i know thers a bunch of threads about this but w/e

Why do people hate bassists who use a pick??? As for me i use both and i like the different sounds of each style. I just dont get why people hate when bassists use a pick.

thoughts???
i play bass and although i am mainly a finger player, i also enjoy picking sometimes because it sounds cool. i think people resist picking a bass because its not the original, classic way of playing a bass. i say, who cares? it sounds cool so why not?
I do finger, and to me, it just seems like Kmchipower said, it's not the classic way of playing bass. My friend played guitar, then switched to bass, and still picks, I always thought it was because he was too lazy to learn finger picking. Just from my perspective though
It's generally considered that picking "is for noobs". Which is entirely wrong. Picking has many different styles and some of them are horrificly difficult(sweeping) to get used to. A pick player is just as talented as a finger player, and hundreds of pick players prove this.

Either way, use the search bar. I don't want to sound like a douche but these always result in flames, and you could just quite easily read through older topics to see peoples opinions without causing fights and such.
Maybe its just me, but i find picking to be much harder than fingering. The fingering motions were just so natural that i found it to be easy to learn. I also feel more in control of all the strings. With a pick, I feel detached from the bass and the strings.
Quote by kmchipower
Maybe its just me, but i find picking to be much harder than fingering. The fingering motions were just so natural that i found it to be easy to learn. I also feel more in control of all the strings. With a pick, I feel detached from the bass and the strings.

same here.
Quote by kmchipower

I'm with you on that one. One of the guitarists I play with is always telling me to learn to play with a pick, but on top of it just being easier and more comfortable for me, I like the smooth tone of finger picking over regular picking. That being said, I have no problems with people who use picks, in the end it's all just a preference thing.
I think its just because of all the threads from guitar player who decide to take up bass lazily and want the change to be as little as possible and can't be bothered to learn fingerstlye. I just dislike the pick tone and find I am faster and more accurate with fingers, so I hardly touch a pick.

I have no problem with those who try both ways and then decide on pick, but it just those who won't even try to learn fingerstyle because of guitar habits.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I hate playing with a pick, it just doesn't feel natural. However I dont mind other bassists that play with them.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I almost always play fingerstyle, but i have nothing against anyone using a pick. I worship Justin Chancellor =p I think ignorant bassists consider people who use a pick lazy because they believe that using a pick represents being a guitarist that isnt good enough to play guitar in a band, and becomes a root note basher. But thats just what i think =P
the essential reason if u ask me is bassists want to avoid being placed in the same category as guitarists. they wish to be distinct in other words, but still feel they belong to a group (ie bass players). its a subconscious even.

ive lately been using the pick alot, probably half the time now, the other half is split 90% slapping and 10% finger. why? cause im lazy and i dont wanna have to pluck my fingers through the string to get the sound i can easily get using a pick. plus i look cooler.
A lot of good points.
I mainly play finger style simply because of the music styles I play. It's also easier to switch to slap.

But if im playing punk or "indie" rock, i tend to use a pick just because it has a punchier tone. To each his own, of course.