Hey all,

I'm basically interested in getting myself a guitar synthesiser for use on some new material I've written and in live situations.

What I am looking to do is to play for example, a chord using a synth effect. I then need the synthesiser to be able to hold that sound so I can switch back to my normal guitars sound and play over the top of the held synth sound. For example, say I played a C Maj chord through the synthesiser with some kind of strings effect, I need it to be able to hold the sound whilst allowing me to play over the top of it with my normal guitars sound.

Is this possible? Hope you all understand what I'm after.

Check out this video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI2IbpCLmaE

this is roughly what I'm after. Notice at 1 min 12 secs the guitarist plays a chord to produce the synth sound. The sound is then held.

Thanks in advance
The roland guitar synths (GR series) have a hold pedal which allows you a few types of hold (Like hold sound and mute new, for noiseless chord changes, or hold and play normally on top of the held sound, or hold and add consequent notes to the held sound - not really sure on all of them, yet to look into it). Then it's just a matter of nimble fingers (or feet) to pull off what you're trying to do.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
The roland guitar synths (GR series) have a hold pedal which allows you a few types of hold (Like hold sound and mute new, for noiseless chord changes, or hold and play normally on top of the held sound, or hold and add consequent notes to the held sound - not really sure on all of them, yet to look into it). Then it's just a matter of nimble fingers (or feet) to pull off what you're trying to do.

Excellant, thanks for the help. Do you consider Roland to produce the best synths? What other makes are there?
Roland is the only maker of guitar synths atm. If you want something cool, check out a used G-707 by Roland that includes the Roland G-700 synth. That should be perfect for this. In fact, it almost looks like Dave (I get the two confused, but it is Dave right lol?) mounted the electronics of one in his (The control setup matches the G-707). It should be perfect for this, as well as Turbo-era Judas Priest and most stuff by Orgy if you ever feel the need to play around with that. they run around $700 (I swear I'm not pulling this out of my ass...) on ebay.
Quote by CJRocker
Roland is the only maker of guitar synths atm. If you want something cool, check out a used G-707 by Roland that includes the Roland G-700 synth. That should be perfect for this. In fact, it almost looks like Dave (I get the two confused, but it is Dave right lol?) mounted the electronics of one in his (The control setup matches the G-707). It should be perfect for this, as well as Turbo-era Judas Priest and most stuff by Orgy if you ever feel the need to play around with that. they run around $700 (I swear I'm not pulling this out of my ass...) on ebay.

Awesome, thanks for the help. Actually, your wrong, its Adrian, not Dave Yes, the actual guitar Adrian is playing there was custom built by Jackson specially to accomadate the synth electronics.
These G700 systems, don't they need a special guitar controller? Or is it as simple as say attaching a GK3 synth pickup to a guitar?

EDIT - Ah I see, thats what the G707 is for. Hmmm, I'd rather use my own guitar with my own pickups in it.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Sep 14, 2007,