Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting this amp. I like it because it's a tube amp, and it seems to cover the genres I like to play (blues, classic rock, alt, etc.). I know without even playing the thing that it is too loud for my purposes. I will just be using it in my bedroom. I don't want to lose the tone, but I don't want to blow the windows out of my room either. If I go with a smaller amp, can I still get the same tone out of it?
Does it come in a lower wattage model?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Does it come in a lower wattage model?

yeah, and 30w for bedroom is an overkill.
they have a 15 watt and i think a 5 watt version of that same amp.
ive played it. its pretty nice, even though i personally like the peavey classic 30 better.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

if you are only using it for the bedroom, id go for the 5 watt. if you plan on playing with a band or in front of a big amount of people id go with the 30. if you do end up goin for the the 30, check out a peavey classic 30 also
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i would get the same tone though, right?

EDIT: Just seems strange that I would be spending more on my guitar than my amp this way lol. I mean, a full tube combo amp with a nice overdrive channel for 200 bucks works for me, but it just goes against everything I have been told about the price ratios when it comes to guitars and amps. Is there something I'm missing? Like a great 5-15w amp that would blow this one away?
Last edited by pENTAcUBE at Sep 14, 2007,
Quote by pENTAcUBE

Pretty much, I think.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by pENTAcUBE

EDIT: Just seems strange that I would be spending more on my guitar than my amp this way lol. I mean, a full tube combo amp with a nice overdrive channel for 200 bucks works for me, but it just goes against everything I have been told about the price ratios when it comes to guitars and amps. Is there something I'm missing? Like a great 5-15w amp that would blow this one away?

you have a couple of good options actually

epi valve jr (darker tone, nice and crunchy overdrive)
fender champ (brighter tone, awesome cleans, and a nice light overdrive)

i myself prefer the fender, but the epi is a little cheaper. id recommend either.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Bah! Go for the 30W. I have a 30W with 2 12" speakers and I'm only using it in my bedroom! It's awesome man! and at about vol. level 3 the walls starts to shake

EDIT: I mean 2 12" speakers, not 1.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Sep 14, 2007,
^ well if hes at college or at home (with parents) then he will most likely not get the full potential of the thrity... and hear in michigan people whine when other are too loud...

the champ or valve jr allow to crank with out getting the local authorities called, or the r. a. on his back
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

but i really think the fender champ will do what you want... especially the blues and rock... if by alt you mean stuff like the smashing pumpkins or radiohead, than the champ is also good for that (might need a distortion pedal for some radiohead songs though)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

would the valve junior really be a viable option? It seems like I would lose some quality at that price, not to mention the complete lack of anything but volume control.
depends. i haven't tried that exact model, but i know that models which are supposedly the same, but with a different wattage, rarely sound identical. Especially with that 5 watter, as it's class A, and more than likely only one preamp tube, which means less preamp gain. I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though the 30 watter is louder, you may be able to get more gain out of it at low volumes than the 5 watter, assuming the 30 has more preamp gain available. Don't get me wrong, 5 watts is quieter than 30 no doubt, but it's still too loud for bedroom if you have to crank it to 10 to get the tone you want. While a 30 watt with the volume on 1, will be manageable for bedroom, even if the tone isn't as good as cranked. Plus the 30 means that if you ever do join a band, you're pretty much set.

of course, if you don't need loud, totally pristine cleans, the 15 watt version may be close to the best of both worlds.

it's really up to you, and of course it goes without saying that it's best if you can try them for yourself. Also bear in mind that the amp will sound quieter in the shop than it will in your bedroom.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^

^ make sure to try them all, if at all possible. just in case one sounds better than the others (it can happen!)...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh! one last thing. With tube amps, your supposed to put it on standby for a few minutes before you play them correct? But I don't see a standby switch on the V16?
no standby on the v16. just let it warm up for a minute, youll be fine. i would also recommend trying the valve special man. its 5w like the junior BUT it has a bit more features than the v16. and for about 230, its a steal.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
Is there a site by chance where i could hear the two amps? I ask because I have 2 shops that I can go to, each one carries one of the options, but not the other. And I really would like to be able to hear them pretty close together.
Quote by latinosuperstud
^ well if hes at college or at home (with parents) then he will most likely not get the full potential of the thrity... and hear in michigan people whine when other are too loud...

the champ or valve jr allow to crank with out getting the local authorities called, or the r. a. on his back

Yes they do whine... stupid fucks
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Is there a site by chance where i could hear the two amps? I ask because I have 2 shops that I can go to, each one carries one of the options, but not the other. And I really would like to be able to hear them pretty close together.

i'd have thought if you can get to try them at all, even not head to head, that'll let you know more about them than head-to-head soundclips. I also don't know of any offhand, though i guess you could try youtube. problem with recordings is you don't know if you're hearing the gear of the recording equipment. also the quality of playing will affect how the thing sounds too.

