Hey all i have a hot rod deluxe 112 and i love the cleans, but when i turn it on the drive channel i still love the tones i get , but on the (more) drive channel (RED) its a little harsh and i have the prescence on mabye 6 but have gone lower and the gain on like 4. I was looking for suggestions on new tubes to recuce the nosiness of the drive channels and tame the harshness of the (more) drive channel
you cant just swap out tubes and get a better sound. its the design of the amp that makes it sound that way (like poo on drive). you can get it biased hotter w/ new tubes. or you can mod it but idk much about modding amps.
Well Enough Alone
That's a common complaint with that amp. You might switch tubes or the speaker to smooth it out a little. Its an idea worth pursuing. A little beyond my purvue. I'd try posting in "The Gear Building and Customizing" thread for more knowledable responses.
Avoid the more drive channel and invest in a quality OD pedal instead.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ibanez TS9! ftw
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Common problem with the hotrod.
Thats why I got a peavey classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have the same amp My advice is to avoid the more drive channel altogether, use the regular drive channel for the warm stuff and buy a good OD or distortion pedal for the heavier stuff.
[SIZE=
good idea i tried out the new tube screamer ( the 40$ one) and i liked it...but are you sure that changeing the tubes and getting it rebiased wont do anything?
Quote by guitarbite.fire
good idea i tried out the new tube screamer ( the 40$ one) and i liked it...but are you sure that changeing the tubes and getting it rebiased wont do anything?

All the money you're thinking about putting into a tube change/rebias right now... you'd be wiser investing that in a QUALITY OD pedal. Something like a TS9 or 808 (or the Maxon equivalents) or a Fulltone OCD, etc. Lots of great ones out there. The $40 one is unlikely to be nearly as good.

Changing out the tubes could give you some improvements in the amp, but the "more drive" channel will always be a weak spot. Best just to not use it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The Hot Rod is a great sounding amp clean, especially with single coils, but the overdrive is decidedly wanky.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com