Okay, so my stepdads friend had his old axe laying around that he hasnt played in years (hes gonna get a mia strat) so he gave it to me. At first glance it looks like an old yellowish white fender strat w/ a rosewood fretboard...but if you look really close at the headstock it says "squire series" really small in the round part of the headstock. Its Mik. I didnt know there were ever guitars like that. I think it sounds nice unplugged but right now the electronics are screwed...he had a tonezone and two single coil humbuckers in there. I now have the tonezone and one sc hum in my strat, I left the neck pup although I had a sc humbucker and it sounded fine there. So anyway are the gfs loaded pg's any good? I'm looking at this (http://store.guitarfetish.com/prpiastoshwi.html). Also, has anyone ever heard of a guitar matching that description? Just curious. I love the thing, it just needs new electronics and a good clean up and rewiring. It needs to be set up too, he has the bridge flat but I want to make this vintage strat so I'll set it up floating. This isnt gonna get done till like xmas when I have spare cash again...
The link is only going to the homepage.
Do you mean the hand-wired ones (the ones with gfs pickups), or the other ones?
The ones that aren't gfs pickups suck. Seriously. They have ceramic magnets and bad quality. One plus is, they have nice pots. But that doesn't help when the pickups stink.
The GFS loaded ones are actually pretty good (well, GFS makes pretty good pickups). Also, they are loaded with orange drop caps and CTS pots.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
its not hand wired but it cant be that bad...

and if they suck that bad I can put the neck and mid that were originally in my MIM and throw a sc sized hum in the bridge...

but I need the pots and all anyway, even if I have to get new pups down the line...
sorry for the double post but this is a different question. Does anyone else have cracks in the paint around the neck joint? This one has em pretty bad and my mim is getting a small one. Its just the paint as far as I can tell, but I just want to know if anyone else has this problem.
Quote by livrockdie
sorry for the double post but this is a different question. Does anyone else have cracks in the paint around the neck joint? This one has em pretty bad and my mim is getting a small one. Its just the paint as far as I can tell, but I just want to know if anyone else has this problem.

I dont but I know they're normal. Its from the wood expanding and contracting and the stress from the bolt on neck. I know some guitars (warlocks are known for this) are horrible with them but Its purely asthetic I belive
cool.

I heard that ceramic magnet sc's have really bad cleans. Is that true? How bad is it?
i heard they were bad bought bought one just cause i was short on money, and the middle-neck positions actually are suprisingly good. the bridge is a little harsh but i dont use the bridge on a strat. i think you should buy them if you are short on cash and need a decent set of pups/wiring/pickgaurd
Yeah, you could always buy one as a starter set, and upgrade it as you go along.
thrice07: Maybe they sounded good because everything sounds good through an orange.
On most amps, ceramic SC's are bad. They seem to be pretty good for bridge humbuckers though. Nice and crunchy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ceramic ones are really crisp unlike alnicos. alnico magnets tend to make pickups warmer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, you could always buy one as a starter set, and upgrade it as you go along.
thrice07: Maybe they sounded good because everything sounds good through an orange.
On most amps, ceramic SC's are bad. They seem to be pretty good for bridge humbuckers though. Nice and crunchy.

possibly, but im only talking about the clean channel with an sd-1 or super low game on the gain channel. with a lot of gain they sound pretty bad, but i dont use my strat for gain so its not a big deal.
^Good idea. If the neck pickup is good in a strat... that's really all you need.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator