Page 1 of 2
all these 5 watt class A amps like the valve jnr and valbee and jsx mini if you really crank em up how loud can they get?

thanks in advanced!!!!
Surprisingly loud. I bet a 5 watt class A could hold it's own against a 50 watt SS amp. They make great practice and recording amps.

The only problem is that the speakers are usually only 8" or 10". Thats good enough for the 5 watts the amps cranks out, but it won't be able to keep up with an amp that has a couple of 12" speakers.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
but i just cant imagine one of those tiny things beong loud enough!!! theyre so small!
Then try one!
I recommend the valve junior, i really like the sound of it.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by ShutDown785
Surprisingly loud. I bet a 5 watt class A could hold it's own against a 50 watt SS amp. They make great practice and recording amps.

The only problem is that the speakers are usually only 8" or 10". Thats good enough for the 5 watts the amps cranks out, but it won't be able to keep up with an amp that has a couple of 12" speakers.

The wattage of an amp actually has less to do with volume, hook it up to a cab and it'll still take your head off due to the ammount of airbeing moved

Some 5 watters have 12" speakers but yeah it's more to do with that - it'll hold itself against a 50 watt SS combo with similar speaker, but not drums, as it just won't have the oomph, although if you're miced its fine
i cranked a fender champ the 5 watt valve at Guitar Center and it wasn't that loud... i want to try an epiphone valve jr.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
IMO, it depends on the amp. The champ seems really quiet to me, but the EVJ is plenty loud.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
The 1 watt Z-vex nano is surprisingly loud....just to give you a sort of perspective.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
A 5 watt tube combo is not gig loud, but plenty for the bedroom. 5 watts won't get over the drums (although I wouldn't be ashamed to use one mic'd.)
it'll fill a room (i.e. house-sized room) easily. and will be loud enough for your parents to be pissed off if you crank it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you wanna outdo drums, get a 15W class A. There's alot of power behind tube amps, believe it or not.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826

if you wanna go even louder than 5w.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
in my own experience 5watts WILL get over drums. but not in a gig. for practice in a garage or something it gets loud enough. I've never used a 5w tube amp but i've been forced to use a 10w Stagg amp before when i couldn't bring my own amp, it wasn't up full and still coped with drums fine. he's also a hard hitter

best not take chances though?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^Trade you my Washburn Bad DogR (ss amp) for your Stagg. I'll even throw in a couple of picks.
Quote by philipisabeast
The wattage of an amp actually has less to do with volume, hook it up to a cab and it'll still take your head off due to the ammount of airbeing moved

Some 5 watters have 12" speakers but yeah it's more to do with that - it'll hold itself against a 50 watt SS combo with similar speaker, but not drums, as it just won't have the oomph, although if you're miced its fine

So how about a VJ going through a 2x12?
How loud would that be? Loud enough to play with drums?
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
The main problem with 5 watters getting over drums is that they usually come with a nasty paper disk instead of a decent speaker. If you hook it up to something bigger it will happily keep up, as it it's going to be about 65% as loud as a 30 watt valve amp...which I've never needed to put over half way.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by uldhppi
^Trade you my Washburn Bad DogR (ss amp) for your Stagg. I'll even throw in a couple of picks.

isn't my amp. and it's a really horrible amp, just loud
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
what is a good 5 watt class a? not a palomino tho

I especially like the Epiphone Valve Jr. It depends what you play though.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Don_Humpador
Why not a palomino? Good amps!

i just have had bad expierences with palominos
the last 1 i had burst into flames and almost set my house on fire and i played a few at GC and the broke and i was playin them for like 20 mins so i figure they are ****
Quote by CORT noob
I especially like the Epiphone Valve Jr. It depends what you play though.

i play alot o **** from GnR to pennywise to necrophaigist.
My Champ can be heard on the other end of the street. With my windows closed.
You know, I think you just have a thing against them. I don't think you've ever touched one. There you go. I said it.
I heard the U.S. made ones were better but don't quote me on that.

However I would agree a little with that last time I tried a Palomino it sort of just stopped working....though I may have hit some switch but i'm pretty sure it was the amp crapping out. However I can't actually comment on the sound of the amp cause I wasn't able to try it.

Really want to though, those Palominos look pretty good.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by Don_Humpador
You know, I think you just have a thing against them. I don't think you've ever touched one. There you go. I said it.

no i had a Palomino V32 30W Class-A Tube Combo Amp and it ****ing caught fire.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
i play alot o **** from GnR to pennywise to necrophaigist.

Not sure what necrophaigist is, but It sounds like death metal. I'm pretty sure there isn't a 5 watt amp in existance that will do death metal. The VJ will definately do GnR and Pennywise(ska? right? Haven't heard anything by them in years, can't remember the music) without pedals.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
Not sure what necrophaigist is, but It sounds like death metal. I'm pretty sure there isn't a 5 watt amp in existance that will do death metal. The VJ will definately do GnR and Pennywise(ska? right? Haven't heard anything by them in years, can't remember the music) without pedals.

necrophaigist is Death metal and pennywise is punk and i was looking at the krank rev jr. ive played my friend's and it is ****ing great but i didnt want to spend that much.
not too familiar either, but i think they're t3h br00talz.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CORT noob

I do hear the EVJ takes pedals well, TS could probably get a nice OD or distortion pedal.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
no i had a Palomino V32 30W Class-A Tube Combo Amp and it ****ing caught fire.

Of course.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
I do hear the EVJ takes pedals well, TS could probably get a nice OD or distortion pedal.

That he could.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Don_Humpador
Of course.

i dont know how... my best guess is a short in the wiring or some **** like that.
The palominos that have bad quality are the vietnam ones. If you get a USA made one then I would go for that for sure. Needs od pedal for heavy metal tho.

where could i get a EVJ

Online or at GC they usually have them.
yeah i've got a 40W combo (tube) with a sing 12" and i never need to crank past like 1 for home and 3 or 4 for drums
Page 1 of 2