I got a question has anyone ever tried slide bass? haha i think it could sound cool, I've just recently been getting into slide guitar a lot and wondered if anyone ever tried it w/ a bass
ive tried it with my metal slide, and you may think it sounds good, but after you try it, its not so much. unless youre sliding with your bass or its like an upright, it shouldnt be done in my opinion.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I've picked up a slide and used on my bass a couple of times. The notes weren't really clear, and it was really hard to get the really durastic "slide" effect. There was no harmonics, probably because of the string thickness and action of a bass.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
I can see why it would be a cool concept, but listen to the sliding on Give It Away. If a sound like that can be achieved just with fingers, why try anything else?
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
A fretless bass would sound a lot better.
Quote by Zawa122188
metz has it right man

Member of CRM (Classic Rock Movement)
PM ZeppelinFan3890 for info or to join

+ =

Member of the UG Conservative Party. PM cagnius to join.
Ive done it with a metal slide and it sounds bad. But I did it with a beer bottle once and it sounded okay, so maybe a glass slide would work. (Yes, they make glass slides, ive just never used one.)
Quote by MetzBlaze
A fretless bass would sound a lot better.

Ummm, no. Take my word for it, at least with a metal slide.
Quote by anarkee
Ummm, no. Take my word for it, at least with a metal slide.

I think he meant that a fretless bass sounds better than a slide bass.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Stefan Lessard does it as a live intro to Two Step.

It sounds amazing. He puts a few effects on it, and uses a glass slide.

But it does sound amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns45gc-Tfd0&mode=related&search=

That's not as good as the intro on The Best of What's Around Vol.1, but it does sound cool.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Stefan Lessard does it as a live intro to Two Step.

It sounds amazing. He puts a few effects on it, and uses a glass slide.

But it does sound amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns45gc-Tfd0&mode=related&search=

That's not as good as the intro on The Best of What's Around Vol.1, but it does sound cool.

Ok Nutter, I stand (or rather since I am typing) sit corrected. This is quite different than the metallic screech one gets with a metal slide. Very nice.
I've used a metal slide and the most audible thing was the scratching of the strings. It wasn't pleasant. Although I do believe that fretless bass is the bass equivalent of slide guitar.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Slide bass is only useful if you're out of the range of a bass. In the low notes it's useless, but high up it's okay, IMO.
haha
two things popped in my mind about a slide, on bass. first off, to make it work you would have to tune the bass to "A" or "G" so that a single barre gives you a chord. you can't do that in "E" tuning. second off, is the strings. because of the abrasive texture of round wounds, flat wounds might sound better. and when using a slide you must muffle the strings, behind the slide, or all you will hear is the slide, sliding!
i have no idea what i just wrote. thank you.