So i was watching southpark the other night, and the main story in the episode was of illegally downloading music. I know that southpark is meant for comical intentions, but it does offer alot of insight into current issues aswell. Anyway, at the end they came to the revelation that, bands should be able to create enough money by touring an playing gigs and such as to supprot themselves financially, and it got me thinking. Nearly all good bands are outspokenly against illegally downloading music because it is like stealing money from the bands. However, 99% of bands would also claim that they play music for themselves and not for the money and would never "sell out", so why does it bother them so much that people do download their music for free. It has the advantages of people who may not usually buy their CD's becoming a fan, and threefore probably going to their gigs, asell as letting more people enjoying their music, which as I said before is the reason most bands claim they play music.
I would just like to point out that I am on neither side of thes argument and simply want to hear other peoles views on the issue. Also not sure if theis is the correct place to put this thread, but couldnt see anywere else.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Because the music they write is theirs. They can do with it as they please. It's not ours to pirate off the intraweb and steal from them. They don't have to EVER perform or make CDs. They do, and it gets pirated. I'm not against pirating or anything, but that's how I see it.
XBL Gamertag: SealCubs
Yes, most bands do claim that the do it "all for the music"etc. In most cases this is true, but these same bands all are human too, thus they want money. No matter how much they love their music theres a part in most everyone that wants to get more stinkin' rich than they are already.
I believe bands don't earn much from their CD sales anyway, so stealing the music isn't really affecting the bands but their respective record companies
Actually, unless a band is super big... touring usually costs them money. They quite often don't make enough in ticket and merch sales to cover the costs of travel and renting out venues.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
From where Im from, an album from the US can cost up to 200 MYR. Dollar to dollar thats pretty f-in expensive. so yeah, a whole lot of people still download and give in to piracy.. Unless if i think it is really really worth my money, i will buy it original..
when i'm first getting into a band i will download a few of their songs and if i like them then i go out and buy a couple of albums and such
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
If I like a band then I'll download as much of their stuff as I can get my hands on, then go and see them live and buy their merch. Bands make f*ck all from CD sales and get the majority of their revenue from ticket and merch sales.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Don't the CD sales go towards the record label, which in turn pay for their tour?

Even if not, I'm still going to pay for it, it's still stealing no matter how you look at it.
Quote by Malakian=God
So i was watching southpark the other night, and the main story in the episode was of illegally downloading music. I know that southpark is meant for comical intentions, but it does offer alot of insight into current issues aswell. Anyway, at the end they came to the revelation that, bands should be able to create enough money by touring an playing gigs and such as to supprot themselves financially, and it got me thinking. Nearly all good bands are outspokenly against illegally downloading music because it is like stealing money from the bands. However, 99% of bands would also claim that they play music for themselves and not for the money and would never "sell out", so why does it bother them so much that people do download their music for free. It has the advantages of people who may not usually buy their CD's becoming a fan, and threefore probably going to their gigs, asell as letting more people enjoying their music, which as I said before is the reason most bands claim they play music.
I would just like to point out that I am on neither side of thes argument and simply want to hear other peoles views on the issue. Also not sure if theis is the correct place to put this thread, but couldnt see anywere else.

most bands either lose money touring or make a very tiny profit.

Quote by buckethead_jr
Don't the CD sales go towards the record label, which in turn pay for their tour?

Even if not, I'm still going to pay for it, it's still stealing no matter how you look at it.

no. that isnt really how it works.

this isnt directly relevant, but everyone should read http://www.negativland.com/albini.html
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
To a certain extent I do agree with TS, as most bands say they do it for the love of the music but the fact is, no matter how much you love the music, if you know your losing potentially thousands of pounds thats rightfully yours your gonna be pretty p***ed about it!