so im looking to get a 30w all tube amp sometime in the near future, my only worry is that everybody says that tube amps sound sooo much better cranked, and i will not be able to do so when im playing in my bedroom...

soo i was looking at alternatives to solve the problem

1. get an attenuator. can anyone reccomend a good one to get in the uk and what prices im looking at?

2. get a pedal to push the tubes at a lower volume (?? i think thats right) in which case could anyone reccomend a good pedal.

3. biuld an isolation cabnet of some kind (probly not keen to do but thinking about)

anyways i was just wondering what you guys thought was the best solution???
1 is the best way, 3 will work but 2 will only push the preamp tubes, not the power tubes.

Remember with an attenuator you can't attenuate too much or it will sound crap.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
+1
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I have a thought (It probably wont work, and blow up your amp...but il say it anyway) you could use an EQ/Volume pedal between the cab and a head, and adjust the volume accordingly. You would have to have a stack for this...but yeah seems like a cool theory.

But if it didwork, then i guess everyone would be doing it. Which to my knowledge they aren't, so id wait until someone with the know how tells us if its possible.
The best bet for bedroom levels, unless you plan on recording power valve distortion, is just to get yourself a nice overdrive pedal. A nice Tubescreamer or perhaps an OCD or something will give you some great tones at a manageable volume.

My only statement would be only get a 30w valve amp if you are going to be gigging with it. It's a shame to not be able to open an amp like that up haha.

What amp are you getting btw?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Rum Monkey
I have a thought (It probably wont work, and blow up your amp...but il say it anyway) you could use an EQ/Volume pedal between the cab and a head, and adjust the volume accordingly. You would have to have a stack for this...but yeah seems like a cool theory.

But if it didwork, then i guess everyone would be doing it. Which to my knowledge they aren't, so id wait until someone with the know how tells us if its possible.

No, that would destroy the amp, and the pedal. First, a tube amp needs an impedance load or the transformer will fry. Second, a pedal isn't meant to take a high power signal like that, it will fry too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Rum Monkey
My bad

lol, no problem, just don't want someone trying it and wrecking their amp, pedals, or causing a fire.

attenuators work exactly the same way however, they sit between the amp and speakers, and take the extra power and turn it into heat. That way, not all of the power reaches the speakers, but the amp can still be driven hard to saturate the tubes for powertube overdrive. An attenuator is designed to take the high current however, unlike an ordinary volume pedal.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i dont notice any difference when i use an attenuator with my amp, iv tried turning the volume on the amp to full and it still just sounds the same as it does at lower volumes.
iv got a webber for sale in the classifieds somewhere, its probably just over a month old now
Quote by Kurapica
My only statement would be only get a 30w valve amp if you are going to be gigging with it. It's a shame to not be able to open an amp like that up haha.

+1

Get the biggest amp you need, then make do at home. If it's only for home use, then get something smaller.

I'm not a fan of attenuators, as they tend to encourage the user to beat the hell out of his amp. Pushing it harder than he'd likely push it in gigging situations, only because it sounds so cool (and I admit, it can). They certainly have their place in recording or rehearsal, but for home practice either a smaller amp or an OD pedal with the volume low really oughta suffice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Kurapica

What amp are you getting btw?

well there is an outside chance i may be gigging in bout year or so and i dont really want to buy another amp then because i cant gig with the one i get now so im trying to choose between a blues valve junior and maybe a more powerfull laney but it could really be anything till i start trying stuff out.
I use my TS-9 TUBE SCREAMER as an attenuator. I turn my amp loud and adjust the LEVEL control on the TS-9 down to low volumes... works.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Just turn it down - i'll sacrifice practice tone for live tone every time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com