Page 1 of 2
I have been planning to build a guitar for a good six months now, because i need a metal guitar( well, not really need... more like want ) as i only have a squier strat at the moment. I bought some wood back in June, I have no idea what kind of wood it is, as it is simply what the guys at the wood depot called "timber". It's probably useless, but i am going to try. besides, we don't have a single shop in the faroes that sells quality wood. I wasn't home for most of the summer holidays, so it has just been sitting there, I have access to tools and professional advice (on woodworking, not guitarbuilding), I've been messing around with photoshop for a few days, combining a few body shapes. I used a Beast for top part ( i think. the horn may be a warlock), an Iceman (modified) for lower horn, and a Razorback for the lower back of the guitar.

I think it could use some improvements, especially where the beast meets the razorback.so please C&C.

P.S. I know. It's huge.

EDIT: design has changed a lot after this post. go to end of page for the new one.
Last edited by huldumadurin at Nov 15, 2007,

there. looks pretty cool, if i must say so myself. although, it doesn't look quite as "HEAVY!!!" anymore.not as many jagged edges. any suggestions on the transition in the back?
well... I don't know about the kiln. But i'll ask next time i see the guy in charge of it. i'm not building this for it to last for any length of time. I'm building it as a test, so I can be sure that i actually CAN build a guitar, before buying any expensive materials and building a new one. therefore , the dryness isn't that important i think. althoughit would be nice to have it last.

Only really big? I was going for huge. jk but i like the look of a big guitar
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
that thing is ugly.

That thing is amazing.

And I like the original better than the second one; the top horn on it is sick looking. But the other people are right, it'll still be pretty big. Personal preference though.
Try making it have a longer top horn and shorten the lower horn a bit.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
i think theyre both ugly so i made some improvements cz i was bored lol here you go.

the double horn with a shorter horn.

with the iceman horns, i think this one looks quite good.

i know the razor bits might not be how you want them i took them straight from a razorback. but again i think it looks better.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
admbwr's 2nd would b the way 2 go although merging 2 guitar shapes 2gether isnt an original idea and it never really looks right
Quote by admbwr
i think theyre both ugly so i made some improvements cz i was bored lol here you go.

i know the razor bits might not be how you want them i took them straight from a razorback. but again i think it looks better.

thoughtful, but i think those look worse than the TSs ideas tbh. i thought his original back horn looked kinda cool on a razorback imo.

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
that thing is ugly.

funny u should say that seeing as it bears quite a resembalence to ur avatar :p
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

I ditched the iceman, and I think this is pretty much the final design.

Now to find out where that wood went. Hmm...
Last edited by huldumadurin at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by huldumadurin

I think this is pretty much the final design.

That's what came to my mind when I started reading this thread. A shorter lower beasthorn. Keep it like that. Good luck!
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
well... I don't know really. I just happen to like pointy guitars. I just want the shape to match the sound ( the sound i'm hoping i can get anyway) which is an extreme amount of attack, and a really screeching distorted sound. Other than that, i don't know.

Does anyone know what pickups would be good for the sound described above? I know alot of it depends on the wood, but i want to compensate for the crappy wood with the right pickups. preferably not too expensive though.
well, duh. That's the point !
Quote by huldumadurin

I ditched the iceman, and I think this is pretty much the final design.

BITCHIN'!!!!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
damn... My dad just told me i might have problems getting the spots circled in red look good (basically all the pointy bits. )

oh, and i forgot to mention, that i'm planning to bevel the edges. maybe make the bevel a slightly different color, too. Any suggestions for color would be welcome.
Also, i am wondering where the hell i would place the strap button on this guitar
Looks sweet, but yah you may have to hand tool the pointy bits >: ), that put a smile on my face "Pointy bits," because a router may chip them off. It's going to be hard but you may want to think about getting close with a power tool, and finishing it up with a slow sanding process.

Also make shure if you ever decide to break it, go for the flame commenters who add no opionion >: )>
Yep, lots of finicky hand tool work to do, but I think it will look great! Don't do the final pointing or shaping of those bits until the control cavity, pickup and neck routing are finished, as well as any other body shaping you may want to do. That way, you don't run the risk of an unintended reshape being required. Carry the theme into the headstock as well, and it'll be killer!
Last edited by Vulcan at Sep 15, 2007,
Does anyone know a good place to get necks, with just a square piece of wood for headstock, so i can make my own? If possible, in Europe? And it doesn't matter if they're a bit poor quality.

Also, what do you think? pickguard, or no pickguard? I'm kinda leaning towards no pickguard, because A: It would be pretty hard to design a pickguard that goes well with the body. and B.This kind of guitar doesn't really need a pickguard. although a brushed metal one would look pretty cool.
The thing is, if i don't have a pickguard, wherewould i keep my picks?
I'm really sorry for bumping here, but i really need some help
My Build! The Razorbeast Could really use some help.

I am always right. and if I am always right, my first statement about always being right, by simple logic, must be true, thus proving that I am always right. dependency loops rule.
BADASS!! I love the design! Your dad is right though. It is very difficult to make those sharp corners, but it is possible.
Quote by huldumadurin
Also, what do you think? pickguard, or no pickguard?

I would say no pickguard. I really think it would take away from the monstrous look. Besides, why ruin a beautiful design with a worthless piece of plastic? Also, you were talking about painting the bevels a different color from the body, I think it would look amazing painted black with purple bevels.

"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Do it. Purple is metal
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
That purple bevel thing is a great idea. i might just do that. although maybe a bit darker purple . how would you guys like a brushed metal plate for where the knobs are? maybe a skull, tribal thingy (although i generally don't like those) etc. ?

Also does anyone know where to get a cheap neck where i can saw out my own headstock?

I am always right. and if I am always right, my first statement about always being right, by simple logic, must be true, thus proving that I am always right. dependency loops rule.
id go neon green but that is just me...what would be cool is like if you could replicate the bottom of a CD and put that around the edges and have some kind of mirror rainbow effect around the outside! that would be hot id buy that guitar
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
The cd thing is actually an extremely thin and smooth layer of aluminum. So if anyone can give me any hints on applying such a layer, i'd be happy to try it on some scrap wood. although normal tin/lead solder makes a pretty shiny finish too, and that would be easier to apply as well.prolly try tomorrow.

The solder thing is scrapped i think. It just wouldn't stick to the wood.

I'm thinking of blood red pinstripes and maybe a gloss finish over a black satin one, and then just have masked out satin skulls in random spots on the body. so the would only be visible when the light is just right.

And does anyone know of any pups that work well with distortion, without losing the treble? preferably humbuckers.
Also, I'm bugging my dad to get in touch with the guy with the powertools so i can get started.

well... I once found some site, that had necks with just a blank piece of wood for the headstock. I think making a design myself is cooler

Quote by admbwr

The top design is pretty much exactly the same as the guy from Primal Fear

Quote by huldumadurin
well... I once found some site, that had necks with just a blank piece of wood for the headstock. I think making a design myself is cooler

You could probally use this:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/24frrohenefi.html

FOr 32 bucks I would give it a shot.

If you are doing a Flloyd rose that is.... and IMO that guitar needs a Floyd!
But what does rounded heel mean? will it make it harder to put together/route?

Also, why that exact neck for a floyd rose?

I'd put the strap buttons in it's butt and one behind the neck joint.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
http://store.guitarfetish.com/blflroflotrs.html

This one looks pretty cheap, so i might get this one. it sure looks cool :P
But what is so special about floyd roses anyway? do they bend both ways or something? stupid question, i know, but please, serious answers only.

Page 1 of 2