Hey guys

On ebay, found a set of 2 pickups from a MIM Stratocaster. Ended up buying them for $25AU.

Ive got a Squier strat, never really done any modding to it, but i decided to stick em in there to see how it would sound. If you ask me it really improved the sound of the Squier, it sounds much better than it used to.

Though there was ofcourse the dreaded hum. Tonight i decided id try to shield it, this is how it is turning out.

My squier isnt an ordinary squier, its a 20th anniversary edition, made in china.

I never knew what it was made out of until tonight. I scraped away some of the poly in the output jack and sure enough its solid wood.

Anyway, to shield it im not using regular foil, im using foil from a baking tray made of aluminium. It's much more dense than foil, and doesnt crinkle or tear.

Its working great so far =]

EDIT: Finished shielding, this is just before i put it all together. I also made a change to the wiring, so all the ground goes to the parts on the pickguard through the foil, and the only wire running to it from the body is the hot lead.

Inside the body the bridge and ground wire connect to a lead on a crimp lug, screwed into the guitar. Thats what connects the ground to the shielding
Last edited by Dark_Merlin at Sep 14, 2007,
The takeaway tray is a brilliant idea. Did it actually start out as dinner?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Question-How did you cut it? is it just fitted in there or did you glue it in/stick it down? im planning on doing this tonight now that i understand how to do it. thanks much.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Hey, I did the pickguard aswell, with regular foil. The whole cavity is now shielded with tabs that come out to ground to the pickguard.

To cut it, i just used a pair of scissors, use an old pair though because its probably not good for the blades. To stick it to the cavity I used extremely thin double sided sticky tape, but you can use contact cement or spray glue. To get the shape right i got a piece of paper and made a 'template' to make the whole process easier.

I'll be putting everything together later to see if it worked
ok let me know because teh combination of a squier and a **** marshall cough cough is not very good. which is why i use my LP a lot but id like to use my Squier
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
Quote by Invader Jim
Umm... Aluminum foil doesn't do anything to shield a guitar. Just so ya know.

Sorry but, thats completely, utterly wrong.

When the foil (conductive metal) is done like this you attach the ground wire. This makes it act as a signal shield, blocking out interference that single coil suffer madly from, which gets rid of most/all of the hum.

-------------------------------

I've actually finished now, it works great! Theres NO hum, at all! It really makes the squier sound better. If you haven't done this to your guitar i really recommend it, its not that hard.
Home Depot/Lowes aluminum duct tape works very well too. Plus the fact that its sticky makes it alot easier to work with.
Quote by Jason43
Home Depot/Lowes aluminum duct tape works very well too. Plus the fact that its sticky makes it alot easier to work with.

I inherited a roll of self adhesive alumium foil of my father who was a plumber. It works extremely well and is easy to handle. You should be able to get that stuff from people who work with heating- and hot water devices.
I love the diner tray trick though. It's a really beautifull and effective piece of junk yard engineering.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
I inherited a roll of self adhesive alumium foil of my father who was a plumber. It works extremely well and is easy to handle. You should be able to get that stuff from people who work with heating- and hot water devices.
I love the diner tray trick though. It's a really beautifull and effective piece of junk yard engineering.

Plumbing supplies, brilliant. I totally had not even thought of that. Adhesive copper tape is a bastard to get in electronics supplies, I should have been looking at plumbing suppliers.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Plumbing supplies, brilliant. I totally had not even thought of that. Adhesive copper tape is a bastard to get in electronics supplies, I should have been looking at plumbing suppliers.

The only thing you need to make sure of when using tape is that the new piece you lay down actually makes a metal on metal connection with the previous piece since the adhesive backing doesn't conduct electricity. A voltmeter comes in handy here.
so did this ever work? how did you foil the pickguard? just asked mom for these trays and shes gonna get me some tomorrow
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
Yes this worked great! As i said, i cant rear the hum anymore... even if it is there its not noticeable.

I actually was going to use aluminium or copper tape to begin with, but i couldnt find it in any stores (tried almost everywhere)

To foil the pickguard i just used regular foil
okay i read what you did... could you pm me with step by step instructions cause my strat is doing this as well.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Quote by SchecterFreak
okay i read what you did... could you pm me with step by step instructions cause my strat is doing this as well.

Just google it. Theres several how-to's out there.
The white covers that go on them don't fit into the pickguard, so i had to put them in without them.
Wouldn't be a better idea to modify the pick guard instead? The plastic pickup covers are very usefull in preventing dirt and debris from coming into contact with the coils. Any small iron part coming loose inside or coming near from the outside (think of a breaking string) is bound to end up short circuiting the pickup now. Enlarging the slots in the pick guard should not be too difficult for someone who turns dinner trays into guitarparts.