*tried the search...found some good stuff, but not exactly the answer to my question*

so im pretty new to guitar (about 9 months into learning). like everybody else, i want to learn how to solo (not really concerned with shredding, more into the sped up-bluesy, kinda emotional solos) .

i am cool with the scales that i want to start with (minor pent and blues), so now where do i go?

so...

when soloing, is it just a matter of knowing what all the notes in the scale sound like and putting them together as you go, or is it more memorizing note combos (triplets, etc-kinda like how we memorize chords) and putting THOSE together in different ways according to the chords of the song?
Quote by PatrickBateman
when soloing, is it just a matter of knowing what all the notes in the scale sound like and putting them together as you go, or is it more memorizing note combos (triplets, etc-kinda like how we memorize chords) and putting THOSE together in different ways according to the chords of the song?

It's kind of a combination. It's nice to have some licks up your sleeve, but if you keep repeating the same patterns, it will get boring. Focus on the underlaying harmony (the chords), and try to focus on chord tones in the beginning.
Hey there.
If you know how to play bar chords and the blues scale then you are halfway there its just a matter of knowing what chord is being played. Once you have that then you can improvise with the blues scale on the fretboard at the same location you would play the bar chord(don't just run thru the scale pattern start at different positions in the pattern) the notes repeat themselves after the 12th fret just an octave higher so you can do the high pitch bends there aswell. If you play along with some basic 3 chord rock and do this you will be able to hear what works or not for a certain chord.
As Kyrreca said this will probably get boring after awhile but by then you will have improved your skill and can start integrating different scales into the mix the big thing is IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE......Once you hear it in your head try having it come out your fingers.
hope this helps.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09