Hey Fellas,

Im studying theology at college and we are writing a piece of work on a religious topic.

My topic is Religious Signs in music and just general religious reference.

I was just wondering if we could share some ideas with each other about different songs I could possible talk about. I am focusing on modern pop music. For example, the religious reference in Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah"

Share your artists/songs

Thanks In Advance

Klugzy
U2 has a lot of religious references in their songs. Their album 'October' being called a somewhat religious album by some, although a lot of other songs by them refer to religious stuff. For example Until The End Of The World is a reference to Judas.
There are modern Christian rock bands like Delirious?, Quench and Linchpin over here. Lots come to the Greenbelt festival in Cheltenham.

Matt Belamy from Muse is an atheist, I think. So his religion influences his lyrics.
Kanye West - Jesus Walks. (Rap)

Not exactly guitar music, but religion seems to pop up pretty often in his lyrics.
Jesus Walks, thats an interesting one...

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

I am more interested in famous pop bands like U2( as stated above) rather then just Christian bands. As I sayed above, im more interested in famous songs rather then bands.

What about "Losing my religion"? I think that might be a good one
What if God was one of us?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
The band Live . . . well, they're hippies, to be frank. They sing about God, but they don't believe in God as a specific church or faith would; mostly they just see God in the world around them. They've got a couple of songs that might be worth checking out:

Selling the Drama
Lightning Crashes
Heaven
Where Fishes Go
Overcome
Lakini's Juice

They're one of my favorite bands, and their lyrics are very intriguing. A couple of those songs were pretty significant radio hits about ten years back, so hopefully they meet your popular music qualification.
Lots of Bob Dylan stuff has clear biblical connotations.

www.songmeanings.net is good for looking for song meanings and finding out what references in songs are about.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
look at some beatles music, as well as solo stuff by the members, relevant to your topic, and very popular/influencial with people
Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin have religious references, me thinks. Go to songmeanings and look that up. There are many other known bands with religious references, i just can't think of them now.

EDIT: Check out Leonard Cohen. He originally wrote 'Hallelujah' and has many religious references in his songs. For example, in the song 'The Future' - 'I'm the little jew who wrote the Bible'.
It's gonna be a blue day
Last edited by perry589 at Sep 14, 2007,
Quote by blue_strat

Matt Belamy from Muse is an atheist, I think. So his religion influences his lyrics.

Lol, so he has no religion to influence him...
Atheism can be classed as a religion, as it holds a specific view as to what God is (ie, non-existent), as opposed to someone who has no religion and just doesn't care.

Also, Black Eyed Peas - Where is the Love?.
Jesus- Brand New has alot of religious themes(not just the name)
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown