Well, as some of you know I'm building my own footswitch. Problem is, I have no idea what to do. I need a two button switch, one for channel and one for effects. This will be for my AD15VT. Here's what I got so far. Big pics.

Question:

What will I need to complete this job? So far I have a spare cable and I have my soldering tools. Plus, I have green and red LEDs.

*NOTE* - PLEASE do not tell me to get push button switches. I want to be unique. Or, I was just stupid when I bought them. Unless, I would need two SPST switches instead of the DPDT switches I have now. Then I'd get the push buttons.

Thanks UG
Ben
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Sep 14, 2007,
Umm, are those toggle switches? Thats gunna be awfully awkward to kick with your foot

Ive got a tutorial laying around for a cube 30 footswitch, which has two momentary switches. Im not sure if your amp would take momentary buttons or on/off buttons.

The footswitch works by shorting the tip of the jack to the sleeve, for effects and channel changing you need to get a stereo jack.

Anyway, tutorial here.

What you'll need:
  • A length of 4 core wire
  • 2 momentary switches (the kind that dont click)
  • A project box that fits your switches
  • a stereo male jack

The finished project should look something like this

The one on the left i have tilted on purpose so in know which one is the ch switch, and which is the EFX.

(i dont have pics of this)
Youll need to drill holes in the top of the box the right size for the switches, another hole in the size for the cable to fit through.

Place the wire through the side of the box and put your switches in their holes. Choose 2 colours for ground and 2 colours for the tips, these will be your different channel and efx changers. Take one set of wires and solder them to the 2 points on the switch. Do the same with the other set. It should look like this.

Then take your stereo jack and unscrew the back, you'll probably have to use a multimeter to test which tab goes to what tip. Once you have found them solder your 2 ground wires to the tab that goes to the large sleeve. Solder you channel changing wire to the tab that goes to the top. And the EFX wire to the one that goes to the extra stereo part. Should look like this
Well, I mean, I know you have more knowledge then me about this, but wouldn't having extra lugs not affect anything? Like if you have 6 lugs but only use 2, it would just act as a SPST switch right? If it's absolutely necessary to the project I'll change 'em out, but I just want to make sure. If you're positive it won't work, I'll take your word for it.
Ben
The switch SHOULD work, like the switch you have there would be like,

Thought if you got a SPST, it would be almost the same.

Though for momentary its a job like this

Last edited by Dark_Merlin at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by muffinman123192
Well, I mean, I know you have more knowledge then me about this, but wouldn't having extra lugs not affect anything? Like if you have 6 lugs but only use 2, it would just act as a SPST switch right? If it's absolutely necessary to the project I'll change 'em out, but I just want to make sure. If you're positive it won't work, I'll take your word for it.

In the case of a DPDT being used instead of a SPDT, yes, that'd be true - 100 % positive on that.

But on a DPDT for a SPST...I'm not positive. Just saying my Traynor's SPDT switch did not work correctly for my VJ+ when it needed a SPST.
Ok, well here's what I'll do. I'll try to do this project with the DPDT's, and if it doesn't work I'll go with the SPST switches.

Next Question, how do I go about putting the LED's in with my DPDT's. Basically, what do I need, where do I wire it to, etc.

And thanks Dark Merlin.
Ben
Okay, I've got my jacks. Bad news is they're 3 conductor, so I will be using 2 jacks, one for CH and the other one FX. Hokay, next question. How do I wire this if I wanna put my LEDs in?
Ben
Does the amp you're using have seperate jacks for efx and channels? Because if not, you have to wire those up to just one stereo jack, with shared ground.
Yeah, I realized that I'm just going to have an extra jack now, but not even one of them works. Where should the wires go on both the jacks and the switches?
Nevermind I figured it out.
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Oct 12, 2007,
As far as i understand what you had wired SHOULD work.

But i dont really understand that diagram, when i said shared ground i meant, the ground goes to both jacks. This diagram should show what i mean

and with a mono jack for each thing it should be like this.

Hope that explains it for you

Oh and those red crosses are to say, you dont need to use the second pole set. Just one of them. I just forgot to put them on the mono diagram.