I wrote this song, well, it's not done yet, but I'd like to get the proper time signatures and stuff. It's in powertab, and if anyone who knows a lot about this could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Notes: Powertab hates me, and I couldn't get some of this stuff to sound quite right, you'll hear where, some things come in too early, and in other places it pauses. Also, some of the time signatures, wrong as they may be, I thought they sounded good, especially the section of 5/16, I know it's wrong, but it sounded good, and in my infinite wisdom, I thought it may have been right.
Attachments:
new song sweeps.zip
Last edited by jimmy388 at Sep 14, 2007,
i'd use 6/8 instead of 3/4 for those parts at the start, as the measures are split into 2, not 3 parts

and hit tools -> score checker
Quote by seljer
i'd use 6/8 instead of 3/4 for those parts at the start, as the measures are split into 2, not 3 parts

and hit tools -> score checker

That's really funny, I had those in 6/8 but decided to go 3/4 for some reason. This score checker thing is crazy, I don't know any theory, or much at all about time signatures, it says things like, measure under by 1/6 and things like that, it's confusing to me, but thanks for your input, I'll change it back to 6/8.

Edit: I brought up the score checker, there are like 60 things "wrong" with my song, or what I have of it so far. Also, any comments on the song are welcome, I realize it's a bit unconventional.
Last edited by jimmy388 at Sep 14, 2007,
Well, it makes sense now. Kind of.... all of those errors, for the most part, are saying that you have measures (bars) that aren't complete. For example, in measure 3 you're missing an eighth note. Sorry man, but it looks like you've got some work to do!
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
It's not telling you the note length that the measure is missing. It's telling you how much of the portion of the the measure is missing.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Quote by jimmy388
Ok, I dont' see how I can be 1/6 short though. That confuses me a lot.

triplets
That too... oy, man. I commend you for trying to write something in odd time, as it can be difficult, but this stuff can take some serious time to understand and get it to work right. Also, don't determine time signatures until you have the riff written out. Figure those out later. That's what I do.

I just realized that a very big portion of my posts lately have been about time signatures...
Quote by Mazzakazza
Quote by seljer
triplets

Aha! Thanks, that makes A LITTLE more sense. I've got a feeling that my time changes aren't that frequent, or in such odd meters now, any other tips?
Quote by utahotc
That too... oy, man. I commend you for trying to write something in odd time, as it can be difficult, but this stuff can take some serious time to understand and get it to work right. Also, don't determine time signatures until you have the riff written out. Figure those out later. That's what I do.

I just realized that a very big portion of my posts lately have been about time signatures...

The funny thing is, I don't try to write in odd time, it just kinda happens that way, I have stuff that's probably worse than this, I just dont' mess with it.
Ok... well, then, spend some time with it and count up the beats in each measure. If it still looks good for you then you may not understand time signatures correctly. Remember, top number is how many beats in the measure, bottom number is the note that gets the beat.
Quote by Mazzakazza
I clearly do not understand time signatures My reasoning (until your explanation) was: I have 7 eight notes in the measure, therefore, it is in 7/8. Seems like concrete reasoning to me, but I guess I'm wrong.
The top number is the number of Beats in the bar, the bottom number is the value of each beat.

The Bottom number has to be divisible by 2 - 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, etc.

For example,

4/4 is four quarter note(crotchets) beats per measure

5/4 is five quarter note beats per measure

12/8 is twelve eighth notes(quavers) per measure

7/8 is seven eighth notes per measure

9/8 is nine eighth notes per measure

You have used some triplets in odd places, and as I dont know what you'r trying to achieve, i cant really tell you what to do effectively.
This should help.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ead.php?t=16336

I was going to link to gpb2016's site www.online-guitar-lesson.com but it seems like it doesn't exist any more. Thats a shame because it had excellent info on time sigs.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums