I'm buying an electric guitar and I want a great guitar. So, should I buy an Ibanez GRG170DX OR an Epiphone E-400 SG???

by the way I dont have either.

Thank-You for answering!!!
Last edited by guitar_guru93 at Sep 14, 2007,
well obviously as a beginner, either one will start out as "teh pWnage" and end up being "teh sUck"
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Haha that was entertaining.

I want a very good one...

Dude what type of music do you play?

Maybe get soem used stuff.
I have the ibanez, and i was actually tossing up between the epiphone one (among others_. And obviously chose the ibanez, understand its not a great guitar, but it was better than some of the more expensive guitars I tried when buying mine. If you have more money use it though, unfortunately I'm still stuck with the grg170dx, and as much as its not bad, it still leaves me wanting me.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
which one do you like the most?
which one plays better?
which one sounds better?

get that one!
Quote by powerage225
well obviously as a beginner, either one will start out as "teh pWnage" and end up being "teh sUck"

not true. I started out on electric with a G-400, its still a real nice guitar, i've had it for about 3 years.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The G-400 is a great starter guitar, a lot better than the Ibby. Just swap the pickups and you got yourself a amateur gig-able axe.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by Blompcube
not true. I started out on electric with a G-400, its still a real nice guitar, i've had it for about 3 years.

I started out with a G400 and gave it away after less than a year.

To each their own .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by fatboythin
The G-400 is a great starter guitar, a lot better than the Ibby. Just swap the pickups and you got yourself a amateur gig-able axe.

Yeah. Its made a lot better then the Ibanez too. just be sure to play a few of the Epiphones, as you will find some are pretty good and others are dogs.
They're actually both very competent guitars that react VERY well to pickup changes. I've upgraded the pups in my GRG170DX and the tone is very impressive. You would'nt think it was a guitar that I picked up for £100, that's for sure.

The G400 is probably a better bet though as you don't have to worry about the tremolo dying on you over time. Unless you intend on playing alot of metal where you may need the extra two frets.

The cons of the Ibanez are that the pickups aren't much cop and the tremolo CAN be bad. The cons of the Epiphone are that it's neck heavy and the pickups aren't much cop either.

That said, they're both great starting guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I'd get the G-400, but isn't the Ibanez alot cheaper?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I have the ibanez and its pretty good. its basically an ibanez rg series (hence grg with inferior pickups bridge and tuners + a lack of a quality check, so i you put newpickups on it, it will sound really good.
Quote by fatboythin

I know u might think this is funny but i hav no clue about whan the ''Pickups'' are.
Do you mean the input to the AMP & Electric

Please reply again so i know wat u mean!!!
Quote by guitar_guru93
I know u might think this is funny but i hav no clue about whan the ''Pickups'' are.
Do you mean the input to the AMP & Electric

Please reply again so i know wat u mean!!!

Pickups are the magnetic "microphones" on electric guitars. If you don't know what they are, you shouldn't worry about swapping them for a while yet.
Quote by kyrreca
Pickups are the magnetic "microphones" on electric guitars. If you don't know what they are, you shouldn't worry about swapping them for a while yet.

Thanx!!!
Go for the 170dx, you wont regret it! Great starter guitar, nice thin neck, plays pretty damn well for a £100 guitar!
Bring back Tabo
Again, I'd like to reitterate how good the GRG170DX is with a few upgrades. It's my main gigging guitars and it's not like I'm some sort of guitar "newb". I use good guitars only and I love my GRG. Some handwound pups did it the world of good.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay