If I am playing on a specific mode for example Dorian, does it mean that the root note is the first note of the mode?

Or does the root note remain the first note of the basic mode (Aeolian or Ionian)?
I do ask you this, because every time I play a mode the root note sounds to me the same.

Thanks
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
If you're in D Dorian, using the notes of C Ionian (so D E F G A B C), D is your root, not C.
Quote by blue_strat
If you're in D Dorian, using the notes of C Ionian (so D E F G A B C), D is your root, not C.

Ok, but if you play the Dorian accending and descending and want to end with a chord would you end it with the first note of the mode chord?
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

Quote by SdKfz
Ok, but if you play the Dorian accending and descending and want to end with a chord would you end it with the first note of the mode chord?

Yes.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
Yes.

Alright I got it
I printed a book ''Total Guitar - The ultimate scale book'' and studied it for sometime.

So the ''major'' and ''minor'' scales are just two modes, ha?
But the whole modal theory is based on the Ionian mode, is that right?
And the F#-Aeolian mode has exactly the same notes with the G#-Locrian mode right?

Thanks.

Yes, Ionian and Aeolian. And they have the same relationships as relative major and minor (C major is the relative major of A minor; E minor is the relative minor of G major, etc).

Indeed. Most people just call it the major scale, though.

Yes. And the same notes as A major, B Dorian, C# Phrygian ...
Quote by SdKfz
Alright I got it
I printed a book ''Total Guitar - The ultimate scale book'' and studied it for sometime.

So the ''major'' and ''minor'' scales are just two modes, ha?
But the whole modal theory is based on the Ionian mode, is that right?
And the F#-Aeolian mode has exactly the same notes with the G#-Locrian mode right?

Thanks.

There is Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor modes too, but that's advanced.
First take care of major scale modes

And to other 2 questions: Yes.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Last edited by DarTHie at Sep 14, 2007,
I wouldn't say Harmonic and Melodic Minor modes are any more advanced, it's just more scales to learn and use. But I agree that you should start with major scale modes.

Try not to think of a mode as a major scale started on a different note, I find this to be just useless information when actually using the mode. It's all about the unique intervals that make up eack mode that give them their unique flavour.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Theory question now: If a solo is all written in the minor scale, but only one note is a b2nd, is this enough to say that the composer switched to a Locrian mode (or any other mode with a b2nd) ?

Do you guys now any classical music songs in modes other than Aeolian and Ionian (or ''moll'' and ''dur'')?

Thanks again guys

No, it would be considered an 'accidental'.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
No, it would be considered an 'accidental'.

So at least 5 or 6 of the 7 notes of a mode must appear, to call it ''mode name''
Ok.
Do you know any classical songs with modes other than Aeolian or Ionian?
Don't tell me Pagannini, because the guys uses all 12 notes!

Quote by SdKfz
So at least 5 or 6 of the 7 notes of a mode must appear, to call it ''mode name''
Ok.
Do you know any classical songs with modes other than Aeolian or Ionian?
Don't tell me Pagannini, because the guys uses all 12 notes!

It's not that clear cut, you're looking at it too closely.

Theory isn't a roadmap to tell you what to play, it's more a reference so you can describe what you have played. You don't need to count the percentage of notes from a certain scale that appear, you just use your ears. The overall tonality will usually be fairly obvious, and any notes that fall outside the scale will be conspicuous enough. Now, a single note in a certain scale played over a specific chord may also fit with a different tonality, however more often than not the composer won't initially have thought "I'll put this note here because that makes it Locrian", they just put that note in because it sounds good and it just so happens that that particular note over that particular chord will cause the piece to briefly flirt with the Locrian mode.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes I understand, it was a pure theory question.
I have already learned the harmonic minor and melodic minor scale. Although it's said that the melodic fits ok for jazz, I think the Dorian is quite interesting for jazz runs too...who knows?