im not really a huge fan of doing this but i was reading an old guitar mag that had an interview with slash and when asked about tapping he said he doesnt do it and he hates to see people rip it off because he thought it was like EVH's personal statement. did EVH invent it or just popularize it? hes the only early person i can think of who did it.

he said he got it from jimmy page who did three note hammer ons in the open position. he said he tried it and then tried moving it up the neck. then he used his right hand to act as the nut, then he switched it so that the index on the left was like the nut and used his right hand to tap notes. i dont know if that means he invented it or if he just stumble across a technique that was already invented. just wondering.
I did!!!!
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Van Halen got the tapping idea from jimmy page's heartbreaker solo because he thought it was fast as hell and liked the sound of it..............so ive heard.
EVH was not, not by a long shot, he only popularized it in rock music.

Country guitarists were using it well before him, but i don't know who invented it.
Van Halen didn't invent it, he just popularized it. Or so i've heard.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Tapping was not an invention, it was a discovery. The guitar was an invention.
Gear:
2007 American Stratocaster (Baby Blue Nitro)
2005 John Mayer Stratocaster (Sunburst)
2003 Godin Flat Five (Flamed Maple)
1967 American Stratocaster (Black Nitro)
1960 American Stratocaster (Olympic White Nitro)
it was probs some random guy in his room somewhere
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
ah so it was emmett chapman or at least thats what wiki says. probably should have looked there first lol.
For example, Steve Hackett from Genesis was using tapping, years before Van Halen (listen to Dancing With The Moonlit Knight or Musical Box).
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Quote by buckethead_jr
EVH was not, not by a long shot, he only popularized it in rock music.

Country guitarists were using it well before him, but i don't know who invented it.

country guitarists seem to do a lot first. i think chet atkins was one of the first to sweep pick and use a primitive wah pedal. but i think sweeping might actually go back further than that.
paganini (18th century violinist and guitarist) used tapping i think
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I bet EVH found Tapping while exploring his guitar and tought "Hmm... this looks cool", So why wouldn't a dude from the 16th century do the same with his lute?
Tapping has probably been around since the first stringed instruments, but Eddie popularised the technic.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
^^ Beat me to it. The origins of tapping are rooted in classical. It's not a common technique, but it's hardly uncommon. I wouldn't like to pin it down to Paganini though, as I'm not entirely sure it was him.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Omni-Ragnarok
I bet EVH found Tapping while exploring his guitar and tought "Hmm... this looks cool", So why wouldn't a dude from the 16th century do the same with his lute?
Tapping has probably been around since the first stringed instruments, but Eddie popularised the technic.

well i doubt someone from the 16th century would think something looked "cool" lol. but you may be right. i dont really know though. i would have thought they were more about melodic songs like how you see classical players play. not really any solos just songs. but who knows.
I had it in my head that Steve Howe of Yes was an early exponent...but i could have been getting him mixed up wth Steve Hackett
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Brian May used tapping on "It's Late" one whole year before Eddie supposedly 'invented' it.
May told Guitarist Magazine in 1982 that he was inspired by an unnamed bar-band guitarist from Texas.

they you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Late
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Quote by Kurapica
^^ Beat me to it. The origins of tapping are rooted in classical. It's not a common technique, but it's hardly uncommon. I wouldn't like to pin it down to Paganini though, as I'm not entirely sure it was him.

Yeah, i agree its classical, but I don't think it was paganini..he was awesome though.

It must be a pretty old technique since its not really that hard to discover. The trill(hammer on) is a very common technique and so is the pizzicato(plucking of the strings). It wouldn't really take a genius to put two and two together and think that the other hand can be used as well.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DoubleDee
pachelbel?

...played and composed for the organ. I think we can safely rule him out.

EDIT: Typo.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
^ chuck norris taught jesus
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by clement1
Van Halen got the tapping idea from jimmy page's heartbreaker solo because he thought it was fast as hell and liked the sound of it..............so ive heard.

I heard that
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ chuck norris taught jesus

/thread
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
well, I was gonna say that I'd imagine it originated with classical guitar or somethin, cuz tons of techniques did, but after looking through the wikipedia article (which obviously few of you did)

"The practice of tapping has existed in some form or another for centuries. Paganini utilized similar techniques on violin. Another similar technique, called selpe, is used in Turkish folk music on the instrument called the bağlama. Tapping techniques and solos on various stringed acoustic instruments such as the Banjo have been documented in early film, records, and performances throughout the early 20th century." ~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping#History

now then THAT is the

/thread
Most of the time techniques like these are not invented, because music has been around for so long, it's impossible to say that this one person did it first, especially for guitar, as guitar borrows so many elements from other instruents, especially violin. Take pinch harmonics for example. They were originally used by violinists to get even higher notes that their violins were normally capable of. I won't immediatley say Paginini, but mostlikeky a violinist "invented" tapping, or something like it.

EDIT: I forgot to include this, but honestly I think EVH's story about 'inventing' it is a load of bull. I had never heard of tapping when I first started on bass, but when is saw that hammerons could be used to achieve long periods of fast notes, and my right hand wasn't doing anything, I said, why not try to hammeron with it to. Keep in mind that I had never heard of tapping before (I was like 12) when I showed it to my teacher, he said that it had already been done, and I wasn't surprised, because I figured if a 12 year old kid could figure out you could dot that, then Someone else had before me.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Sep 25, 2007,
About the origins of where EVH got the idea, he said so himself that it was Ace Frehley that he got the idea from. Instead of using his finger to tap, Ace would use his pick. Atleast, that's what he said in an issue of Guitar World.
in classical music, taapping has existed for years, a lot of people consider tapping a techinique similar to legato, well i think it is true, because you are doing hammer ons with your hand, so theyre right,

and EVH popularized it but it had existed for years