know what it is.
Its real name is rake.

Basically, you use one finger to travel down the strings towards the E string.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.