My '76 les paul literally feels like its fretless. The frets are so small, but are perfectly shaped, and have almost no wear. I dont know if you can really get an idea of how tiny they really are from the picture. The guitar has perfect intonation, and the action is so low that if you blow on the string hard enough it will fret, thats an almost serious statement. haha. Other people try to play my guitar, and they get nasty fretbuzz and dead notes, but i never do, i guess its because im used to it? Would this kind of thing actually make you better at playing? I also get alottt of sustain to, it doesnt seem like there are any real down-sides to this, other than if i start getting some fretwear they wont last long...

thats a good thing! too many guitar makers make guitars with ****ing jumbo frets. i cant see the point.

small frets ftw
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
larger frets means there is no contact with the wooden fretboard..meaning it slow you down.... why do you think malmsteen has his frets scalloped ?
Quote by DieKrupps
larger frets means there is no contact with the wooden fretboard..meaning it slow you down.... why do you think malmsteen has his frets scalloped ?

Because Malmsteen is a fucking tool.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by DieKrupps

I can tell you it sure as hell isn't to slow him down...

Scalloped fretboards and to a lesser extent, jumbo frets can provide greater control over string bending and vibrato. Yngwie most likely scalloped his fret board for better control of his customary wide vibrato.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Sep 14, 2007,
The frets on my G&L S-500 are like that. It plays like a dream but I find it harder to get as much vibrato as my other guitars.
Smaller frets are horrid in my opinion. Now i got my Ibanez RG prestige 2620 i actually dislike playing my 1979 strat.
i hate small frets. it seems so hard to bend. you cant grip the string very well imo. also, legato is easier on bigger frets. i got medium jumbo on mine right now but im thinking of going full on jumbo.
I don't mind, my fingers are nimble,
I suppose it could help speed, if the frets are closer together, less traveling....
My opinion though
Quote by AvengedThrice

Yes! I love people mindlessly insulting Malmsteen! Not that that's completely off topic or anything

TS: Personally, I like larger frets, I haven't played a lot of guitars with smaller frets but from what I have, did not enjoy it.
my strat which i've sold off has small frets, and how ever much i play, i just can get the hang of it.

Especially when it comes to bendings, the strings tend to slip off my fingers at the peak of the bend.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I like large frets...

Its all personal preference.

My guitar teacher would love that guitar though.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by AvengedThrice
Whether or not this is true is yet to be determined, but he sure makes some very bad-ass cheese cakes and swedish pizzas.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I prefer bigger frets. I guess it depends on what you're used to and what you play.

My acoustic 12-string has tiny frets and its a nightmare to play.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I love smaller frets, it makes me faster!
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
My '77 deluxe is the same way. I love it, they work perfectly for me for some reason. Much better then jumbo's.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
LP it sounds like you have a perfect neck for me. Don't worry about fret wear. Bigger frets wear out too. If the neck feels that good to you then that's all that counts.
yeah, i feel like i get better after playing this guitar for awile, its hard to bend on, legato is tough. I make it all work though, and ive recorded a few song with it, and everything sounds great, but once i play another guitar, its like, damn this is so easy.
It is the 'fretless wonder' after all. You must have a very light touch to be able to play that one. I know I sure couldn't; I always raise the action as high as it goes on my guitars, or I'll get fretbuzz.
Quote by mr_hankey
It is the 'fretless wonder' after all. You must have a very light touch to be able to play that one. I know I sure couldn't; I always raise the action as high as it goes on my guitars, or I'll get fretbuzz.

dang, sounds like you need a real setup, i dont get the slightest buzz on any of my guitars, except for my washburn because it has some rediculous fretwear and uneven frets.
I don't know, it kind of looks like a time for a refret. Has the guitars frets ever been levelled/crowned in its lifespan? That may explain the lowness/perfect condition of the frets.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
that's nothing, I've played a Lespaul with it's frets almost flat. they don't stop you at all.

actually, I do legato better one flat frets then I do on jumbo.
Back in the 70's there was a trend called "micro-fretting." Basically planing the frets down to nothing. I like low action but that was even too extreme for me.
small frets are for winners. people who play with jumbo frets are clearly compensating for something.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Could be. Or may have just been planed multiple times during maintainance. If I were you I would try to find out as much as possible about the guitar's history. Tracing through multiple owners is difficult at best, but can be emotionally rewarding.
Smaller frets are the way to go. I've yet to see how larger frets can help with anything at all. Even the stuff people usually list as being easier with larger frets, I just don't find it, if anything I find most things harder with larger frets, or just the same.
There's no need to bash one type of frets over another, same goes with strings, they are a matter of perference. I used to not like Gibson medium frets, they felt too squareish, now I like them really good. I can play on most fret sizes, but I like mediums, too low and I can't bend or do legato good, and legato is a HUGE part of my technique, too tall, and they start to hurt my fingers, and I get less of a feel of the neck.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!