as for no standby, just make sure your guitar's volume is down for about a minute before you start playing (when the amp is on, obviously).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just an update on the palominos! I tried them out with an epiphone les paul (the one I want), and a standard strat telecaster earlier today. And to be honest, It sounded bad. I realize that the amp is 100x better than my Fender Champion 100 POS, but I just couldn't get it to sound right I guess, though there was a good chance it was the guitars, or even that the amps themselves were just messed up, they were floor models after all. Can anyone else shed some light on the situation? What could it have been?
if you tried it out at gc... then the floor models do usually get ****ed... but honestly i still think you should try out the fender champ (its a tube so dont think its like yours) or a epi valve jr
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Cum'on guys, 30watt amps sound good at moderate volumes too, especially for blues etc, you don't really have to crank them all the way up to get a nice tone, 3/10 is more than ok I guess...
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
Ugh...these threads make me mad. All you get is n00bs saying "30 watts?!?!?! OVERKILL!"

Gah. No, its not overkill. I mean hey, I have a TRIPLE. RECTIFIER. and it sounds fine at low levels.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Ugh...these threads make me mad. All you get is n00bs saying "30 watts?!?!?! OVERKILL!"

Gah. No, its not overkill. I mean hey, I have a TRIPLE. RECTIFIER. and it sounds fine at low levels.

Triple Rectifier sounds more Preampy to me. When it comes to 30 Watt tubes, you have to get loud to get real distortion. Sure, They sound alright, but if you're doing bedroom practice, go for something lower.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Just an update on the palominos! I tried them out with an epiphone les paul (the one I want), and a standard strat telecaster earlier today. And to be honest, It sounded bad. I realize that the amp is 100x better than my Fender Champion 100 POS, but I just couldn't get it to sound right I guess, though there was a good chance it was the guitars, or even that the amps themselves were just messed up, they were floor models after all. Can anyone else shed some light on the situation? What could it have been?

I wasn't very impressed by the Palomino myself, it's a great amp and I can't say I got to really test the amp. However the ones i've messed around on were floor models, twice they didn't work right.

Anywho there are a lot of other tube amps in that price range and size.

Like the Fender Blues Junior, actually if I were you i'd also consider the Pro Junior which I really liked.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 16, 2007,
^i think the palominos have a Fuzz-like Overdrive, which is SO much like zeppelin. so why not?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^i think the palominos have a Fuzz-like Overdrive, which is SO much like zeppelin. so why not?

I don't really know, it's just one of those situations where you aren't into the tone lol.
I thought it had a slightly modern and boxy sound, keep in mind it's been over a year since I got to play the Palomino so I might like it now.
Last time I tried to play one in GC it turned on then seemed to have gone out and there was no sound so I couldn't play it. :

It wasn't bad or anything far from it the sound was good, just not what I was looking for.

I liked the Pro Junior best had the smooth light OD which I liked.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

^i see. for me, Pro Jr. was not the kind of amp i want... it's not heavy. 10" speaker makes it a bit boxy...i don't know. we all have our preferences.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Yeah, I suppose.
We may have different tastes, but we all have tastes in good amps.

30watts tube is alright, just have neighbors that aren't very anal about stuff like that. I have a 45 watt tub amp in my room, and I crank the thing frequently.
^ Yeah i've been considering one of the ceriatone copies.

^me too. but i think i'll go Deluxe Reverb first. there's an upgraded one like new on my local craigslist for $675... weber speaker, mullard nos tubes... yea.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Dave_Mc
, but it's still too loud for bedroom if you have to crank it to 10 to get the tone you want.

I've been having this problem playing along to songs on my stereo. I was playing a bunch of different albums today, and I was having a lot of trouble staying tight because most of what I was hearing was my Valve Junior which I had at 12 Oclock. I turned the stereo up full - still having trouble. So I moved the stereo speakers so they were at head level a foot away from me. Perfect foldback arangement. Trouble is having my head against a stereo turned up full is now starting to deaden my hearing. Sigh and grab a pair of earplugs. That took out the high frequency stuff which makes it easier to hear guitar parts. But then i was having trouble hearing the amp. Turn it up to 3 oclock. Bit more speaker distortion than i would have wanted, but still works.

So I end up playing for the next hour with a cranked speaker pointed right at my ear, amp gain on full and earplugs in. Walked back into the loungeroom when I was done practicing and my housemate didn't even comment, God love him. Musicians need to live with patient people.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I don't quite know if I was playing it right though...it sounds dumb...but I just couldn't get a clean out of the palomino V16. I haven't actually used an amp like that before, I was expecting to just turn up the master volume and hear it, but I had to turn up the drive to get any sound out of it, which kinda ruined the clean tone...so it might have been me just not knowing what I was doing...I do that a lot lol.
Page 1 of 2