So I'm looking for a decent distortion pedal, one thats gonna give me plently of gain without loss of definition. I have an ESP LTD f-50 and a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt amp and at the moment they get a great sound. I was looking at getting a Line 6 Uber Metal so i could keep the sound i have at the moment, but it is pretty pricey. Any ideas/alternatives? cheers.
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
I'm happy to pay the extra cash if its worth it, as I intend to sell my Spider II and get a larger amp.
Quote by Shylock

DS-1 works for something cheap, but since i know someone with roughly the same setup you have, i'd get the extra money and go with the uber metal. i can say from experience it is awsome.
Ok hang on, why are you getting a pedal so you can keep the sound you have at the moment?

Stay away from pedals with "metal" in the name, with the possible exception of the EHX Metal Muff, which is pretty decent.

However line 6 spiders don't take pedals very well, they also aren't very good amps. You'd be MUCH better off saving for a new amp.

Edit:

Quote by Matty_V
I'm happy to pay the extra cash if its worth it, as I intend to sell my Spider II and get a larger amp.

Didn't see that. In that case, don't get a pedal. Save the money and get a decent amp that can do the distortion you want on its own. High gain pedals sound thin and buzzy compared to decent amp distortion unless you spend a fortune on them.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Ok hang on, why are you getting a pedal so you can keep the sound you have at the moment?

Stay away from pedals with "metal" in the name, with the possible exception of the EHX Metal Muff, which is pretty decent.

However line 6 spiders don't take pedals very well, they also aren't very good amps. You'd be MUCH better off saving for a new amp.

Edit:

Didn't see that. In that case, don't get a pedal. Save the money and get a decent amp that can do the distortion you want on its own. High gain pedals sound thin and buzzy compared to decent amp distortion unless you spend a fortune on them.

I need a pedal because my band is starting to play gigs and to quickly swap between clean and distortion I've had to use my mates shoty excuse of a pedal. I don't know how you can say Line 6 aren't good amps, I've played through $1200 Marshalls and I can honestly say that the only improvment was volume, the Line 6 distortion still beat it.
Quote by Shylock

proco rats are pretty gritty. mine's really gritty. check it out at my junkyard (in my sig).

they add fatness to your tone, so it won't sound thin or dead.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Matty_V
I've played through $1200 Marshalls and I can honestly say that the only improvment was volume, the Line 6 distortion still beat it.

"Line6 distortion still beat it"

o...k... That was one seriously overpriced MG

But it all depends on what amp you get. If you get a decent tube amp, get an OD, and learn to roll back your volume knob.

Or get an amp where you can have a footswitch.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
^maybe he doesn't have the ear yet???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Why not just buy the footswitch for the Spider?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^cuz it makes it more br00taLz!@!@

lol does he get not enough distortion from the amp itself???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^cuz it makes it more br00taLz!@!@

lol does he get not enough distortion from the amp itself???
Haha well technically speaking the Spider doesn't distort the signal at all, it just models it

Srsly. I was gonna make a post helping you, TS, in this thread. But then you said Spiders are better than $1200 Marshalls. This says to me that it would be pointless trying to help you because you would shoot down any suggestions I make and even if you did buy something, it'd sound rubbish anyway because you don't yet have an ear for tone and you'd probably configure it poorly and run it through the Spider inevitably, ruining any positive input...

TS fails.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^Where I live, a brand new marshall mg halfstack costs exactly 1385.53 american dollars.
I'm not sure about the price in australia but it might be similar. So don't shoot him down just because of that.
^ouch... that sucks... i hope it won't get bad here in the US...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, I play metal through my Traynor YCV 80 2x12 tube amp, and it is a lot better than any SS amp and new cheap tube amps. You just have to save up and get an "ACTUAL" amp, (Not one that is made out of plastic and crappy settings.)

Amps you should buy:
1.Laney LC 15. Just add a Tube-Screamer and you have amazing distortion
2.B-52 AT 60
3.Peavey Classic 30

And, if you still don't want to save up, buy an EH Metal Muff or Rocktron Metal Planet.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?