link

i got a couple of questions about this amp... is it good for hardcore/metal and is it louder then a half stack?
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
It comes in 50w and 100w all-tube versions. It will therefore be as loud as a 50w or 100w halfstack respectively. Whether its sounds as good as a halfstack is another question.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
It comes in 50w and 100w all-tube versions. It will therefore be as loud as a 50w or 100w halfstack respectively. Whether its sounds as good as a halfstack is another question.

thanks, i have always wondered how to compare it or any other tube amp to a tube half stack and never thought of it that way....

i just need some loudness, cuz right now i play a non-tube crate thats 120w and isnt loud enough, and very soon my band will be playing shows so i need so good power
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
It is not a metal amp
It may say it is

But it is not!

But a dist pedal will make it into that

And no it isn't louder than a half stack, as a halfstack has twice as many speakers

Thus it moves half as much air

But 2x12 is still more than enough
I made a thread about it just a couple of days ago, so you might want to check that out.
We have 3 amps in my house, a 5150 an AC30, and the 2X12 Peavey valveking.

The 5150 is the best for metal, and the Valveking barely comes in at a distant second, lol!

It won't do it for hardcore, in my opinion.
Quote by chris_kedro
We have 3 amps in my house, a 5150 an AC30, and the 2X12 Peavey valveking.

The 5150 is the best for metal, and the Valveking barely comes in at a distant second, lol!

It won't do it for hardcore, in my opinion.

well then can you recommend a tube combo amp thats the same loudness and will be good for hardcore/metal
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
You'll need a nice overdrive pedal if you want to get metal out of a valveking.
WTLTL 2011
A good distortion pedal and a eventual speaker change might get you by. If you don't use cleans the Windsor head and a good cab (not the Windsor cab) would probably better for metal gigs, more ready for metal out-of-the-box. The VK is much more versatile and has better cleans. Some metal players are happy with it and a pedal. I don't play metal but have experimented a little and I find that the settings for modern metal do not agree too well with Valvekings (scooped mids and dimed gain.) Good for classic rock and blues.
Quote by uldhppi
A good distortion pedal and a eventual speaker change might get you by. If you don't use cleans the Windsor head and a good cab (not the Windsor cab) would probably better for metal gigs, more ready for metal out-of-the-box. The VK is much more versatile and has better cleans. Some metal players are happy with it and a pedal. I don't play metal but have experimented a little and I find that the settings for modern metal do not agree too well with Valvekings (scooped mids and dimed gain.) Good for classic rock and blues.

the main thing is i don't want a half stack... i can fit it in my car (scion tc) and cabs weigh 100lbs

if i got the vk and just got a tube screamer would it sound okay?
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by uldhppi

agreed. i've found, from my limited trying out, that it'll do for metal at a pinch if you're on a budget, presuming you play other stuff (i.e. need versatility) as well.

if you can't fit a halfstack in your car, presumably you could fit a head and 2x12 cab? that'd be a similar size to a 2x12 combo, presumably.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by B3RZ3RK3R
well then can you recommend a tube combo amp thats the same loudness and will be good for hardcore/metal

the new high-gain Vox amps seem pretty good...
haven't tried them...
they sound like ass, assuming you mean the all-tube "high-gainers"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. i've found, from my limited trying out, that it'll do for metal at a pinch if you're on a budget, presuming you play other stuff (i.e. need versatility) as well.

if you can't fit a halfstack in your car, presumably you could fit a head and 2x12 cab? that'd be a similar size to a 2x12 combo, presumably.

k then if i were to get a half stack with a 2x12 cabinet what should i get? i hear good things about randall...
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Yeah a Randall solid state might work for hardcore, maybe a Warhead if you'll buy used.
how about these two together
head
cab
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by heminder
these...
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixxl/

i don't know how they sound...
but i've heard good things of them...

oh ok, i haven't tried those (they aren't all-tube, by the way). i meant the ac50something-or-others.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by B3RZ3RK3R
k then if i were to get a half stack with a 2x12 cabinet what should i get? i hear good things about randall...

i'd probably go with a windsor or randall rg50t

best if you try everything you can though- as i said i haven't tried those solid state randalls.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?