Iam new to recording and this is a very basic question.. but i have a guitar and an amp and want to record songs of mine on my computer of just guitar and vocals.. so i was wondering whats the cheapest way to do this? with still getting the sound from the amp? is there a special microphone that can record me singing and guitar playing at once? or do i need 2 mics?
I would recomend you to use 2 mics....If you want to change the eq or something like that in the computer later on...It will also sound a lot better
is there some kind of mic that will pick up everything in the room instead of only stuff an inch in front of it like the one i just bought yesterday?
You shouldn't need two mics because you should be recording one instrument at a time. Do you have firewire? If so I recommend a Mackie Onyx Satellite and a Shure SM57 mic. Satellite comes with good recording software so you should be all set.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

he doesnt have to record them seperatley. some people give a better performance when doing both?

what kind of mic did you just buy? was it a crappy $3 from radio shack that you plug directly into the 1/8 jack on your computer, or did you get a real mic? i'm assuming you bought a crappy one from what you said.

get a sound card, shure sm57 (ebay) and download audacity for free. you dont even have to get a shure though. musicians friend has 40 dollar alternatives. digital reference instrument mics.

then you should be good to go.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
Even if he wants to do them both at the same time, the Satellite will allow him to record the vox onto one track and the guitar onto another - thus allowing him to edit them separately later. Often times you don't want to apply the same effects to your vocals as you would to a guitar track.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.