Alright, the kind of tone I'm looking for is that of Opeth's (think "Deliverance"). I have perfect knowledge about all the gear that they use; I, unfortunately, cannot afford those damn expensive Laneys and Mesas. So I figured I might try getting a pedal that replicates their tone. Along with that I wanna change my bridge pickup. My current set-up is very poor: A PRS SE Singlecut (HH, mahogany body/neck with rosewood fingerboard), a Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie II and a Roland Cube 30.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Damage Control Solid Metal Dual Tube distortion pedal; I've read in many reviews that it sounds a lot like a Mesa. Therefore I'm assuming that it might be able to get me close to my desired tone. As for the pickup, I think the one I'm looking for is going to have ceramic magents, has to be very hot and crunchy, responsive to picking dynamics, and the pinch harmonics should sound awesome. A friend of mine suggested the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom; I've been looking at the DiMarzio Evolution 2 and X2N. I've also seen this weird pickup called the Lace Alumitone or something; not sure whether it's along my specifications but it sure does look cool. Oh and one more thing: though it isn't a necessity, but I'd prefer a pickup that has the pole pieces exposed on one side, and hidden on the other side, kinda like the ones you see in Les Paul guitars. I don't know what they're called, but they come in those metallic/chrome/gold covers. Those pickups look kinda "grand", and on my cheap PRS, I think a gold-covered pickup would look nice with the maple top.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
whenever u say deliverance it reminds me of the banjo solo from the movie haha

buy a banjo
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
^ Talk about going OT. Isn't there anyone who could offer me some real help?
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Gaah! As much as I hate doing this, but
BUMP!!!
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Those pickups don't have the pole pieces exposed on one side and not on another, they just have a chrome cover over them. Just so you know.

Anyways, how much are you looking to spend on this venture?
I'd just keep hold of the cash and start saving for a better amp to be honest.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is probably right, although a line 6 uber pedal is nice for heavier distortion. I on the other hand like my PODXT live pedal for just about anything now. It does a Rectifier sound pretty well.
I know it'd be better to save up the money in the hopes of buying a better amp in the future, but it's gonna take me like a year to get hold of that kinda money. I thought about it, and I guess I really don't have an option atm. And what about the pickup? My stock bridge pickup is okay but very loose-sounding. Oh and can I put those covers on any humbucker? I'm willing to spend $350+ overall.
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Someone atleast help me out with the pickup? (I know bumping's against the rule; but I'm in a really desperate situation, sorry )
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Surprisingly, my B.C.'s stock pups give a good opeth sound, at least when hooked in with the Dan-o fab tone.

but i do think that Mikael uses Dimarzio. i *think*. he's endorsed by Paul Reed Smith, so look up what pups they have.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Nope, he uses SD Full Shreds.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Oh god! I know that! That's why I'm inquiring about the pedal!
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
i'd get the alumitone, i'm getting one put in my guitar when i get the money, and it's supposed to be good with heavier distortion so that's a plus
^But have you even tried it? How can you know it will be good when you don't even have one?

TS: Save up, to me it's silly to throw pedals in front of a practice amp when that money could go towards a new amp that will sound the way you want.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
right I have a cube 30 too and mine has a mesa recto amp model on it which gives you a good deal of gain you tried that out?
Quote by atthedrive-thru
i'd get the alumitone, i'm getting one put in my guitar when i get the money, and it's supposed to be good with heavier distortion so that's a plus

Why the hell did you bump this? It was a year ago!
Cam Sampbell's my hero