a few days ago me and my friends decided to create a band with all of us. we're metal/rock and we consider Underoath as our main influence. and i was hired as screamer. my friends told me i needed a little work on my screams so what tips does the pit have and please be as specific as possible.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

stop being lazy. lulz. im hilarious.

but srsly, go hurr and read through it because im sure it's been asked before. the peeps there should be able to help.
BIIGFTJ?
(Jack) why teh fuck do people still have rottweilers/pit bulls?
(Lucy) why the fuck not?
(Jack) because they have a strange tendency to EAT YOUR CHILDREN
Quote by BumOffBarney
stop being lazy. lulz. im hilarious.

but srsly, go hurr and read through it because im sure it's been asked before. the peeps there should be able to help.

You haven't read the thread eh?
They say at the beginning they won't be giving advice on sreaming/grunting because if you do it wrong for one hour or so your voice will be doomed forever.
I posted this thread once..
first time I felth how it was te get flamed

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

The main trick is too keep it loose. Most people tend to tense up and close their throat to get that rpaspy sound, this is wrong and will destroy your vocal chords. If you want to avoid permanent vocal damage follow these steps:
-Expect a few sore throats.....but be VERY careful not to go too far!
-Warm up beforehand!!!! Start singing some scales softly and gradually increase the volume until your voice starts to peak and break up. No louder!
-The power of a scream comes from control and not volume. Keep your voice in check and if you start to hurt and lose your voice you're doing it wrong.
-I find there is a certain place in my throat that I can get a scream sound without pain. I believe that's using the false vocal chords. I find the easiest way to figure out how to use them is to make a loud "eeeee" sound.....It should feel like it's coming from a very high place in your throat.
-Too quiet will sound bad and hurt you, and too loud will kill your voice. Find a good balance.
a) open mouth
b) draw breath
c) scream as hard as you can at the desired pitch

Tips: Smoke as much fags, and drink as much whiskey, as is humanly possible, thus screwing your throat up beyond all recognition. = Better harsh sound
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Line your mic with a distortion pedal.

Seriously though,you need to relax..the first few times would be painful. Alot of warm ups.
Quote by slapfunk_101
The main trick is too keep it loose. Most people tend to tense up and close their throat to get that rpaspy sound, this is wrong and will destroy your vocal chords. If you want to avoid permanent vocal damage follow these steps:
-Expect a few sore throats.....but be VERY careful not to go too far!
-Warm up beforehand!!!! Start singing some scales softly and gradually increase the volume until your voice starts to peak and break up. No louder!
-The power of a scream comes from control and not volume. Keep your voice in check and if you start to hurt and lose your voice you're doing it wrong.
-I find there is a certain place in my throat that I can get a scream sound without pain. I believe that's using the false vocal chords. I find the easiest way to figure out how to use them is to make a loud "eeeee" sound.....It should feel like it's coming from a very high place in your throat.
-Too quiet will sound bad and hurt you, and too loud will kill your voice. Find a good balance.

thanks for the tips

Quote by Scarlatti
You haven't read the thread eh?
They say at the beginning they won't be giving advice on sreaming/grunting because if you do it wrong for one hour or so your voice will be doomed forever.

i read it. it didnt help at all
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

1) dont drink milk/eat dairy they produce flem which is a no no for any types of vocals
2) hot foods like peppers, spicy things, actually warm up and stimulate your vocal chords (they're good for your voice not bad)
3) do scales, warm up before you start to practice yada yada yada
4) do wisper screams to some of your favorite songs that you already know, then slowly work your way up in volume
5) LEARN WHAT KIND OF SCREAM YOU ARE CAPABLE OF, people's voices are high and low for a reason. decide weather your a high pitch screamer, low growler, pigsquealer or whatever
The most important thing is not to push yourself too much when you practice or it will haunt you for a while.

Also to not be afraid to sound horrible at first, thats a biggie :-p
Quote by jasp0r
Step 1: Breath in
Step 2: Scream
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

you sir, have just outlined my plan for life. ive been stuck at step 3 for so long now