I always thought that because they would need amplification, but I just saw in one of the Nigel Kennedy videos of Vivaldi, that they have a Lute in there. So why there aren't guitars in orchestras?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Vai has done it, but it was also arranged. I know what you mean but I suppose it's because it isn't very Traditional...
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
For many centuries, the guitar was considered an inferior instrument, one that musicians would only play for their amusement, away from the public. So even today, it doesn't feature in classical music orchestras, traditionally.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Opus Acoustic by Harmony Guitars
Ibanez AEF18 Acoustic Electric
Crate GTD15R

Tophue: Every christian song has the chord progression G, Cadd9 somewhere in the song
Phax: The key of Gsus!!! COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT! haha
Quote by Mad Marius
For many centuries, the guitar was considered an inferior instrument, one that musicians would only play for their amusement, away from the public. So even today, it doesn't feature in classical music orchestras, traditionally.

true, and it still is inferior - that's why I play one
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
I don't know about orchestraa that actually have a guitar quartet, if thats what you mean, but check out Metallica - S&M for orchestral metal...
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by horatiogates
Trans-Siberian Orchestra

+1
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Mad Marius

+1 there would be no point writing parts for it especially since the original composer couldn't do it.

and besides guitars as we know them now where a lot different say 400 years ago.

and why would you need them you already have violin, cello, double bass etc.
Just for the record people I'm speaking about classical guitar. I agree with excluding electrical guitars from the orchestras as it's not a very traditional instrument.
But how can they have a lute and not a classical guitar?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Classical guitar is too quiet (lutes aren't part of the standard orchestral instrumentation either), and electric guitars are a long ways from being accepted into the classical repertoire.
The typical instrumentation of a symphonic orchestra something like the following: 2 flutes, 1 piccolo, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 tenor trombones, 1 bass trombone, 1 tuba, timpani, snare drum, bass drum, cymbals

Lutes are definitely the exception rather than the rule.
Quote by urik
Just for the record people I'm speaking about classical guitar. I agree with excluding electrical guitars from the orchestras as it's not a very traditional instrument.
But how can they have a lute and not a classical guitar?

Unless there was some sort of amplification, it would be drowned out by the rest of the orchestra...
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
I call Trans-Siberian Orchestra, if it hasn't already been done.

But otherwise basically electric is too loud, acoustic is generally too soft. Though a kid played acoustic guitar in my primary school orchestra, but there were only about 20 of us then.
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
Quote by AvengedThrice
Unless there was some sort of amplification, it would be drowned out by the rest of the orchestra...

Yeah that's what I thought. But I just saw a lute in an orchestra and I guess that it also would need amplification.
And what's the problem about amplifying a classical guitar?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Amps are definitely not a part of the standard orchestra...
well in the israel symphonic/army band theres a bass guitar.
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Anyways, honestly, the real reason why there are no guitars in the orchestral setup (because you could obviously amplify the sound by having multiple instruments) is because the timber of the guitar doesn't really complement the rest of the orchestra very well. I mean, I've heard Vivaldi's concertos for guitar, and although it works with a small string ensemble and a single guitar placed in front of the mix, the orchestral soundscapes that composers have wanted don't really need the voice of the guitar. It's too weak, and wouldn't hold up well with the string section or the brass section. Also, if composers did ever want to have a small, delicate sound, they'd opt for the celesta or triangle, both of which fit the complementary instrumental timbers better.

So...yeah. That's my "2 cents".
Quote by yawn
Anyways, honestly, the real reason why there are no guitars in the orchestral setup (because you could obviously amplify the sound by having multiple instruments) is because the timber of the guitar doesn't really complement the rest of the orchestra very well. I mean, I've heard Vivaldi's concertos for guitar, and although it works with a small string ensemble and a single guitar placed in front of the mix, the orchestral soundscapes that composers have wanted don't really need the voice of the guitar. It's too weak, and wouldn't hold up well with the string section or the brass section. Also, if composers did ever want to have a small, delicate sound, they'd opt for the celesta or triangle, both of which fit the complementary instrumental timbers better.

So...yeah. That's my "2 cents".

Yeah, apparently bow stringed instruments don't mix well with plucked ones.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Yeah, apparently bow stringed instruments don't mix well with plucked ones.
And when the plucked tone is needed, you have an entire string section for pizzicato. =]
Quote by The Madcap
There is (and I hate that Yngwie Malmsteen video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XM9nA6zUpE

That sounds really good! But it is kind of stealing the show. The rest of the orchestra is just background, sort of.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Because guitar sounds like shit when compared to Saxophones, Flutes, Clarinets, Trombones, etc...you know...GOOD instruments.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Spoony_Bard
That sounds really good! But it is kind of stealing the show. The rest of the orchestra is just background, sort of.
Yeah, but that's how many concierto's are, like Mozart's many Piano Concerts, along with quite a few violin, Lute and Harp concertos.
Yeah, a guitar would just not sound good at all when blended in with the rest of an orchestra. The other instruments really compliment each other but the guitar would just be irritating.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Transiberian Orchestra, symphonic black metal... it happens. It sounds good, end of story.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.