Hey guys, I'm studying right now for a test, and I would like to ask some things about graphing and the like, 'cause I don't understand the concepts too well;
1. What is the vertical line test?
2. What is the Y-intercept and X-intercept?
3. There's this thing about looking at an equation and being able to tell if the equation is a function (linear, quadratic, cubic, etc.) or not by looking at which terms are squared, can anyone explain it to me?
4. When does an equation end up being graphed as a parabola?

that's pretty much it for now, thanks for any future replies.

*edited
Quote by Zeppelin08
I busted a nut because my g-string was too tight.

Quote by rexreeper99
Hendrix. he played jazz right? lol. im real bad with names.

i guess jazz could work

add me up http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cactus/
Last edited by cactus at Sep 14, 2007,
1. Dont know, probably something thats only studied in whatever country your from
2. the y intercept is anywhere where the line goes through the y axis (that line going up and down). Its the same with the x intercept, anywhere on that line going from left to right.
3. reword your question, that makes almost no sense
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Dude, you can talk about a lot of things in the pit, from sex to your aunties cat....

But you can NEVER talk about maths or school work!!!
well the vertical line test, is when you draw a straight line through the function. If the line that you drew intersects the function at any place more than once, it failed the test. I think that was how it went.
1. What is the vertical line test? - if y = constant
2. What is the Y-intercept and X-intercept? - y int = when x=0, x int = when y = 0
3. There's this thing about looking at an equation and being able to tell if the equation is a function (linear, quadratic, cubic, etc.) or not by looking at which terms are squared, can anyone explain it to me? - erm.. what?
4. When does an equation end up being graphed as a parabola? - When y = something with x squared
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Quote by FNAFJ
2. What is the Y-intercept and X-intercept? - y int = when x=0, x int = when y = 0
programmer?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by cactus
Hey guys, I'm studying right now for a test, and I would like to ask some things about graphing and the like, 'cause I don't understand the concepts too well;
1. What is the vertical line test?
2. What is the Y-intercept and X-intercept?
3. There's this thing about looking at an equation and being able to tell if the equation is a function (linear, quadratic, cubic, etc.) or not by looking at which terms are squared, can anyone explain it to me?
4. When does an equation end up being graphed as a parabola?

that's pretty much it for now, thanks for any future replies.

*edited

1. Tests whether or not a graph is a function - if a vertical line cuts more than once in any place it is not a function as one x value can be assigned multiple y values.
2. Y-intercept - where the graph cuts/touches the y axis, when x=0.
X-intercept is where the graph touches/cuts the x axis, when y=0.
3. Linear y=x
Quadratic y=x^2
Cubic y=x^3 etc.
You look at the x term with the highest power (the term is called the leading term; the power is called the degree)
E.g. y=x^3 + 2x - 7x^4 is a quartic equantion
5. When x has a square term and y does not, or when y has a square term and x does not. E.g. x^2 + x +y -3 =0 is a parabola (concave down) and y^2 + x = y is a parabola (going to the right). It is not a parabola if BOTH are squared (it is a circle or ellipse)
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
so wait in reference to the the formula y = mx + b; "y" is equal to "b" since I equated "x" to zero?
Quote by Zeppelin08
I busted a nut because my g-string was too tight.

Quote by rexreeper99
Hendrix. he played jazz right? lol. im real bad with names.

i guess jazz could work

add me up http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cactus/
Last edited by cactus at Sep 14, 2007,
Yes, b is the y-intercept.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.